Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, not sure if this totally counts, but I saw a guy at the pool yesterday cranking out lengths in 33SPL and doing flip turns. His flip turns were better than mine so maybe I should shut up now.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mgmoore7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just love this thread every time it gets revived. Except every once in a while I panic that I'll read something crazy... and realize the person is talking about me.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I saw a guy at the pool yesterday cranking out lengths in 33SPL and doing flip turns

Okay, I'm way too noob for this. What does this say?

What's a 33SPL, and how come that's unusual/funny/strange in combination with flip turns. I love this thread, but this post is way over my head.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New sighting at the pool today...there was a very large couple in lane 6 this morning. She was dog paddling extremely slowly. Forward progress was difficult to pick up with the human eye. He was laying on top of two kickboards and dog paddling, with his head a good foot out of the water, with goggles on. The two of them would go up and down in what seemed like 5 minutes, then hang out in the shallow end and talk for 5 minutes, then repeat. Good on 'em for getting up early and moving, though.

But Deep End Guy is now "Naked as long as possible Guy". He is one of those dudes who seems to want to be seen naked. Its pretty revolting. We have nice stalls for showers so you can have some privacy. Not this dude...he showers and dries himself with the door open. Most of the other dudes put a towel on at that point...Naked dude saunters around butt nekkid, then blow dries his hair for what seems like forever with his junk practically sitting on the counter. Then he puts just his shirt on, and proceeds to some other crap for a while, naked from the waist down. It is really odd.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Finally able to contribute to this thread and hope this species hasn't already been discussed.

The Manta Ray - dressed from head to toe in black lycra and a black swim cap with a seal mask. In addition to its attire the manta is distinguished from other pool species by its preference to swimming underwater breast stroke for three strokes, coming up for air and going back under for more breast stroke. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so many of these are sooooooooo funny!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We must have the brother of "Naked as Long as Possible Guy." His name is "Naked Close Talker Guy." I know it sounds like a Seinfeld episode....

And you can't not get in a coversation with him cuz he zeroes in on you as soon as he hears the locker room door open. It can't be that he likes to air dry cuz he looks like an apricot when he squares up in front of you, slightly thrusting his wad at you while you stand there dumbfounded holding your gym bag for fear of stripping down in front of him and starting a sword fight.......

..........kinda scary that he's a retired high school football coach.

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll add mine from my Monday swim:

Mr. Splashy Pants

He hops in the pool and begins the following workout:

Warmup: 4x50 ALL OUT on 2 minute rest
Main Set: 4x50 ALL OUT on 2 minute rest
Cooldown: 2x50 ALL OUT on 2 minute rest
1x10minute stare at sunbathing girls

His splashing makes my lane an open water-style blender. Despite the fact that, I'm, you know, three lanes over.

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Then he puts just his shirt on, and proceeds to some other crap for a while, naked from the waist down. It is really odd.

Probably just waiting for the deodorant on his balls to dry.

Lewis
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that's 33 seconds per length meaning a 66 second 50. It would be considered to be quite slow and is roughly equal to a 48/49 minute 1.2 mile swim. Usually people who can do flip turns are quite a bit faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I saw a guy at the pool yesterday cranking out lengths in 33SPL and doing flip turns

Okay, I'm way too noob for this. What does this say?

What's a 33SPL, and how come that's unusual/funny/strange in combination with flip turns. I love this thread, but this post is way over my head.

Strokes per length; and it's funny because (with all due credit to Katy) at 33SPL it's a wonder the lifeguard doesn't jump in and try to save him!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that's Strokes Per Length. Since 33 is pretty high, I'm guessing that the denizen was going quite slowly, making flip turns either unnecessary or improbable.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [BillyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Strokes per length;

Ah-Hah! Thanks. [/Didn'tSwimInHighSchool]

33? Per (25 yd) length? Damn.

In Reply To:
and it's funny because (with all due credit to Katy) at 33SPL it's a wonder the lifeguard doesn't jump in and try to save him!

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there!

