Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd or Garmin Virtual Run for Zwift
Quote | Reply
I haven’t used the Virtual Run app yet but have used Treadmill app on my Garmin 745 (w/an HRM-Pro). I’m not super pumped on how off the calibration is sometimes after my mill sessions. Maybe it’s Garmin, maybe it’s my mill, but I trust my mill more than my 745 and adjust my Garmin distance to that of the mill. Anyway… I plan on shifting into the Zwift universe here shortly and I’m wondering from those experienced amongst us, how does Garmin’s treadmill running capability compare with Stryd’s pod in general, but specifically integrating into Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd or Garmin Virtual Run for Zwift [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found the NPE Runn Sensor as an option too. That looks really interesting. Thoughts on all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've used NPE and virtual run for zwift. NPE is far superior. even after calibrating my garmin multiple times it is still somewhat off. if it is good at reading lower speeds like 7mph, it is terrible at faster speeds 9-10 mph. some times it is the other way ( intervals are correct, bur resting pace is way off) NPE is spot on almost all the time. NPE will also give you treadmill elevation data which is great if you log that for hillclimb practice etc. cant speak to Stryde but people love it and you can use it for power and outside.

i use NPE on home treadmill, and used virtual run while traveling. VR runs are typically 5-10% off in terms of distance (compared to treadmill display.)
Last edited by: jflan: Sep 24, 22 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:
I just found the NPE Runn Sensor as an option too. That looks really interesting. Thoughts on all?

I have used all 3 and will second the Runn recommendation. No comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd or Garmin Virtual Run for Zwift [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here - use the Runn and am very impressed with it's accuracy and stability over time. Great device for Zwift running.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NPE Runn Sensor, no question. I tried using my Fenix 6 virtual run feature and found it was very dependent on how fast I was swinging my arms and if I stop[ed swinging my watch side for a few seconds, my avatar would stop running.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Runn sensor will be consistent, but will most likely read faster than your actual pace. With most treadmills the belt speeds up while both feet are in the air. Stryd will also be consistent, won't overestimate pace, can be used outside for power and instantaneous pace, and can be used on treadmills while traveling.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd or Garmin Virtual Run for Zwift [PVD04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PVD04 wrote:
The Runn sensor will be consistent, but will most likely read faster than your actual pace. With most treadmills the belt speeds up while both feet are in the air. Stryd will also be consistent, won't overestimate pace, can be used outside for power and instantaneous pace, and can be used on treadmills while traveling.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'd like to only spend on one; Stryd or Runn. I'll look deeper at Stryd, as it would be good to have their data available outside too. It just sounds like there are/could-be some accuracy issues on a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken record, but RUNN is great. I had it on my older treadmill for a while, but that treadmill eventually met its maker. I got a newer one that has bluetooth built in for speed, so I sold the RUNN - it worked great while I had it.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes some tweaking, but you can adjust the calibration factor on your Stryd to better match your treadmill. IMO, the Stryd has more functionality if you want to start to learn to run with power, or gain other metrics. The NPE Runn is bomb proof though - I thoroughly enjoy mine.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd or Garmin Virtual Run for Zwift [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to notice if calibrating the Stryd to a mill at say 8min/mile pace (or something easy) maintained accuracy when doing much harder intervals (say 6min/mile)? Or is it more of it holding calibration around the speed you calibrated it to?

Thanks!
Quote Reply