Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the laugh...another addition, Aquaman. This guy does laps underwater for about 45 minutes. Skims along the pool bottom with a slow breaststroke kick, or uses a huge mono-fin, that's two feet in a single mega-fin, and swims using a dolphin kick. Pretty impressive really, I've seen him do regular 50m underwater in LCM pool using the mono-fin. Two lanes over is overweight japanese jumping man, in his 60's, jumps/hops along the lane and turns around where the water gets deep, and returns the same way he came. He's there eveyday and never seen him swim a stroke - does extensive arm swinging deck warmup though.

Also, in answer to an earlier post, no knitted bikini's, but we do have 50's something hot grandma, she swims in a different bikini everyday, no joke! She must have at least 10 at home. She looks ~35 until you get real close. Probably puts in ~1600m at a pretty good clip.

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You left out "Inappropriate / Unfortunately Colored Suit Guy"; the one whose swimsuit most closely resembles his skin tone, making him appear to be swimming naked.
[/reply]

LOL, a year or so ago I had a training suit that had faded to the point that it was skin tone. One day my training buddy referred to me as "naked boy". I knew then that it was time to buy a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL... yes! I love the people (triathletes usually) who have not 1 but 2 sets of fins, a kickboard, a pull buoy, several types of paddles in an assortment of colors, and a couple other toys cluttering up their end of the lane. usually they just drop the whole mesh bag on the deck and let everything spill out. Then they get in, swim with fins on the whole time (15 min), and get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At open swim the other day in the university pool:

Pregnant woman and husband - BOTH COLLEGE STUDENTS - pregnant woman in a STRING BIKINI. First of all, I'm not going to ever ever ever get pregnant, and secondly, if I ever were to (which will not happen), I certainly won't wear a string bikini. This woman has got to be at least eight months along... anyway, Pregnant Woman And Husband usually walk back and forth together in a shallow lane. I was in the middle of a set the other day, did a flip turn, and when I pushed off and looked to the side, they were cuddling underwater... it's not a hot tub, it's a LAP POOL...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funniest post of the day.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget: "ready to swim from the lockers room" guy. He walks from the lockers all the way to the pool with his cap, goggles, and fins on.
Last edited by: Wiso: Oct 24, 06 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seal guy swims at our pool. He even enters the water in the deep end like a seal and stays there underwater most of the session.

All of our walker ladies are large and look like dancing hippos of the old cartoons from underwater.

Addition to the list: Water slapping guy. He's smooth on one side but on the other side his recovery arm windmills over and WHAMS the surface sounding like an M80 went off. I can tell when he's swimming from the other side of the facility. And in his mind he probably thinks he swims smooth like Popov (we all probably think that way)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had the guy who slapped the water- but only with his right arm. His left arm had a nice graceful enrty, but his right hand made a loud slap everytime it hit the water. No, he had not had a stroke. He usd to swim for long periods of time. It was like chinese water torture.

We had abacus lady. She used to put an abacus on the end of her lane, and for every lap she would pop up and slide one bead over. Yes, I always wanted to go mess up her beads.

We also had a guy who was an underwater photographer. When he was in town, he would show up with 3 foot fins, scuba mask and a snorkle. He would swim long periods of time underwater, surfacing to breathe through his snorkle and then he would submerge. He had just starting to shoot for Geo then, and is probably shooting for National Geographic now. He was a nice guy.

There was always the water aerobics instructor who would always want to run a long extension cord to the edge of the pool, through puddles of water, to her boom box.

There was frequently an 11 year-old girl who does sets of 400 Fly, passing all the adults doing free.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Rob99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] about 45 thundering legs in skirt-type swimsuits, strapped around wacky pool noodles in the next lane can be a scary sight.[/reply]

45 legs? There's an amputee in the group??

(seriously... there is - was - one in the group where I swim... she did better than most...)

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Water slapping guy. He's smooth on one side but on the other side his recovery arm windmills over and WHAMS the surface sounding like an M80 went off."

We used to call that guy The Claw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the public pool in Kona you get some interesting types in the shower room. Like Miss 1 Woman Party who spends a lot of time "enjoying" her shower (no curtains BTW).

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have 50 yard guy too. He sometimes does 25 as well. He *occasionally* swims 100 pretty slow. But he always times it to leave about 2 seconds after I turn around. Sometimes I mess with him on my long swims and put an occasional 50yd interval in just to beat him. 35-38secs without flip turns is usually good enough, then I go back to swimming 50-55secs for the next mile or so. Hey, anything to amuse myself and break up the boredom!

I also had a variant on the foreign 25 yard guy at the Y. Except he didn't know about the rule of lane side. He'd randomly pick a side to swim on and then run into me. And then he'd sit at one end on a random side of the lane and wait for me to run into him. I tried to explain the whole circle swim and split lane strategy, but I think that just confused him more.

