Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The erg has a slight slope as well, though not as steep as the trainer. It's a very small slope. Embarrassingly small.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
I picked up a Vasa erg a couple weeks ago because of threads like these. Thanks for the testimonials, lightheir.

I'm currently reteaching my muscles how to burn after a 6 month layoff from swimming. I can comfortably hold a 2:00/100m pace for 30 minutes and 100s at 1:40 (on 2:00) start to hurt after 6-8. I swam a 36:20 (1:52/100m) at Buffalo Springs last summer so these paces feel about right. I had to cheat and put a book under the rear feet of the bench so that I wasn't bouncing at the base of the slope. Apparently 40-50 watts doesn't get you up the slope and that bouncing is pretty annoying.

I've got an oly in March that I'm looking forward to. I won't be able to get in the pool before then so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I know what you mean by the bouncing of the bump stop.
I *think* its due to our poor technique ie not maintaining a contant pull between strokes (glide?) so we slide backwards until the next pull...which is weak and doesnt move us up the rail very far....then we slide back...
ho hum......... :(
I might never would have realised this without using the trainer.

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm considering purchasing a vasa erg because I just can't make it to the pool more than 3x a week. I'm hoping to do 3 vasa workouts in the comforts of my home due to time crunch. I'm already using stretch cords, but would like to have something more sturdy without having to stand up and hunch over. Are there any specific vasa workouts you recommend (continous, intervals, ...)? Does the vasa come with paddles or just cable grips?
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes with recommended workouts. Although to be honest, you will likely find that for a good 2 months, all you will probably do if is do some continuous moderate effort intervals on it while your arms get toasted - you won't be able to handle much more than that for awhile. Again, I focused less on the workouts themselves than the volume, and tossed in intensity when I felt recovered enough to crank it up. Not complicated at all, but you gotta work hard enough to feel the arm beatdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm actually looking forward to the arm beatdown because it will help with my strength and muscle endurance, so I can get more efficient and feel fresher coming out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2000?!??!! Even $1000 for the cheap version. WOW.

I find it funny that she wears her swim suit while on the machine. It makes sense why, especially if you have mirror to watch elbow and form. Still found it funny.

Quote | Reply
It's the computrainer for swimming! Gadgets cost money. I'm looking at getting a used one.
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's expensive. But it's rock solid, and maintenance-free.

As expensive as it is, it's downright cheap compared to carbon race wheels, and not even comparable compared to indoor water-based swimming options like and endless pool.

Who knows - if they get popular (doubt it), the price might come down like powertaps.

As is, I think this is a potentially huge market for some enterprising individual who could develop a more compact but effective training version for $500-700 range. I know folks will start talking about the resistance cord route, but honestly, I've tried it, and it's not a good long-term solution for swimming replacement, although I'll also admit I've never had a dedicated bench + cord setup to compare with the Vasa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

I find it funny that she wears her swim suit while on the machine. It makes sense why, especially if you have mirror to watch elbow and form. Still found it funny.

Whoa!!! I need a lot of help on the swim but I think I'll try to get to the pool and use cords instead. Now maybe $500-$700 I could be interested...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

The Halo Swim Bench is highly recommended by Sheila T, w/ the complete bench priced at $444.00 and the "converts any bench" system at $149.00. See: http://lanegainer.com/...o-Swim-Training.html

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vasa Trainer now can be purchased with ANT+ capabilities. Makes moving your workout to your on-line training site easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Economist wrote:

The Halo Swim Bench is highly recommended by Sheila T, w/ the complete bench priced at $444.00 and the "converts any bench" system at $149.00. See: http://lanegainer.com/...o-Swim-Training.html

Don't know if any slowtwitchers have tried the new Swimfast Erg but you can purchased a Halo Swim Trainer Template for $95. Their ergometer costs about the same as the Vasa $2,000. http://www.kayakpro.com/...st/index.php#explore

I really want to hear from folks that have used both.
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Economist wrote:

Don't know if any slowtwitchers have tried the new Swimfast Erg but you can purchased a Halo Swim Trainer Template for $95. Their ergometer costs about the same as the Vasa $2,000. http://www.kayakpro.com/...st/index.php#explore

