Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd, Garmin, AppleTv & Zwift Combo Question
Quote | Reply
Greetings Slowtwitch! I'm hoping you can help me with a head scratcher...

Zwift's update email moments ago reminded me to get this posted. It reminded me that I wanted to ask here because in my research I haven’t found anything on this… I’m soft when it comes to cold temps. Less than 40f and I’m indoors. Fortunately, I have a treadmill to run on or I would be hurting during the winter months (Washington State). I have a Stryd pod, an AppleTv & Zwift. I connect the pod to the ATv & Zwift via my Forerunner 745’s Virtual Run mode. This is the best way I’ve found to record my runs, with power to Training Peaks & view my metrics real-time on Zwift. Not having to look at my watch is super nice, especially being far-sighted.

Hopefully we'll agree that all of the metrics showing on Zwift should be coming from my Forerunner. My heartrate is dead on between the two. Power does not show on Zwift (but does show & record on teh Garmin). Cadence seems to be accurate, but honestly I haven’t shown cadence on my watch to verify what Zwift is showing is 100% on (like heartrate). Here’s the problem – speed/pace & distance are off between what’s shown on my watch (coming from the pod per Stryd’s Garmin setup here) and what’s showing (and ultimately records) on Zwift.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? Constructive comments (besides "take a few polar-plunges, toughen-up buttercup & run outdoors")? Is there a super-special hidden offset somewhere that only the MIB have access too?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd, Garmin, AppleTv & Zwift Combo Question [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:
Greetings Slowtwitch! I'm hoping you can help me with a head scratcher...

Zwift's update email moments ago reminded me to get this posted. It reminded me that I wanted to ask here because in my research I haven’t found anything on this… I’m soft when it comes to cold temps. Less than 40f and I’m indoors. Fortunately, I have a treadmill to run on or I would be hurting during the winter months (Washington State). I have a Stryd pod, an AppleTv & Zwift. I connect the pod to the ATv & Zwift via my Forerunner 745’s Virtual Run mode. This is the best way I’ve found to record my runs, with power to Training Peaks & view my metrics real-time on Zwift. Not having to look at my watch is super nice, especially being far-sighted.

Hopefully we'll agree that all of the metrics showing on Zwift should be coming from my Forerunner. My heartrate is dead on between the two. Power does not show on Zwift (but does show & record on teh Garmin). Cadence seems to be accurate, but honestly I haven’t shown cadence on my watch to verify what Zwift is showing is 100% on (like heartrate). Here’s the problem – speed/pace & distance are off between what’s shown on my watch (coming from the pod per Stryd’s Garmin setup here) and what’s showing (and ultimately records) on Zwift.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? Constructive comments (besides "take a few polar-plunges, toughen-up buttercup & run outdoors")? Is there a super-special hidden offset somewhere that only the MIB have access too?

I suspect you'd be better off taking the 745 out of the equation. Pair the Stryd pod to your phone, then use the Zwift companion app on your phone.

In your Zwift account, enable 3rd party integration with both Garmin and Training Peaks so your activity will sync to both.

Disclaimer: I don't do indoor running, so this is just mirroring what I do for my biking setup (trainer and HR strap -> Zwift Companion on phone -> Zwift on AppleTV). I don't use my Garmin 530 head unit at all for the indoor trainer.

In any case, it's pretty easy to try it out and see if it works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was o a treadmill recently for the first time with my Garmin Epix Gen 2 and after the run, it asked me about the readout from the treadmill itself. It went through its own calibration process. Have you done that yet? I doesn’t answer all of the questions but it may be connected to some of the problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd, Garmin, AppleTv & Zwift Combo Question [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

I suspect you'd be better off taking the 745 out of the equation. Pair the Stryd pod to your phone, then use the Zwift companion app on your phone.

In your Zwift account, enable 3rd party integration with both Garmin and Training Peaks so your activity will sync to both.

Disclaimer: I don't do indoor running, so this is just mirroring what I do for my biking setup (trainer and HR strap -> Zwift Companion on phone -> Zwift on AppleTV). I don't use my Garmin 530 head unit at all for the indoor trainer.

In any case, it's pretty easy to try it out and see if it works for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven’t attempted to connect via the Companion App. Prior to the 745 setup I laid out earlier, I had the pod connected to Zwift directly. I’ll try your idea and see how it works.
Last edited by: mdana87: Jan 25, 23 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd, Garmin, AppleTv & Zwift Combo Question [thin_concrete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thin_concrete wrote:
I was o a treadmill recently for the first time with my Garmin Epix Gen 2 and after the run, it asked me about the readout from the treadmill itself. It went through its own calibration process. Have you done that yet? I doesn’t answer all of the questions but it may be connected to some of the problems.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went through the cal process prior to my initial run with this setup. I, like you, would’ve thought that would take care of it, but no luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As noted in the Stryd setup for Garmin, within the process there’s a “Cal Factor” that Stryd says to ensure is set to 100.0. I don’t think this would work, but has anyone played with this adjustment? If so, what did you find this affects?

I don’t think it would work because, again, the data shown on my 745 is from the pod. Since that Cal Factor is under the settings in the 745 from the pod, my assumption is that the data passes across that factor before being recorded/shown on the watch. Currently, it seems like the issue is in Garmin’s signal to Zwift.
Quote Reply