Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strava Etiquette
Quote | Reply
Is there supposed to be any type of etiquette in Strava?
Basically, if someone takes down one of my KOMS, and on my next run I go right back and take it back...is that frowned upon?

I get the vibe it is....I also see people taking Strava way too seriously(to each their own), but my take is GAME ON!

Isn't that essentially the point of KOMs?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:
Basically, if someone takes down one of my KOMS, and on my next run I go right back and take it back...is that frowned upon?

No, that's encouraged.

My current plan is I know someone who's been planning for weeks to after a KOM. My plan is to get beat it before he does, hopefully getting a faster time his will be. But I'm not going to immediately upload.

I'll wait until he gets the KOM, and if mine is faster, then I'll immediately up-load it. Uh-oh!

There should be no butt-hurt in Strava or Zwift. Even over blatant cheating.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 11, 20 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Retake KOMs as quickly as possible. If possible, take a couple extra ones of whoever decided to go after one of yours in the first place.

Send a message that you won't be trifled with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."-Thomas A. Edison
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

Retake KOMs as quickly as possible. If possible, take a couple extra ones of whoever decided to go after one of yours in the first place.

Send a message that you won't be trifled with.

And if you really want to ice the cake, take 3 KOMs from them but take one of them without power, cadence or heart rate metrics, just to make them question everything. Maybe they'll spend 5 hours trying to disprove your ability only to come up empty!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
But I'm not going to immediately upload.

I'll wait until he gets the KOM, and if mine is faster, then I'll immediately up-load it. Uh-oh!

Not sure if you're serious, but if this happens as you've paid out, please follow up with the guys reaction. This definitely made me laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a related question:

Under my list of KOMs, if someone takes one of them, does it still show that I had that KOM at one point, or does it vanish entirely?

I don't really care about re-taking it, I just like knowing that at one point I held it.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit true story... I just came to Slow Twitch to make a Post called 'Stava Etiquette' with a question... then I see this thread at top the list. #slowtwitchhivemind

Anyway my question: If there are 3 consecutive KOM segments climbing along a stretch of road and the current winner has all three of them, obviously obtained in ONE ride, am I a dick if I go and take out each one individually on different days? ie having more rest.

Id like to get them all in a row and it might be within my capability, but in the end does it matter and why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Rarely a concern for me - lucky to slip into the top-10 locally.

But there was one that I had a go at that, I was in the top-10 and it seemed a little soft - so out on a ride recently, I did have an all-out go at it and got it - but my wife beat me to the top. So I was a King, but was beat out by a Queen! That's what happens when you are married to one of the best Master's Women's Road Cyclists in Canada! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 11, 20 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no etiquette except for the decency of individual users. And there are definitely people who cheat when getting segments, either driving them, riding them (for runs), or even using ebikes and editing GPX files before uploading.

Strava will also send you email notifications (if you have them selected) that read "Uh oh! So-and-so just STOLE your KOM!" I mean, if that's not asking you to go remedy the situation... The only reason to not go out right away is if you need to taper for a few days in order to ensure maximum speed. (This is all semi-tongue-in-cheek...)

It's still sort of a "wild-west", though the proliferation of power meters helps things a bit, and if not wild west, it's perhaps a bit like the board game "Risk". Anyway, I have had streaks when I've taken it too seriously – and during the pandemic, it has, at times, satisfied my competitive side amid the lack of racing. I've also had times when I've just needed a Stra-Vacation from it all, due to fatigue, life stress, etc.

So, definitely go take whatever KOM was "stolen" and have fun, and if you need three different days for each semi-segment, then definitely do that (I know I would!). We all need goals, especially right now, and ones that also keep us healthy and having fun are the some of the best kind of goals – even if they are also totally ridiculous in the grand scheme of the gently indifferent universe.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do whatever you want. Personally, I don't understand folks that break up climbs into pieces. I recently went back to my favorite mountain, Parowan Canyon past Brianhead in Southern Utah and there are like 12 segments up and down the mountain.
They also race the Tour of Utah there, so pros have some ridiculous fast KOMs.
I say, if someone is going to break up the climb in segments, you can take them out however you like. I'm sure the guy who has them will have a laugh but likely won't care that much if he got them all in one ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Revenge should be swift and severe

JYoung wrote:
Holy shit true story... I just came to Slow Twitch to make a Post called 'Stava Etiquette' with a question... then I see this thread at top the list. #slowtwitchhivemind

Anyway my question: If there are 3 consecutive KOM segments climbing along a stretch of road and the current winner has all three of them, obviously obtained in ONE ride, am I a dick if I go and take out each one individually on different days? ie having more rest.

Id like to get them all in a row and it might be within my capability, but in the end does it matter and why?

