Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd vs Forerunner Power?
Quote | Reply
This has been on my mind for a while and was inspired by the recent Stryd thread. Has anyone compared the running power on the newer Garmin Forerunner's with Stryd power?

I have only tried the power on a Forerunner 945 with their HRM Tri chest strap. I found the power output to be all over the place even when running at a steady pace on a flat track. I intentionally setup a test and tried to hold the power as consistent as possible and the power varied by +/- 25-50 watts in ideal circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd vs Forerunner Power? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I am a cofounder of Stryd

This study that compared Stryd against other run power meter offerings may be of interest to you: https://www.outsideonline.com/...ter-comparison-study
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve tested the Garmin power app and I’m not very enthusiastic. My bike FTP is around 270-280W at 63 kg. On an easy run at about 4.50min/km the Garmin Power app read 319W average, so over 5W/kg. Either I turned into a world class pro over night, or the numbers are just wrong. It deed seem to be sort of consistent. Going uphill it slightly increased and going down it decreases.

Some reading material https://fellrnr.com/...Garmin_Running_Power
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd vs Forerunner Power? [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you have an expectation that bike and run would be the same?

I mean I think the running power stuff is all hooey and applesauce, but why should the two be the same as they are very different activities and muscle activations.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd vs Forerunner Power? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I assume it’s mostly defined by your Cardiovascular system and not so much by muscle activation.

See https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ling_power_P2672794/ for a comparison between rowing and cycling. Although there’s a difference, it’s not enormous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been running with garmin power for almost a year now. I believe the values it shows are higher than stryd based on a deliberate decision by garmin, but consistently so. Therefore I don’t worry about absolute numbers so much as consistency. Running power is a workload based significantly on form and efficiency. Unlike cycling power, there isn’t much form variability on pushing a crank arm in a circle. It’s taken me a while to stop comparing pace to power and just more rely on power when running. Pace is my outcome. I can run way faster on my treadmill than overground, but still use the same power to guide me and make my workouts similar in two different environments. Stick with it, the efficiency and form made a big deal in my understandings.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd vs Forerunner Power? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
I’ve been running with garmin power for almost a year now. I believe the values it shows are higher than stryd based on a deliberate decision by garmin, but consistently so. Therefore I don’t worry about absolute numbers so much as consistency. Running power is a workload based significantly on form and efficiency. Unlike cycling power, there isn’t much form variability on pushing a crank arm in a circle. It’s taken me a while to stop comparing pace to power and just more rely on power when running. Pace is my outcome. I can run way faster on my treadmill than overground, but still use the same power to guide me and make my workouts similar in two different environments. Stick with it, the efficiency and form made a big deal in my understandings.

Agreed, I don't particularly care if my "number" is 200 or 800 as long as it is consistent and accurate within itself. The reason I'm not training using run power is that the Garmin number fluctuates so wildly that it is difficult to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
Because I assume it’s mostly defined by your Cardiovascular system and not so much by muscle activation.

See https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ling_power_P2672794/ for a comparison between rowing and cycling. Although there’s a difference, it’s not enormous.

My FTP is 250W on the bike, and a Z3 run gets me power readings over 300W on Stryd; so the two aren't remotely comparable.

As other posters have mentioned, it's just key that the number is consistent within the one sport. For me the Stryd is helpful to avoid overdoing it on short, sharp uphills; and for preventing easing off too much on downhills. The main reason to get one though (IMO) is for instantaneous pace (GPS-based is all over the place).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:

Bullshit. I can hit 1000W pretty easily in a sprint on my bike. I have never seen a wattage on my stryd that exceeds watts in the 400’s. The variance in
power on the bike is quite high, in the run, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd vs Forerunner Power? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer, I own a Stryd:) I find the Stryd to be extremely accurate and consistent over time. have found it to be a great training tool, despite being a veteran triathlete who ran in high school and college totally based on "feel".

Some great things I have learned since getting the Stryd a few years ago

1. I was running too hard uphill, and not hard enough downhill.
2. Weight matters for running..even more than I thought...which was a lot. I am currently about 14 lbs over my racing weight, but still reasonable fit. My Zone 2 Running Power when I was very fit was around 300 Watts. That got me 6:45-6:50 per mile when I weighed 160 but 7:30 per mile currently when I weigh 174. Yikes..
3. With my running background I can maintain my aerobic power with relatively low running mileage (15-25) if I supplement with a lot of easy biking. This is great news for me as, I am getting older.
4. My Biking and Running prowess are very similar at this point in my life. My Biking FTP when I am (lol was) super fit was 340-350. My Running FTP was about 20-30 watts higher or 360-370 for a similar fitness level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a stryd but have a garmin hrm tri and they will be different. It is just a number and relative. As long as to you know what power you want to hit on each device and it is consistent it is all good.
Quote Reply