I haven't used either the Vasa or the Kayakpro Swimfast erg or the Halo Swim Bench that I mentioned, but I have heard great things about them, espec from lightheir who has improved his swimming dramatically by using the Vasa. Personally, I really enjoy the actual in-the-water experience of swimming itself so I prob won't buy any of these:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you look for my posts on this subject you will see I have been pleased with my results.
It is now since July 2014 I received my vasa erg, placed next to my CT, and TM. My results speak for themselves. I have not been in a pool for 9 months and don't see any need to now. In the past 5 weeks I have competed in hard in sprint and OD events. My swim placing before vasa would put me asa MOP, now I am In the front pack. Now not as good as school or college swimmer, but then I am a runner and I I need to do is be close on the swim , closer on the bike as I do anyway moving up the field and then I just move up again in the run. By the end on a local level and state level I podium and national level I'm in the 10%. Not higher because I was hit by a car on the bike that has affected my run by as much as 10-20% and so too on the bike.
But back to vasa. Over the past months using vasa I have followed the same training I use successfully for running. 2xcv pace/ css swimming sessions always followed by easy. The Saturday is a SBR brick session at race pace, sunday day off when not a race weekend. All sessions sre 30 mins. And everyday.
Yes the technique is a compromise and so is my running now. It works.
Fyi pre vasa 70.3 swim 37 now 31
Pre vasa OD swim 29 now 25
Pre vasa sprint 15 now 11:xx
My finish times now for 70.3 are ~ 4:30, OD ~ 2:03, sprint ~ 63 mins.

Some love going to the pool, some can't get to a pool. I'm the later. I love running and cycling too outdoors but to get faster requires consistency. Being in the garage brings consistency and results. I won. My local sprint series, I lead the points of the state series only to lose on a count back for best performance, and on a national level I'm third on points. I have a ticket to the world duathlons and worlds AG Olympic diet in Chicago. And I hope in the next 6 months I qualify for world 70.3. All in one year of being hit by a bloody careless driver who doesn't know it but empowered me to stand up and get back on my feet to go just as fast before the accident.

As for training on the vasa, I found swim smooth training program adapting it to the vasa works well. Rather like my CT you get to a level by watching the numbers. HR, Watts, stroke, time, etc. I do the same for e Nike for being on the vasa. Having the power meter on the vasa is my way just like for the bike to check my progress and be keep in check not over doing it. I then log this into training peaks.

AussiemikeinSD

ericmulk wrote:
DC Pattie wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Economist wrote:

I haven't used either the Vasa or the Kayakpro Swimfast erg or the Halo Swim Bench that I mentioned, but I have heard great things about them, espec from lightheir who has improved his swimming dramatically by using the Vasa. Personally, I really enjoy the actual in-the-water experience of swimming itself so I prob won't buy any of these:)

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right Mike, I know you are an enthusiastic Vasa devotee also!!! Actually, you and lightheir have me half-way thinking about getting one myself, just to see if it would help as supplemental swim-specific strength training. OTOH, as I've said many times, I just love the physical sensation of being in the water, so not sure if i can justify the expense. But keep up the great work, it is obv that you've improved a lot via the Vasa!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my ERG at the end of last season, but was then sidelined (until this last week) so haven't had much chance to use it. I'm in the boat of "love to swim, but nearest pool can be a 2hr commute all told at rush hour times, which just kills compared to "walk into my garage and go."

That said, I did 10 minutes yesterday (first time) and can barely move my arms today. I can't see how I'll ever be doing 30+ minutes ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger on the Vasa Erg. Looking forward to using it the days I don't swim in the pool. Plan to swim 3x/wk in the pool and 3x on the Vasa. It's great to have all I need in the house: TM, indoor trainer w/PT & TR, and a Vasa. No excuses to miss a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the Vasa Erg. Looking forward to using it the days I don't swim in the pool. Plan to swim 3x/wk in the pool and 3x on the Vasa. It's great to have all I need in the house: TM, indoor trainer w/PT & TR, and a Vasa. No excuses to miss a workout.

If you need any excuses to miss a workout let me know. I seem to be very very good at them lately. :/

Quote | Reply
I picked up a Vasa in mid-January after not doing any form of swimming for 4 months. I still have yet to get in the water but for the past three months I've been swimming on the Vasa 3x/week for roughly 2500m/session. I'll pick up the training in two weeks after I take a licensing exam I've been studying for.

Vasa's website says door 1 is like swimming with a current and door 7 is like swimming against one. I was never a swim stud but perhaps my swim layoff has hurt me more than I anticipated. I just switched my main sets to door 2 and I feel like I'm wearing paddles. I'd be curious to get others' opinions on this - on what door do you feel like Vasa swimming equals pool/OW times? Do your stroke rates line up as well? I realize that a 1:30 pace on the Vasa (any door) will yield different swim times for different swimmers because of a change in drag from person to person. I'm just trying to get a rough feel.

