Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd Users
Quote | Reply
A few questions.
1. Without calibration, have you found stryd to be pretty accurate in terms of pace while using a treadmill? Was it accurate out of the box?

2. Does stryd recognize hills (incline), while on a treadmill.

3. Would you buy it again or just stick with a Garmin pod for the treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) My Stryd was 3% off. I calibrated it and incredibly consistent no matter what pace. Matched a heavy duty Lifecycle treadmill but not the smaller Precor model.

2) Didn't seem to notice the incline of the treadmill, but definitely inclines outside like underpasses.

3) My calibrated foot pod was close enough to the Stryd, but you don't get power. Stryd was better but not for $200 unless you really want power. I'd buy the Stryd again since I still prefer to run outside and quite happy with the power.
Last edited by: karlw2000: Dec 29, 17 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) yes. My Stryd was accurate on the TM straight out of the box. I simply put the auto calibration off then manually entered 100. There are some that need to calibrate on a track before but many are fine with 100.

2) no it does not recognize any grade over 1% so you will have to use the app and input the grade using the scroll bar. It’s a pain in the ass but doable

3) definitely buy again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful comparing treadmill speed to speed measured using the Stryd. Unless you have a particularly heavy-duty 'mill, the belt will run slower when your foot is in contact with it and faster when you are airborne. As a result, the treadmill will overestimate your actual speed, essentially as a result of crediting you for distance you didn't in fact cover when airborne.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Pretty good out of the box

2. I don't know

3. The jury is still out on that one, I'm just getting out of the "all easy running" phase of my run training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Not accurate, but then neither is my Garmin watch. I just set the appropriate distance after
2. No. It used to use an altimeter to understand incline so didn't work on a treadmill. I think that's still the case.
3. On the fence. If you live somewhere undulating I think it's a great tool to learn how to evenly pace your effort (i.e. varied speed). It's useful though on days where my legs feel crap or my HR is at an abnormal level and I want to know if I'm still outputting the same power.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. As someone who spends the Majority of my time on the treadmill it doesn’t make much sense if accurate power through my watch can’t be achieved because it can’t recognize incline without some effort. For the money, I would need as little hassle as possible. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a Stryd, so I've only run a few times with it. Out of the box it was measuring a tad slow (~5-8 sec per mile) on the treadmill (I also did a calibration test on my treadmill to find out how accurate my treadmill was) and with a little tweaking it's now spot on. My Garmin footpod was always off, especially if I changed pace during a run. It didn't handle pace changes well at all, and a change in cadence threw it off a lot too. I've tried changing pace and cadence to see if I could throw off the Stryd and it's been really accurate. That alone is worth it for me.

------------
My Blog | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Be careful comparing treadmill speed to speed measured using the Stryd. Unless you have a particularly heavy-duty 'mill, the belt will run slower when your foot is in contact with it and faster when you are airborne. As a result, the treadmill will overestimate your actual speed, essentially as a result of crediting you for distance you didn't in fact cover when airborne.

And that’s assuming the treadmill is actually correct too which doesn’t seem to generally be the case. Even my landice is about .4-.5 off.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I just got a Stryd, so I've only run a few times with it. Out of the box it was measuring a tad slow (~5-8 sec per mile) on the treadmill (I also did a calibration test on my treadmill to find out how accurate my treadmill was) and with a little tweaking it's now spot on.

See my comment above. You really shouldn't use a treadmill to adjust your Stryd (unless having them match is more important than having one of them to be correct).
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

And that’s assuming the treadmill is actually correct too which doesn’t seem to generally be the case. Even my landice is about .4-.5 off.

Yup, that too. We have an older Pacemaster that is 4.0% fast when nobody is running on it, and 1.2% fast even when somebody is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
A few questions.
1. Without calibration, have you found stryd to be pretty accurate in terms of pace while using a treadmill? Was it accurate out of the box?

2. Does stryd recognize hills (incline), while on a treadmill.

3. Would you buy it again or just stick with a Garmin pod for the treadmill?

1. Very accurate when going with a calibration factor of 100.0. Make sure you disavle autocalibrate.

2. Haven't tried.

3. Not sure. While it definitely does give better pace than a garmin footpod, I don't find running power as useful as cycling power. I guess I'm just more used to pacing myself off of HR. In addition I keep getting dropouts from the Stryd, approx once every 10 mins, which is very annoying. Tried reporting it to the Stryd people and suggesting that it might be defective, but didn't get any help. So apparently dropouts are to be expected (using a Fenix 3).
Quote Reply