Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strength training pros and cons [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Come on that sleds gotta be worth a few pounds!

I had assumed that you had accounted for the weight of the sled; that makes more sense now.

Quote:
Having said that because of your post I am now quitting triathlon and my sole purpose in life is to beat you in a leg press dual. As you live in NS and I am in BC maybe we could meet in Winnipeg in January, heard its awesome that time of year, if you win I'll pay for a Jets game ;)

First, I don't think anyone is going to be watching any Jets games this year and second, I'm pretty sure that pretty much anyone who has even walked by a weight room in the past five years can push more weight than I can :)

Quote:
Regarding the skate skiing, I am a huge fan. I did IM Aus (early april) in 01,02, and 04 each time most of my work was done on the skis with only about 300-400km of cycling under my legs, never seamed to be an issue.

Catherine Pendral (world champ MTB) lives here and she spends a lot of time on the trails, as does Olav Stana- a pretty good Ager (World AG champ on skis and bike)

I just ski because I prefer to be outside, not because I think its better or worse than cycling, although as a cross over sport to cycling it's pretty damn close. Like you say because its weight bearing and involves similar muscle groups perhaps there is an additional strength component over cycling.

In terms of intensity most of it was not at but below IM HR (160 or so)

I think that your ability on the bike after little bike training is likely more the result of the skate skiing as opposed to anything you did in the weight room. You've seen success with it before and it appears that you have again; I would be very hesitant to attribute any of your bike fitness to your leg press routine.

Shane
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training pros and cons [gsmacleod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found for me that I need to do about 1-1.5 hrs a week of strength training (all body weight). I do this at night in my apt or at the gym when I can get there. It doesn't take any time away from normal training. I think a lot of people don't do enough core work. I need to keep my core strong to keep good form (s, b, r). I know I have some imbalances as well so the strength training minimizes these imbalances.

I agree that weight training shouldn't take the place of s, b, r. The s, b, r workouts are planned first, then the strength training is planned around those workouts. I typically do strength training on my easy days or when I don't have a pm workout (I would swim in the am).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training pros and cons [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yours was the first thread I clicked on from a google of the endless slowtwitch strength training threads. But here's a current review, "Optimizing strength training for cycling and running performance. A review": http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...1/sms.12104/abstract
Epub ahead of print and I can't see the full article yet, but abstract takeaways reinforce what has been covered in the past: benefit to running performance from combining endurance training with heavy strength or explosive strength training. Benefit to cycling performance from heavy strength training. Some theorizing about why.
No comment on whether big gear work, sprints, hills, etc count as strength. Plyometrics known to be beneficial for running performance, strength training with low reps, high weight, sounds like high-risk for AGrs.

mauricemaher wrote:
I found an old thread on strength training from 2008, and was wondering if we could start up the debate again, perhaps with opinions on new research etc.

I am hoping to hear form athletes, coaches and some of those folks out there with a few letters in front of their names

The old thread kind of turned into a "good vs bad" argument with no real conclusion either way. Lots of one liners, you're wrong-I'm right etc.

So, I was hoping that when people voice their opinion on strength training they could describe, in more detail what they are "fore or against" and perhaps back it up with studies, personal experience and what has worked for coaches out there.

For example, I consider physio (strengthens inured joint structure), big gear on the bike (could help with power on the flats) and hilly trail runs (helps with stabilizers, and running strength) to be a form of "strength" training.

Thoughts?
Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next