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tatooed homeless hot tubbers. The YMCA I swim at still has the housing upstairs for the homeless guys. Well, they have run of the whole place so they sometimes show up, shirtless tatooed, grubby shorts and all and get to soaking the funk out of themselves in the hot tub. Yea, i never go in that hot tub.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [BillyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Strokes per length; and it's funny because (with all due credit to Katy) at 33SPL it's a wonder the lifeguard doesn't jump in and try to save him!

I was definitely thinking of that quote watching him swim.

As for the person who thought it was Seconds Per Length, I'm insulted that you think I'm vain enough to time someone else's lap--there's no way I would ever do something like that. Now counting his strokes ......................... that I will do :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so they sometimes show up, shirtless tatooed, grubby shorts and all and get to soaking the funk out of themselves in the hot tub.

Bum Soup!

gross.

---

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this thread... the most recent denizen that drives me insane is "Ironman Guy Who Can't Do Flip Turns". I'm an ex-swimmer so I am completely baffled how someone can swim a 3000+ yard workout without doing a single flip turn. I've talked to him and he's done half a dozen IMs.

Are there more of you out there? How do you do it!? Y'all are crazy.

==========================
Love the Madness - Moosejaw.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [healthy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, I am that denizen as well....

I have tried, lord knows I have tried, but I completely suck at flip turns. Half the time I end up doing some sort of epileptic-like spasmodic twisting that results in me being upside down and near the bottom of the pool, with a gallon of water up my nose and completely disoriented. Its not pretty....

Spot

Quote | Reply
haha you and me both brother, i suck at flip turns to so i just don't do em. fortunately i swim in the ocean here in hawaii and will be putting in an endless pool at our next loc.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am this guy, although I have only done one IM. I've got decent times (1:03 IM) and other than my friend beginning to teach me how to flip turn in the past two months I have never actually done one in the middle of a set.

I have tried for as long as I can to not become a flipturner but since my friend is a swimmer and is no coaching me she pretty much made it mandatroy. Hopefully, within the next couple months I will be a flipturning regularly.

Quote | Reply
I am that guy - kinda. I'm the only one in my lane not flipping. You have to go down two slower lanes to find more than one other occasional guy who doesn't flip.

But I am trying so hard to learn them. I know I can kick harder than anyone in masters off the wall and just getting it down smoothly would move me up a lane.

I am paying someone to help me learn but progess is slow. I would offer a $1000 cash bounty right now to anyone here in the DC area who could teach me to do them successfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asthma. Flip turns, believe it or not, put me into too much oxygen debt to be worth doing. I am an ex swimmer as well, and can nail an open turn just as quickly as anyone I know can hit a flip turn. Difference is that I get that breath at the wall.

Exercise induced asthma + radiation induced pulmonary fibrosis = no flip turns

That's just me though.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bum Soup!

gross.

I don't remember if I posted this earlier. But I used to work at a pool as a lifeguard that was near the city's community center. Every year they had their Independence Day festival the last week of June. There was a carnival and the whole nine yards. Of course, with all carnivals, there are the Carnies. They used to come to the pool and pay the 75 cents to get into open swim. We would alwyas find needles and crap in the locker room after they would leave. Pretty nasty.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
I've got my own admittance: I'm "Guy who flip turns reasonably well but who is a slow tri swimmer". My last oly was 33 min, and I've never broken 40 min in an IM. I'm hoping to live stupid close to the pool on base while in San Antonio, and intend to fix that this year.

I learned to flip turn about 8 years ago by watching some lady in a pool when I visited home. Likely she thought I was a weirdo. Anyone see a peeping Tom type in Dublin, OH around the semmer of 2000?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you mention it, yep, 4000 m weekly long swim, first IM in September, no flip turn past, present or future.

I see no point in spending time learning a skill that will add zilch to my swimming except get me out of the pool a minute sooner. And a bad flip turn looks a lot sillier than my quite elegant touch turn (or whatever it is called)

I will also not be peeing in my pants on the bike nor learn a flying bike mount.

If you can do any of these, I feel happy for you.

Anything else that drives you crazy, maybe swimmers than breathe every 2 strokes when real swimmers like you breathe every 3 or 4?
Quote Reply

Prev Next