Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength Training Program for Runners?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a good strength routine they can share that has helped them? I need to decrease number of injuries I subject myself to and strength training seem like a good option. Latest injury was strained lateral muscle group and runners kneed, down 3 weeks.

I've looked at all of the top Google hits for this and they are all over the place as far as recommended exercises. Some are mostly upper body, some are mostly plyo, some are just too silly to try in a gym, etc.

Could also do running drills I suppose, not sure if that would be as effective.

So, what works for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [Fat Pelican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat Pelican wrote:
Anyone have a good strength routine they can share that has helped them? I need to decrease number of injuries I subject myself to and strength training seem like a good option. Latest injury was strained lateral muscle group and runners kneed, down 3 weeks.

I've looked at all of the top Google hits for this and they are all over the place as far as recommended exercises. Some are mostly upper body, some are mostly plyo, some are just too silly to try in a gym, etc.

So, what works for you?

I'm primarily a runner who dips into the other tri sports during the offseason or when injured, and have been a coach for over a decade. This is just to lay out that I at least have a little knowledge. Here's my 2 cents.

Ignore most of what is out there, it's ineffective except for people who have very particular imbalances that need to be worked out.

A very simple, yet very effective, routine to ensure you're strong and balanced for running is to follow a slightly altered version of Rippetoe's starting strength novice program. Here's how I would lay it out, and please note that I am very conservative in how I'd approach this for almost all runners.

1) His program is three times a week, this one is 2
2) Start this when you're only doing general training, not during a build for a specific race. Your running will suffer for the first 4-6 weeks or more due to adding some serious stress. Don't worry, after about a month your hips and legs will feel STRONG.
3) The only exercises you need are deep squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press and rows. You can look up good for on google.
4) One day 1 each week you squat, deadlift and shoulder press. On Day 2 you squat, row and bench press. For everything you do 3 sets of 5 and heavy as you can to do all 3 sets. Deadlift is only 1 set of 5.
5) Add 5 pounds to each during each session until you can't add it anymore, then add in either smaller increments if possible or only add when you feel strong enough to.
6) The first day you go, be conservative, start with just the bar and then work up. I like to think of it as I'd do maybe 75% of what I think I can do on all of them. You'll quickly increase each week.
7) This is with barbells, no machines.

I do this and have prescribed it to others. The goal is not to squat 500. Most marathoners top out around body weight. But doing it will barbells will require you to recruit all the muscles in your hips and core and you will just get stronger generally. As you do more, you'll notice that you'll get less niggles like runners knee (which is often caused by the knee being pulled by imbalanced muscles) and hills will be easier. This will likely have a beneficial effect on you cycling too.

Give it a try, it's not easy, but it will make you a better and more healthy runner, and it's way simpler than all the other stuff you see out there. And you can rest assured that "lifting heavy" won't make you a worse runner, Alberto has his athletes doing it. It's awesome seeing video of little Jordan Hasay throwing weight around.
5)
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is a lot simpler than what I'd been looking at. I guess all the squats replaces general core work like planks, which I hate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting Strength is great.

The problem with a lot of programs advertised as lifting for runners is that 1) they assume you are a pure, elite, competitive runner who wants an emaciated torso and as such they are 2)freaking easy (not progressive in resistance, not primarily concerned with compound movements).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to do my strength training at home. Since i live in fairly small apartment, i bought few kettlebells. Great thing about kettlebells is that you can do whole body workout with one single kettlebell. No need for whole room full of equipment. I do have few other things, like resistance bands etc. But kettlebells are my main equipment.

I'm using Extreme Kettlebell Cardio workout (1 and 3) by Keith Weber.

And here is the thing. You can use fairly light kettlebells and if you do whole workout you will be surprised how hard it can get.

And if you want to make it progressive, do it by time or get bigger kettlebel. Is simple, but not easy.

One of the reasons why i decided to buy kettlebells is also, because i wanted to do full body workout. Not focusing only on specific part of my body. You should always do full body strength training to keep things in balance. Especially if you're thinking about future (getting old/older).

Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done.

- D. Goggins

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look on youtube with the search "jay johnson sam" there are hard and easy workouts and they go from level 1 to 5 of something. The idea is you do the easy workout after your easy runs and the hard after your interval day and long run. See how they grab you, I have been integrating the exercises into a running circuit day 2x a week and really like it, maybe 4-5 mi of running and 4 stops do do 4 exercises x 12 reps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Fat Pelican wrote:

So, what works for you?

I'm primarily a runner who dips into the other tri sports during the offseason or when injured, and have been a coach for over a decade. This is just to lay out that I at least have a little knowledge. Here's my 2 cents.

Ignore most of what is out there, it's ineffective except for people who have very particular imbalances that need to be worked out.

A very simple, yet very effective, routine to ensure you're strong and balanced for running is to follow a slightly altered version of Rippetoe's starting strength novice program. Here's how I would lay it out, and please note that I am very conservative in how I'd approach this for almost all runners.

2) Start this when you're only doing general training, not during a build for a specific race. Your running will suffer for the first 4-6 weeks or more due to adding some serious stress. Don't worry, after about a month your hips and legs will feel STRONG.
3) The only exercises you need are deep squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press and rows. You can look up good for on google.
4) One day 1 each week you squat, deadlift and shoulder press. On Day 2 you squat, row and bench press. For everything you do 3 sets of 5 and heavy as you can to do all 3 sets. Deadlift is only 1 set of 5.
5) Add 5 pounds to each during each session until you can't add it anymore, then add in either smaller increments if possible or only add when you feel strong enough to.
6) The first day you go, be conservative, start with just the bar and then work up. I like to think of it as I'd do maybe 75% of what I think I can do on all of them. You'll quickly increase each week.

I do this and have prescribed it to others. The goal is not to squat 500. Most marathoners top out around body weight. But doing it will barbells will require you to recruit all the muscles in your hips and core and you will just get stronger generally. As you do more, you'll notice that you'll get less niggles like runners knee (which is often caused by the knee being pulled by imbalanced muscles) and hills will be easier. This will likely have a beneficial effect on you cycling too.

Give it a try, it's not easy, but it will make you a better and more healthy runner, and it's way simpler than all the other stuff you see out there. And you can rest assured that "lifting heavy" won't make you a worse runner, Alberto has his athletes doing it. It's awesome seeing video of little Jordan Hasay throwing weight around.
5)

AKA Stronglift 5x5
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark57 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Fat Pelican wrote:

So, what works for you?

5)

AKA Stronglift 5x5

Huh, I'd never seen that until I just googled it. It's close for sure, though I was saying 3x5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat Pelican wrote:
Anyone have a good strength routine they can share that has helped them?

Highly recommend Quick Strength for Runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was thinking. Still a good program nonetheless.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I read responses to these kinds of questions I always wonder about generalized training plans.

I would start with a simple mirror. Look in it and see what strengths you have or are are missing.
Are you knocked knee'd, bandy, do you run on your toes or on your heels, good or bad body posture, weight to height ratio, and many more I haven't thought of.
All of which someone on here will tell you they are an outlier from.

Then base your training around resolving those issues.

Some have a weakness when it comes to squats and lunges (back, knees, pelvis tilt etc etc).
I have a 30 year old daughter-in-law (with two kids) who weighs 120 lbs that can out lift me.
But she can't run for peanuts.

I am willing to bet more people injure themselves following some generic "can't fail" plan than ever get faster.
Reading through the responses up to now, no one asked that question before offering a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [PinaMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PinaMan wrote:
I prefer to do my strength training at home

I know that I've mentioned this before, but I have found that - in the weight room - a tech race shirt is a pretty effective Invisibility Cloak

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Every time I read responses to these kinds of questions I always wonder about generalized training plans.

I would start with a simple mirror. Look in it and see what strengths you have or are are missing.
Are you knocked knee'd, bandy, do you run on your toes or on your heels, good or bad body posture, weight to height ratio, and many more I haven't thought of.
All of which someone on here will tell you they are an outlier from.