Right or wrong I've done a 500m test in door 1 every few weeks since getting the Vasa. I'll have to move to door 2 as I'm reaching the limits of my turnover. Here's my progression thus far.
Feb 04: 8:58 (1:48/100)
Feb 20: 8:15 (1:39/100)
Mar 10: 8:02 (1:36/100)
Mar 25: 7:45 (1:33/100)

I've got an olympic next weekend. I'll report back on how it goes.

Texas 4000 for Cancer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
I picked up a Vasa in mid-January after not doing any form of swimming for 4 months. I still have yet to get in the water but for the past three months I've been swimming on the Vasa 3x/week for roughly 2500m/session. I'll pick up the training in two weeks after I take a licensing exam I've been studying for.

Vasa's website says door 1 is like swimming with a current and door 7 is like swimming against one. I was never a swim stud but perhaps my swim layoff has hurt me more than I anticipated. I just switched my main sets to door 2 and I feel like I'm wearing paddles. I'd be curious to get others' opinions on this - on what door do you feel like Vasa swimming equals pool/OW times? Do your stroke rates line up as well? I realize that a 1:30 pace on the Vasa (any door) will yield different swim times for different swimmers because of a change in drag from person to person. I'm just trying to get a rough feel.

Right or wrong I've done a 500m test in door 1 every few weeks since getting the Vasa. I'll have to move to door 2 as I'm reaching the limits of my turnover. Here's my progression thus far.

Ya, keep us updated on your progress!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, please do let us know. Very interested also!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:

Also interested to hear how this goes for you. Hopefully well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:

Results are in from yesterday's race. Unfortunately it's not as cut and dry as I had hoped but I think I can draw some meaningful conclusions. By all accounts the swim was long thanks to what felt like a last minute course change. A friend who consistently swims 30 minutes in a HIM expected to swim ~23 yesterday but swam 27:20; his watch read 1760m. The male 25-44 podiums had swimmers at a 1:50 to 2:10 pace versus last year where they were 1:30 to 1:50 per 100m. The waters were calmer this year compared to last.

Those are all my excuses for why I was about 2:30 slower this year (30:35 versus 33:07). Also I swallowed a bit of seawater.

Some notes. My navigation felt about as mediocre as usual. Stroke mechanics and form felt awkward, like I had no feel for the water. Unsurprising after staying dry for 7 months. Recalculating my pace using 1760m gives me a 1:53 pace which is not too far off what I realistically expected. After my exam this Friday I'll ramp up to 4x Vasa and one OWS/pool session a week and see how that goes.

Not that anyone cares but even with that swim I managed to snag 3rd place in my AG with a 1:05 bike on chip seal and a 40:50 run.

Texas 4000 for Cancer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
santino314 wrote:

Results are in from yesterday's race. Unfortunately it's not as cut and dry as I had hoped but I think I can draw some meaningful conclusions. By all accounts the swim was long thanks to what felt like a last minute course change. A friend who consistently swims 30 minutes in a HIM expected to swim ~23 yesterday but swam 27:20; his watch read 1760m. The male 25-44 podiums had swimmers at a 1:50 to 2:10 pace versus last year where they were 1:30 to 1:50 per 100m. The waters were calmer this year compared to last.

Those are all my excuses for why I was about 2:30 slower this year (30:35 versus 33:07). Also I swallowed a bit of seawater.

Some notes. My navigation felt about as mediocre as usual. Stroke mechanics and form felt awkward, like I had no feel for the water. Unsurprising after staying dry for 7 months. Recalculating my pace using 1760m gives me a 1:53 pace which is not too far off what I realistically expected. After my exam this Friday I'll ramp up to 4x Vasa and one OWS/pool session a week and see how that goes.

Not that anyone cares but even with that swim I managed to snag 3rd place in my AG with a 1:05 bike on chip seal and a 40:50 run.

I picked up a Vasa Trainer last November. Prior to getting the Vasa Trainer my 100m times in the pool were 1:45/100m at a max effort pace. Now that I have been using the Vasa Trainer I am swimming 1:24 - 1:28/100m in the pool for my entire workout and my goal this season is to improve to 1:20 - 1:22/100m.

Two things I did in addition to using the Vasa was I still hit the pool once a week to truely practice swim form and second was I watch swim training videos to make sure I have good freestyle technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
santino314 wrote:

What was the overall fastest swimmer's split??? I've found the speed of the very fastest guy/girl to be a pretty good indicator of swim length. I always evaluate my splits for all 3 legs relative to what the very fastest person did.

Quote Reply

Prev Next