Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength: Go to plan
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Been strength training for a while now and am looking for a simple go to plan that covers most muscle groups that I can use twice a week up to 45 mins.
I’ve got the progression and core sorted but just wondering what exercises people are doing.
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Re: Strength: Go to plan [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paddles and band in the pool and hill repeats on the bike and run...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For weights, google Stronglifts 5x5. About as basic and easy to follow as it comes. They state do it 3 times a week, but if you do it two, you just won't see the same progression (but still be stronger).
Quote Reply
Re: Strength: Go to plan [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighten up the weights and reps on the "300 movie set" workout.

Use bands or the foot assist for the pullups, maybe cut the pushups in half. Do not jump off the block for the box jumps, just carefully step off. Instead of 35 lbs for the dumbbell push presses per hand, do something a bit smaller.

Do the circuit quick as you can.

You didn't say for endurance athletes, just for all around muscle workout. So there you go.

• Pullups - 25 reps.
  • Barbell Deadlift - 50 reps.
  • Pushups - 50 reps.
  • Bodyweight Squat Jumps - 50 reps.
  • V-Ups - 50 reps. (or use a barbell in a bench press config with back on the floor and do 50 floor wipers)
  • Dumbbell lift/clean, - 50 reps, 25 per arm or side (left/right)
  • Pullups - 25 reps.

That adds up to 300.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength: Go to plan [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends. Do you want to be strong or fast? or sort of strong and sort of fast? My point is that people shaped like Patrick Lange may be super fast but they are not the neighbor you think of when you need help moving some furniture.

I'm a proponent of Starting Strength. It focuses on big compound movements. 3x5. Real squats, conventional deadlifts, overhead press, bench. Eventually pull ups and dips. Unless you are body building there is rarely a reason to do a single joint lift.

(there is sometimes a little Stronglifts 5x5 vs. Starting Strength animosity. The people behind these programs are both big, opinionated, polarizing personalities but unless you are dedicated to moving some serious weight the programs are similar enough.
Last edited by: Justicebeaver: Jul 25, 19 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of 5/3/1. But really I'd just squat one day, deadlift the other. Do some kind of press both days. Pullups both sessions, some kind of row both sessions.

So:
1: Squat
Landmine press
Pullups
DB row

2: Deadlift
DB bench press
Chinups
BB row
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone above mentioned 5/3/1 - this is a good one. There are variants of this program that are designed to be quite quick in the gym. Similarly - Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is very compound-focused and designed to get you specifically stronger. He (Rippetoe) had a great quote on a podcast he was on about cyclists. Roughly summarized; remember that a pedal stroke is an example of a sub-maximal muscular contraction. So, if you're maximal contractile capability goes up, the amount of effort/energy required to repeat submaximal contractions goes down. Translation; getting stronger legs means you can pedal easier. Sure, there are aerobic tie-ins and considerations - like weight gain, but the logic works.

Good luck.
Quote Reply