Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago Stryd contacted me and gave me a power meter and a plane ticket to spend the day with Ben Kanute and Jim Vance. Ben is in San Diego in final prep for The Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. They gave me no plans / direction on the video. What do you guys want to see and what questions do you have for Ben / Jim.

PS: I thought about taking the money and flying to do a power meter running video with Dark Mark. Thoughts on that as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to see Ben do a lactate set in the pool. Running with a power meter? Not sure what to look for. I am interested in watching it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How has running with power changed his run training.
How often does he run with power?

If he could only keep one power meter...on the bike or on the run, which one would he choose? And why.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to know what they are using in terms of the FTP equivalent for running 'power' and how closely this correlates with running pace. Specifically do they see a tangible benefit to doing a run workout at XXX power (I have no idea what units Stryd reports in) vs doing the same workout at X:XX min/mile.

If you are going to convince me to buy a running power meter you need to provide evidence that the numbers you give me are more useful than what I can get from a standard GPS and footpod. And I am sure I am not the only one who holds this opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Specifically do they see a tangible benefit to doing a run workout at XXX power (I have no idea what units Stryd reports in) vs doing the same workout at X:XX min/mile.

If you are going to convince me to buy a running power meter you need to provide evidence that the numbers you give me are more useful than what I can get from a standard GPS and footpod. And I am sure I am not the only one who holds this opinion.

Yeah I mostly have questions for Stryd about how they handle changes in incline and surface hardness. Those are the situations where the proportion of work done by the muscles changes. Both with respect to which muscles are working and how much ligaments are contributing to maintaining a given pace.

Hearing Ben’s input to situations like that would be interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it is technologically feasible, but it would be interesting to see a live/simultaneous power reading while Ben is going through some different workouts. For example, show us an easy run around the track to establish a baseline power number then show us some faster paces, some sprints, hill repeats, try running downhill, etc. I'm interested to see how the power changes when running 1 min/mi faster, spikes or drops when going up and down hills, that kind of thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

If he could only keep one power meter...on the bike or on the run, which one would he choose? And why.

If you could choose between only one of your kids, which one would you choose? And why?

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 "I want to know what they are using in terms of the FTP equivalent for running 'power' and how closely this correlates with running pace. Specifically do they see a tangible benefit to doing a run workout at XXX power (I have no idea what units Stryd reports in) vs doing the same workout at X:XX min/mile.

If you are going to convince me to buy a running power meter you need to provide evidence that the numbers you give me are more useful than what I can get from a standard GPS and footpod. And I am sure I am not the only one who holds this opinion. "

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Last edited by: TizzleDK: May 23, 18 22:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago Stryd contacted me and gave me a power meter and a plane ticket to spend the day with Ben Kanute and Jim Vance. Ben is in San Diego in final prep for The Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. They gave me no plans / direction on the video. What do you guys want to see and what questions do you have for Ben / Jim.

PS: I thought about taking the money and flying to do a power meter running video with Dark Mark. Thoughts on that as well?

TBH, if you want to come to Phoenix you can hang out on my couch when I start fully rehabbing from from this broken collar-bone, not as fast as Dark Mark but also not a troll...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

If you could choose between only one of your kids, which one would you choose? And why?

WTF kinda response is that?

It's legitimate question.

Of course it would be ideal to have both, but last time I looked, Stryd isn't giving away power meters.

If I had X dollars to spend on a power meter, would I get more bang for the buck on the bike or on the run?

I suspect your reply to my question tells me all I need to know about running with power vs biking with power..... when you don't have the facts to back up the hype, fire back with the stupid questions.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure my 17 month old can match Marks running power
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
JimVance wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

Of course it would be ideal to have both, but last time I looked, Stryd isn't giving away power meters.

If I had X dollars to spend on a power meter, would I get more bang for the buck on the bike or on the run?

I suspect your reply to my question tells me all I need to know about running with power vs biking with power..... when you don't have the facts to back up the hype, fire back with the stupid questions.

Easy tiger. I think you get my point, both are valuable. Stryd power meter costs about $200. Very affordable.

Plenty of people are slamming run power. Most of these people aren’t comfortable with trying something they don’t understand. Meanwhile Kanute continues to use it and show tremendous progress in his run. Paces nearly perfectly at 70.3 Worlds and finishes 2nd, when most predicted he would blow, including the announcers, all while monitoring his run watts.

There’s plenty to explain in terms of benefits. In fact, I wrote a book about it. I think you should consider adding it to your reading list. I also have webinars I’ve given in it that can be found at Stryd’s website.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
JimVance wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

Easy tiger. I think you get my point, both are valuable. Stryd power meter costs about $200. Very affordable.

Plenty of people are slamming run power. Most of these people aren’t comfortable with trying something they don’t understand. Meanwhile Kanute continues to use it and show tremendous progress in his run. Paces nearly perfectly at 70.3 Worlds and finishes 2nd, when most predicted he would blow, including the announcers, all while monitoring his run watts.

There’s plenty to explain in terms of benefits. In fact, I wrote a book about it. I think you should consider adding it to your reading list. I also have webinars I’ve given in it that can be found at Stryd’s website.

Whatever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd ask them how I should account for wind and high temperatures in my pacing efforts and how is power superior to pace and RPE in such situations?
That and why do they persistently tell people not to calibrate their stryd units when many people are finding they can be 5%+ out when they do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, wow dude.

You can also pace a half marathon perfectly using a stop watch and intelligence.

If YOU had to choose between a bike power meter and a run power meter, which would YOU choose?

I think the answer is obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

Well, only one is actually a power meter, soooo......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what you're saying is, you'd choose the cute, smart, funny power meter that isn't an asshole, and throw the other one down a well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Stryd Live to run on Zwift, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I know some people haven't been as receptive to running on Zwift as they have been with cycling, but I'm actually enjoying it.

So Stryd is offering to let me updrade to full power for $100 (which is the difference between the stryd live and the full stryd, so they are apparently the same device, just with different software enabled) and I'm tempted to do it, I just don't really understand what benefit I get that I don't get from pacing and pace zones. I live in Florida, so it's not like I'm running a lot of hills. So I'd be curious to know the answer to this question as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
judging from some of the posts, running with power is f*&ing too hard for some of the people here; what do you mean you have to read a book and dissect multiple metrics?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Haha, wow dude.

You can also pace a half marathon perfectly using a stop watch and intelligence.

If YOU had to choose between a bike power meter and a run power meter, which would YOU choose?

I think the answer is obvious.

What happens when your half marathon isn't flat? That stop watch is gonna be a lot less useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't figure out the difference between an uphill and a downhill a footpod powermeter isn't gonna help you.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your statement has nothing to do with my post.

If you're running at 5:40/mi on the flats, and then come across a hill with a 6% gradient, that stopwatch / GPS watch is essentially useless with regards to pacing. Whereas the power meter will factor in thee gradient, similar to a bike power meter. Ben's best results in non-draft events were at Alcatraz and 70.3 Worlds, both of which had solid elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I want to know what they are using in terms of the FTP equivalent for running 'power' and how closely this correlates with running pace. Specifically do they see a tangible benefit to doing a run workout at XXX power (I have no idea what units Stryd reports in) vs doing the same workout at X:XX min/mile.

In my experience, Styrd power is highly correlated to pace on a flat road (especially a track). Here's some data from a workout of mine, if you're curious: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...RUVQWMZWP65NU4AZ6S7U.

This was a 5 x 1km workout on the track. The correlation between power and pace for the kilometer repeats was > 0.9, which if very high for real datasets (especially with the margins of error on both the GPS watch and the power meter).

With regards to "doing a run workout at XXX power ... vs doing the same workout at X:XX min/mile": yes, this is precisely what I do. For example, in that workout above I was averaging 307 W and 3:13 per repeat. With that knowledge I go out and do 5 x 3:10 @ 305-310 W on a solid hill. You get a solid amount of work done with a lot less pounding of the legs :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
JimVance wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

Dude...that whizzing sound and burst of air was his joke flying over your head. Are you tapering? 😂

In all seriousness, I hope Ben got some compensation from Stryd because his 70.3 Worlds run performance was a perfect advertisement for them. That even, squeeze every drop, run on a non-flat (right?) course is the promise.

Jim has some interesting data on pacing at Kona that highlights the dangers of going out too hard. If this product works as advertised, it could certainly help with all that.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd gave me a power meter, a budget, and a day at Ben Kanute's training Camp with Jim Vance [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
With that knowledge I go out and do 5 x 3:10 @ 305-310 W on a solid hill. You get a solid amount of work done with a lot less pounding of the legs :)

very smart!
Quote Reply

Prev Next