Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related)
Quote | Reply
Share some weird accomplishments that you’re proud of. Could get interesting?! One of the things I’m proud about is one of 2 times I’ve needed to use a porta potty during a 70.3 run because I thought I might shit my pants, and still doing a sub 7:30 mile split. Another thing I’m proud of was having a watch fail a few miles into an open half marathon and having to run with no data whatsoever and still finishing 8 sec off my goal time. I was running alone too, no one to pace off of. behind the leaders, but in front of slower runners. Hoping to break 1:15 and finished 1:15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [Swimsucks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Kona one year, I was having a bad race with digestive issues:
1) I am proud that I didn't sh#t myself for a bad performance.
2) I am embarrassed that I lost to Apolo Ono- I could have beaten him if I had sh#t myself. (I would still have been disappointed with my performance)
3) I am proud that I beat Marino Vanhoenacker- he was apparently having a much, much worse race than me.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
2) I am embarrassed that I lost to Apolo Ono- I could have beaten him if I had sh#t myself.
The trick is to wait until he falls over.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [Swimsucks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pee'd every aid station on the run. 1st IM, after having only done one Olympic. Was paranoid about dehydration etc.
Was still pissing clear at the end of the race ahah.

Calculated the time wasted. 15min easy saved next time.

I followed some bad advice, and swam with cycling bibs under wetsuit, not a tri suit. Chamois was a sponge. Salt and hectic chaffing (I was bleeding, and several Vaseline stops when possible on the bike). Put a hole in the bibs and ruined them. Kept on trucking. But about another 15min there.

Had never run more than 18km before doing the mara. Wasn't a problem.
Last edited by: Conza: Dec 2, 20 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned to pee while running...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am proud that I have not been gobbled by a shark or whale while on training swims.

I’m getting greedy in 2020 having confirmed that both a shark and a whale have been within 300 yards of me numerous times this year. The things I’ll do when the pool is closed...... I’d say “I’m still kicking” but I generally don’t kick when I swim.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my first 2 triathlons I did the run faster than the swim. Olympic swim in 48 mins, run in 41. Sprint swim in 20 and run in 17. Apparently swimming breaststroke with your head above the water the entire time is not the most efficient swim stroke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how weird this is but getting to the start line of Embrunman three years ago I am proud of that. It involved a bike that came two days too late. A maniac drive from Lyon to Embrun. Successfully convincing event staff (wonderful ladies) to let me pick up my package (je suis desolay) even though I was half an hour after cutoff. Double parking right in front of french police officer and running with a bike bag about 400 metres.

Boo Air Canada. . Yeah France

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surviving the swim and finishing IM St George 2012
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finishing IM Nice 2014 with the flat tire. It took me 12h45 but it was my first triathlon ever (race or training) at any distance. So first time I even saw T1 or T2 and tried to "change" the sport, was at Ironman race :) :)
And yes, it was my first marathon also :)
Last edited by: bojan: Dec 3, 20 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My ability to have to use the port-o-john 3 times before every race no matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did an IM and when I started the marathon it was 104 degrees heat index. Thought I was going to die! Worst run/walk ever but I finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I am proud that I have not been gobbled by a shark or whale while on training swims.

I’m getting greedy in 2020 having confirmed that both a shark and a whale have been within 300 yards of me numerous times this year. The things I’ll do when the pool is closed...... I’d say “I’m still kicking” but I generally don’t kick when I swim.

I don't know how you all do it. I seriously get anxiety just reading stuff like this....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished IM Louisville in 16:32:xx in 2012 (one of the "hot" years)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drove 12 hours Seattle to Calgary day before the race. Just barely made the check-in. Raced. Water was mid 50F (this was the old course at Ghost Lake) air in the morning was mid 50F, then 90F for the finish. Next morning drove the trans Canada hwy back home 14 hours. Punchline did it in an old Jeep CJ. I've raced a lot of halfs but this one stands out. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was naked in T1 in my first HIM. This is apparently against the rules, which I did not know. I didn't get caught.
The backstory is that I had planned to swim in a swimsuit, then put shorts on. I didn't think about the fact that this was going to involve needing a space to change somehow.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Louisville 2018 I peed for the first time ever on the bike. This was the year the swim was shortened and during the bike it was in the 50s with rain and cold wind. I had to pee so bad but didn't want to stop and risk getting hypothermia (plus I just wanted to hurry up and get done) so on a downhill i relaxed myself and peed! I was so excited that not only I was able to pee on the bike but I figured out the secret and proceeded to do it 4 more times (still can't figure out why I had to pee so much that day). I was so proud of myself that after the race one of the first things I said to my coach was that I peed on the bike so I didn't lose any time having to stop!! Now I can do it pretty easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Visible veins in upper legs and sometimes abs
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was emotionally and physically drained right before IMWI 2019 and didn't even realize that. It's very easy to be in denial of your physical status :)
It became clear when I tried to keep the target power and felt it's not happening on mile 1 (one) of the bike.

Still proud I finished this very long bike and run after on willpower alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2006, I finished the Las Vegas Triathlon sprint distance. 15 months earlier I had an accident that required surgery to rebuild my left leg, and I was still going to physical therapy 3x a week and using a cane to walk. The race was the same weekend that InterBike ended, so on a whim I decided to stay out in Vegas an extra day and do the race. I hadn't done any swimming or running at all in the previous 15 months, and only easy 30-40 minute spins on my trainer. Despite the course being billed as "the flattest course in the Las Vegas area", there was a good bit of climbing, which I wasn't prepared for, and the run was almost entirely off-road. On one hill I had to get off my bike and walk, and I walked the entire run, but I finished (and not quite dead last, either)...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so proud of the toenails I've lost that I have kept each of them*

*but my wife won't let me mount and display them
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, 3 is my magic number two!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona validation race Ironman Wales last year. Bolts holding the Speed Concept base bar started working free; it started getting wobbly. By 65 miles I knew my race was done, 1 bolt had fallen completely out, the other 2 well on their way and complete failure was imminent.

I got off at an aid station to DNF. As I wheeled my bike towards a Marshall I noticed the 3 mini bungee cords I use to secure bottles in their cages. Had the crazy idea of lashing them round the base bar and mount, maybe just maybe it would be rideable.

16 minutes later I was on my way, the set up was a bit wobbly (but more stable than what I had ridden for the previous 20 miles), with care and putting no force through the bars I reckoned I could ride it.

Reaching T2, after having climbed off my bike to DNF a Kona validation was emotional with a huge dash of pride at the ingenuity that made it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

This. I did this at Gulf Coast 70.3 one year. I had absolutely zero shame.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Strange things you’re proud of (triathlon related) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

This. I did this at Gulf Coast 70.3 one year. I had absolutely zero shame.

Tell me more. How is this possible. I started peeing on the bike last year and was so proud.

Another story. IMFRA 2016 in Nice. The morning of the race I checked my tires in transition and realized that my skewer on the rear wheel was completely broken (I didnt think of changing it and in those days I used to train exclusively on computrainer). Like the wheel was actually coming off. I ran back to my hotel faster than Usain Bolt because god knows why I had a spare skewer and managed to replace it in time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next