Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool?
Quote | Reply
IĀ“m renting a house with a tiny pool (for the kids) this summer. Anyone tried swim training with a stretch cord around your ankles tied to the pool ladder or something like that?
Experiences?

:D

/Johan
Last edited by: jkLundin: Mar 22, 18 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [jkLundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You get an ok work out in but does interfere with stroke a little
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works surprisingly fine. I had no problems with it with messing up my stroke, and could swim pretty hard with it.

The killer downside - it's so freaking boring that you will not be able to do more than 2 'real' swim sessions with it. Trust me on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I tried it and had to get out after 15 minutes. Bored out of my skull.

A better use would be to simply use the stretch cords as dryland. hook them around something and do a couple hundred reps.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [Coachderekyorku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does it interfere with your stroke?
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine itĀ“s boring :) But thatĀ“s fine though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkLundin wrote:

Believe me, I can handle boring. I'm plenty of fun all by myself. But that was awful. It becomes sensory deprivation tank-like, since the water isn't moving over you, there's nothing in the way of conventional feedback

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkLundin wrote:

Oh trust me - it is a MAJOR issue. I'm as diehard as the best in terms of boredom resistance, and if you're talking 'real' workouts (like 30mins+ at real effort), you'll on manage 2 per week, max, and unlikely for a 2nd week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would suck up being board for an hour, but than rejoice at the fact that i saved 1.5 hours of driving to and from my "local" pool.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, ok I trust you both! IĀ“ll come back when I tried it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
I think I would suck up being board for an hour, but than rejoice at the fact that i saved 1.5 hours of driving to and from my "local" pool.

It's literally so bad, that after 2 sessions in a single week, you will WANT to drive the 45 mins each way to swim in the pool!

I was pretty diehard in that I did 5 sessions of 45-60 mins over a 2 week span when I was vacationing with the family at a lake house in upstate NY. I attached the system to the deck ladder, and did my swimming there - I couldn't swim out into the water due to boat traffic and couldn't go sideways near the shoreline due to adjacent private properties.

That was literally all I could take, and the main reason I lasted so long was because it was gorgeous outdoor summertime weather, and I was in a lake, so there were plants, fish, etc. Still sucked big time.

I've brought that pool stretch cord/belt with me on several hotels where I figured I'd do a 20 min stationary swim session, and I've never used it, not once. I stopped bringing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest beef is that it interferes with breathing so I'd consider investing in a snorkel as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider buying a static swim kit in place of the stretch cord tied around your ankles
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My biggest beef is that it interferes with breathing so I'd consider investing in a snorkel as well.

I def had zero problems with breathing with the swim tether, but I suspect it does have to do with how high/low you place your tether anchor point. I put mine above water, so it wasn't like I was getting pulled downwards as I stretched the cord. Might be tougher if you are anchoring underwater.
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have something similar to this, but a much less expensive version. I do my swim training in my backyard pool and can't convince my wife we need an endless pool. I would much rather be swimming laps, but based on my schedule and family needs, using this in the backyard is the way to go. I even have a dedicated wetsuit for the pool so that I can the pool open and get started training by late April. I do have access to some okay open water that I try to do on weekends to mix it up.

I am also considering trying to use a snorkel for the tethered pool training, might be worth the experiment this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Stretch cord = poor mans endless pool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jkLundin wrote:

Believe me, I can handle boring. I'm plenty of fun all by myself. But that was awful. It becomes sensory deprivation tank-like, since the water isn't moving over you, there's nothing in the way of conventional feedback

I have done this in the backyard pool and my gripe was the dizzyness I would experience 10-15 min after getting out
of the water. No issues right away after swimming but after those minutes-WOW could hardly stand up. Thought it was just a one time thing but everytime I have tried-same thing. Good luck with it.

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this and thought it was less awful than I expected.

My business travels can take me to hotels that often have a pool, but not one that is good for laps. I'll sometimes take a cord setup and mill away in the small hotel pools. I like it better than skipping a workout and as far as just getting some 'distance' in, I thought it was fine. My strategy was simply to do time-based 'intervals' but I wasn't really going at full pace. I would do 5-10 minutes at a time and total up 30-40 minutes.

I never tried to replicate a full on workout with drills, kick sets, etc... I suppose it's possible if you were really committed.

For your summer rental, I think it could make for some good SBR workouts... do 20-30 minutes on the cord and head out for a ride or run, or come back from a long run and jump in the pool for some kicking or pulls.

My other strategy in small hotel pools (and in my backyard pool) is laps without a push off from the wall. I come to the wall ( or just short of it) and reverse course without touching the wall. ( depending on my mood and I may slap the wall to help rotate, but even that gives some momentum and you're too close tot he wall to NOT kick it) Starting each lap from a dead start means I get 8-10 strokes in and have to accelerate from zero vs. a flip turn and 2-3 strokes. Again I don't really count distance and just go by time. It's not an ideal substitute for a 3-4K masters workout, but its an honest effort.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply