Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty)
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neat idea. If you fill the frame with helium, do you benefit from some weight savings on the bike? :D
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
Neat idea. If you fill the frame with helium, do you benefit from some weight savings on the bike? :D

Yes, you would, but the helium would have to be an ambient pressure to save your .001 grams of weight ...

If you pressurize the helium, very quickly the weight of your bike will increase (slightly).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Not a bad idea IMO: https://www.kickstarter.com/...ed-bikes/description

While I do admit it is 'out of the box' thinking, I gotta say that this invention kinda borders on insane.

Talk about a solution searching for a problem.

Because there are these nifty little things called bicycle pumps ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

While I do admit it is 'out of the box' thinking, I gotta say that this invention kinda borders on insane.

Talk about a solution searching for a problem.

Because there are these nifty little things called bicycle pumps ...
Not even out of the box I seem to remember motorcycles back in the 60s did this, and motorcycle drag racers often use the swingarm to store air for their gearchange, Perhaps someone will invent a totally silent compressed air motor that the UCI wont be able to scan for! Bring back the oversized frame Cannodales and Kleins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Perhaps someone will invent a totally silent compressed air motor that the UCI wont be able to scan for! Bring back the oversized frame Cannodales and Kleins.

Or you could just vent the compressed air backwards for thrust. And ideally figure out a way to mechanically recharge the compressed air reservoir when moving downhill or tucked into the peleton...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommended pressure is 280psi. Anyone want to run the math on how long that will take to pump that up? Anyone normally have a hand pump around that can do that pressure?
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weight of that air is about the weight of a micropump. That excludes the extra material in the downtube needed to create the sealed cylinder, and the whole plate/hose assembly.

IMO seems like a really marginal reason to pick a bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:

Or you could just vent the compressed air backwards for thrust.

I already do that after I eat Mexican...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They need to take it up a notch and create an auto - fill , auto - release feature to automatically adjust tire pressure for road surface type so you get optimum rolling resistance on the fly
Quote Reply
Re: Store Compressed Air in Your Downtube? (nifty) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a couple compressed air tanks fail at well below 280psi. No way I want this thing between my legs.
I am certainly know engineer, but it seems a catastrophic failure upon impact in a crash could be pretty horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

So your buying a seemingly untested bike frame just because it holds air? I'll stick to carrying a couls CO2. This in my opinion is completely useless and judging by the backers most evryone else feels the same.
Quote Reply