Then base your training around resolving those issues.

Some have a weakness when it comes to squats and lunges (back, knees, pelvis tilt etc etc).
I have a 30 year old daughter-in-law (with two kids) who weighs 120 lbs that can out lift me.
But she can't run for peanuts.

I am willing to bet more people injure themselves following some generic "can't fail" plan than ever get faster.
Reading through the responses up to now, no one asked that question before offering a solution.

Good points. I'm an average long distance triathlete, just under 12hrs for a full and can hold 8min miles for training (I break stuff at 7min). At 5'7", 150lbs, and 17% BF I qualify as average build, not the skinny runner type. I'm mostly trying to prevent injuries here and gain a little speed. I don't have a specific strength weakness that I know of, but could use a bit more yoga/stretching. As for running, I'm a toe to mid foot lander and have descent form if you believe my physical therapist.

So, with all that said, I do believe the general/generic strength routine would be best, so I used most of what marklemcd posted with some added tricep work for swimming.

You know, there are a ton of "check my bike fit" threads, but I never see any "how's my running form"....just sayin'

Thanks,
FP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 weeks. My runs are noticeably faster and that was not the reason I was doing this program. I wanted strength and injury prevention. But now my easy pace is about 30 seconds faster than what it used to be. I believe it has to do with all the squats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if its mid season and you are nursing pre-injury?
......asking for a friend

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reply is just a general attitude, after lifting for the last 40 years, as part of marathon and triathlon training. Don't overthink it, and just do stuff. Really. Just go to the gym and do stuff. Exactly what you do, is not nearly as important, as that you DO SOMETHING. And even more important, is that you do something you will keep doing. The best program in the world wont work, if you don't keep doing it. An average routine will work great, if you keep it up for the rest of your life. I've done free weights, machines, high rep, low rep, heavy, light, supersets, low rep max, body weight, and everything in between, etc. I don't think there is a best. But I can also add that the more and heavier I lift, the less I'm injured, but the slower I race. The less I lift, the faster I race, but the more I'm injured. All my PR's have been set during periods I lifted the lightest, and the least... usually followed by my most serious injuries. It's all about balance and priorities.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Ive been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 weeks. My runs are noticeably faster and that was not the reason I was doing this program. I wanted strength and injury prevention. But now my easy pace is about 30 seconds faster than what it used to be. I believe it has to do with all the squats.

I can't say enough about this. Trying to get back on this wagon now that I have the full weight set in the house, you just feel all around stronger, moving in general just feels easier and the runs don't hurt nearly as bad.

I'm starting to believe that a properly executed squat is the best full body exercise (well, everything except the arms). You are recruiting almost every muscle in your core and legs to execute it.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

I can't say enough about this. Trying to get back on this wagon now that I have the full weight set in the house, you just feel all around stronger, moving in general just feels easier and the runs don't hurt nearly as bad.

I'm starting to believe that a properly executed squat is the best full body exercise (well, everything except the arms). You are recruiting almost every muscle in your core and legs to execute it.

That is literally, yes literally, a fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the "Running Rewired" program by Jay Dicharry.

I was plagued by recurring running-related injuries in my mid-late 20s and quit running (which was my passion since running my first marathon in 7th grade). Got the urge to start running again a couple years ago and unsurprisingly injuries started flaring up. Worked my ass off at this, sort of like PT but much more intense, and have been running injury free lasts 2 years and am starting to get fast again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training Program for Runners? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Check out the "Running Rewired" program by Jay Dicharry.

I was plagued by recurring running-related injuries in my mid-late 20s and quit running (which was my passion since running my first marathon in 7th grade). Got the urge to start running again a couple years ago and unsurprisingly injuries started flaring up. Worked my ass off at this, sort of like PT but much more intense, and have been running injury free lasts 2 years and am starting to get fast again.

This.. Best book by far on running mechanics and run injury prevention.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running frequently and doing no weights, less focus on a long run and not too much intenisty
Quote Reply