Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stretching while riding
Quote | Reply
I've heard that stretching on the latter part of your bike leg will improve the way your legs feel during the run off of T2. I am trying to learn some techniques for stretching legs while on the bike. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Stretching while riding [jelder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was always told to stand up on the bike as you come to T2. You can stretch your calves this way with practice. Also when riding turn your head from side to side occasionally to help your neck.
Quote Reply
Re: Stretching while riding [jelder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During triathlons I climb most hills standing up. I know I lose some aerodynamic efficiency but riding standing up is a great way to stretch your legs, hips, and lower back, and I get more benefit from standing up here and there throughout the race than by doing it for a long stretch at the end. Stretching your calf by pressing one heel down towards the ground while your shoes are connected to the cleats is a good stretch as well, but make sure your butt is over the saddle when you do this, because every now and then this stretch will cause your cleat to disengage. You can also to a derivative of the "cat" stretch by arching your back deeply and pressing your arms/shoulders forward. You can of course also stretch your hamstrings by holding your cranks parallel to the ground and bending forward and stretch your quads by unhooking one cleat and pulling your foot up towards your glutes, just as you would do if you were standing on solid ground. Unhooking your cleat and just shaking your leg around is a nice way to get rid of cramps.

I'd practice all of these stretches during training and also make sure that I was clear of other riders when I did them in race situations. (If you are in a group of riders move to the back.) Finally, if you are thinking about doing these stretches and a big guy on a grey Cervelo is near you, make sure to give him a ton of space and consider offering him a powerbar.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Stretching while riding [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanx cerv
Quote Reply