I recommend waiting until you have a 40mph tailwind and take them all the same ride like he did. Drive to start point, get setup, take a rest and a couple gels then hammer. Casually ride back to the beginning to finish your 15 mile ride. Drive home with your computer still on having one or three (KOM's) for the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an acquaintance that has a long steep driveway. He’s MOP so he made it a segment to have KOM. Late one night one of his fiends who is much faster rode over and savaged it. It’s a blood sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:

Under my list of KOMs, if someone takes one of them, does it still show that I had that KOM at one point, or does it vanish entirely?

No, it's like you never existed.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one nobody talks much about that I have I guess the wrong opinion on: girls on group rides with guys.

Never take a pull but bag every QOM in town while sitting in. I always hear “the other ladies could join that ride”. What? And be a leech and never pull also? I am 100% sure there are plenty that could steal my lunch money as a dude rider easy. So no machismo there. But to me that’s double shit etiquette, don’t pull and bag QOMs in the process. Or a guy skipping all the pulls and tying the KOMs.

I’m a dude even, so shouldn't care. But it is reason number 1 I wish they had group vs solo leaderboards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ironmuffin wrote:

No, that's encouraged.

My current plan is I know someone who's been planning for weeks to after a KOM. My plan is to get beat it before he does, hopefully getting a faster time his will be. But I'm not going to immediately upload.

There should be no butt-hurt in Strava or Zwift. Even over blatant cheating.

Oooh, you're vicious. I disagree about blatant cheating, but the waiting to upload is priceless.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely - the group thing is a totally different animal. I’m not a big Strava guy, but I turned myself inside-out for the few KOMs I’ve managed to get. Silly for some rotating pace line to take them.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
JYoung wrote:

I recommend waiting until you have a 40mph tailwind and take them all the same ride like he did. Drive to start point, get setup, take a rest and a couple gels then hammer. Casually ride back to the beginning to finish your 15 mile ride. Drive home with your computer still on having one or three (KOM's) for the road.

I’d love to do that but unfortunately it is on a tight gravel road in the forest and wind is not a factor and I am using mountain bike for this one. I have considered getting some gravel tires for my road bike though, just for this.

I love it, specific gear upgrades just for KOM glory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rosshm wrote:

No, it's like you never existed.

This is not true. It shows you got a KOM on the ride activity. But, vanishes from your KOM list.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a KOM? :)

I'm 60yo and only been riding about a year. I'm happy to just be on the list :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, as shady as a lot of the KOMs are, the QOMs are worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:

Strava will also send you email notifications (if you have them selected) that read "Uh oh! So-and-so just STOLE your KOM!" I mean, if that's not asking you to go remedy the situation... The only reason to not go out right away is if you need to taper for a few days in order to ensure maximum speed. (This is all semi-tongue-in-cheek...)

I got one of these in my old neighborhood. I had the KOM on a run up a long steep climb in the neighborhood. Didn't even know it was a segment and I had it. Then over the holiday break, I got the email.

Someone was in town visiting and took my KOM. I'm not fast, and only had the KOM because only a few people had attempted it, but I was permanently de throned, as I picked up the KOM doing hill repeats up it very well rested, and it was my best effort that was beat by almost a minute.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I had this 5k CR for a few months. It was slow with a time of 21:00 or so and I had snagged it in the middle of a 12 mile run. The course itself is very hilly with all up or down and about 400 feet of climbing.

The guy who took it was for out of town and I checked his Strava profile and he is fast. 5k PR in the 15's where my PR is low 17's on flat pavement. He took the time down to 18:36, in the middle of a 12 mile run, no less.

Here is my attempt to reclaim the title:

(I don't know how to embed video on this forum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfG28WiCTGA

Yes the race footage is very shaky but the audio is pretty funny as I pep talk myself and the dog to the finish line.

"Stay strong Bobo!"
Last edited by: JYoung: Aug 12, 20 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
The one nobody talks much about that I have I guess the wrong opinion on: girls on group rides with guys.

Never take a pull but bag every QOM in town while sitting in. I always hear “the other ladies could join that ride”. What? And be a leech and never pull also? I am 100% sure there are plenty that could steal my lunch money as a dude rider easy. So no machismo there. But to me that’s double shit etiquette, don’t pull and bag QOMs in the process. Or a guy skipping all the pulls and tying the KOMs.

I’m a dude even, so shouldn't care. But it is reason number 1 I wish they had group vs solo leaderboards.

QOM's are a crock. There's a local woman that goes out regularly with a stud rider and he pulls her the whole ride. She'll average 23mph for her ride at like 120 watts. I know she's lighter, but no way she's averaging 23mph and snagging 5 or 6 QOM's at 115 to 120 watts. It's so ridiculous. To add to it, there's a threesome that loves pace lining and taking efforts way down on rides except QOM's and KOM's then it's game on hammer time. These two groups have a major beef and are always at it over penny ante shit. I'm just like whatever...so silly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next