I haven't seen Deep End Guy. But my local pool is 95% grade school and middle school swim team kids. They'd probably boot him, thinking (maybe correctly) that he's a pedophile.

My father is M80 guy. Reasonably quick but in an indoor pool it's deafening. I tried to teach him the concept of angling the hand on entry....didn't work.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like another fear/aversion for you. You just never know when one of those darn babies will show up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! How about 'I Want to Race You Guy?' You know, the guy who waits til you are 500yds into an 800 and decides to push off the wall with you, swim well-above his normal pace for 35 yards, and then can't hang? This guy also sometimes shows up mid-lap when you are about to pass him (for the 100th time) and decides that he doesn't want you to pass this time. And even though you've clearly caught up to him, he still thinks he's faster...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You left out "Inappropriate / Unfortunately Colored Suit Guy"; the one whose swimsuit most closely resembles his skin tone, making him appear to be swimming naked.

There are also the "Tadpoles"; swimmers in black caps, goggles and suits who can only swim breaststroke, looking like giant frogs.
The word "sperm" popped into my head....
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Smokes! No charge for that action??!?

This thread is busting me up, and that's a good thing.

Here's a couple more.

1) "If You Got It, Flaunt It Guy" -tall, tan, ripped, waxed and lasered, comes out of the lockers well after lap swim has started only to spend a full ten minutes STRETCHING AND SENSUOUSLY RUBBING SUN SCREEN OVER EVERY INCH OF HIS EXPOSED BODY RIGHT ON THE EDGE OF THE POOL DECK! OK, he's hella fast too but what a freakin' gigolo!

2) "Freaky Flip Turn Guy/Gal"-think of an open turn but keep your face in the water the whole time. Hmmm...I don't get it.

3) "Saggy Swim Suit Guy/Gal"-chlorine is hell on Lycra; some folks just don't seem to notice (or care).

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had- old man with flippers and paddles- guy at our master's group for awhile. He had to be ninety years old and there wasn't a chance anyone was going to risk bodily harm by sharing a lane with him. His stroke with the paddles took up the entire width of the lane.

There's also lane hog guy. Not sure if he's legally blind or if he just tries to be annoying, or maybe he just likes to grope us ladies. But no matter where you are in the lane he will run into you at least 10 times in the span of the hour. Expecially if you are between sets and sitting at the end of the lane.

Hairy guy and cologne guy have gone MIA.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"Water slapping guy. He's smooth on one side but on the other side his recovery arm windmills over and WHAMS the surface sounding like an M80 went off."

We used to call that guy The Claw.[/reply]Not craw, CRAW!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which also reminds me of...

4) "Drafter Man!"- a guy who has figured out he can catch a ride for a lap or two until he blows, rests for five minutes, and then gets on the train again. (this guy is a flipturn accident waiting to happen though, sheesh)

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple more from the Westwood Rec Center in Los Angeles:

1) Tatoo man: This guy has tattoos over pretty much his whole body. He also has muttonchop sideburns, a seal mask, a snorkel, and the biggest scuba fins I've ever seen. People don't usually share a lane with him.

2) Strange Bikini woman: This woman shows up in a tiny bikini and huge fins. She then swims a strange dog paddling stroke on her side for hours.

3) Natural Girl: Doesn't believe in shaving armpits. Enough said.

4) Assorted others: The pool is a couple blocks from the VA Medical Center and across the street from a Salvation Army transitional housing complex. You can imagine what we get from both those places.

Benjamin
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3) "Saggy Swim Suit Guy/Gal"-chlorine is hell on Lycra; some folks just don't seem to notice (or care).

Another deviation is the worn thin suit guy. We can all see his crack because his suit leaves nothing to the imagination.

Or refuses to size up guy who's jammers don't contain him creating a pencil holder in the back. AKA Crackie Chan.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have one of those at Wright-Patt...you catch up to one of these guys, and as you pull even with them, suddenly they spurt out ahead, hold it for about 1/2 a lap, and then you are past them, only to repeat this act everytime you lap them!! I have never seen an "I want to you race you lady", so perhaps this particular species is headed for extinction...

Spot

Quote | Reply
We call "drafter man" "the tailgater". If he loses your feet he cuts the corner at the end and continues the tailgate. To maintain this he wears flippers through the entire practice.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, i also had 'One Fin Woman' who would wear only 1 long fin (with a sock on her foot) as she 'swam' for about 45 min. Always the same leg. And always very crabby and sarcastic.

It is obvious from this thread which STers have spent too much time at the pool....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about 'I Want to Race You Guy?' You know, the guy who waits til you are 500yds into an 800 and decides to push off the wall with you, swim well-above his normal pace for 35 yards, and then can't hang?
Every pool has "that guy!" It's annoying as hell, especially after they figure out they can't hang so they sit at the end of the lane for 10 minutes recovering and then repeats the entire routine again!
Quote Reply

Prev Next