Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [toadbra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a 3 minute all out test, record the power and on another day do a 20 minute all out test and record the power.

Plot joules vs time in seconds for those tests (using a spreadsheet program to make it simpler), the slope of the line between the two points is your critical power and a pretty good estimate of your one hour power.

In swimming, it is most common to use a 200 meter and 400 meter swim in the same manner as above, but you'll get a more aggressive estimate of your critical power.

You can also do an FTP test, hop on and pound it out for an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer! Very useful information!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Do a 3 minute all out test, record the power and on another day do a 20 minute all out test and record the power.
Plot joules vs time in seconds for those tests (using a spreadsheet program to make it simpler), the slope of the line between the two points is your critical power and a pretty good estimate of your one hour power.
In swimming, it is most common to use a 200 meter and 400 meter swim in the same manner as above, but you'll get a more aggressive estimate of your critical power.
You can also do an FTP test, hop on and pound it out for an hour.

Wouldn't he actually need to plot watts, not joules??? Watts measure power whereas joules and calories measure energy.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When plotting Joules vs seconds, the slope of the best fit line is watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
When plotting Joules vs seconds, the slope of the best fit line is watts.

Ah, i see, thanks for that info; i've never done any of this type of graphing, but have done tons of it in my engineering schooling and work:)

Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been able to use the ANT+ to log data yet? I'm on my second head unit from Vasa and so far this one is even worse using my Garmin Edge 520. The power data connection drops even with the 520 sitting right next to the head unit and doesn't reconnect except if the head unit is stopped and then started back up. I just tested with an Edge 500 and I get the exact same result. I tried TrainerRoad when I first got the Vasa and it wasn't any better. It isn't often that any ANT+ device drops, but they always reconnect quickly if they do, but this does not appear to be happening with the Vasa head unit.

No one else has experienced something like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear/read a lot about "hip driven freestyle".
Is it possible to replicate this on the Erg and if so how does it "feel" ie what muscle activation or position should I be aiming for?

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Last edited by: DavidUK: Feb 28, 16 0:25
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping some seasoned Vasa users can help me out.

I purchased a used Vasa several months ago and spent the winter trying to get accustomed to using it but I find it is so damn tiring - not like do 500m and get tired, more like I can manage 5x50 on long rest and then I'm done (on the easiest setting) - averaging wattage under 30 and time at 2:30ish per 100m. I've tried all kinds of variations of workouts to try and build from but it it so fatiguing that after 4 days my arms and shoulders feel totally wrecked and I need a couple of days to recover. The only comparison I can come up with is that it is as though I'm trying to do a weight workout with a weight that is too heavy - yeah I can do it, but I feel like if I cut the weight in half, it would be much more useful.

Am I just a wimp, with really weak shoulders, am I possibly missing something (a hidden adjustment), or is it possible there is something wrong with the unit (I've visually inspected it and it looks like everything is in place and moving freely)?

For comparison, my wetsuit IM time is about 1:20 and I'm doing about 5000 yards a week in the pool - 5x100 on 2:00 is a common part of my pool workouts and that doesn't kill.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [pvl000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvl000 wrote:
Hoping some seasoned Vasa users can help me out.

I purchased a used Vasa several months ago and spent the winter trying to get accustomed to using it but I find it is so damn tiring - not like do 500m and get tired, more like I can manage 5x50 on long rest and then I'm done (on the easiest setting) - averaging wattage under 30 and time at 2:30ish per 100m. I've tried all kinds of variations of workouts to try and build from but it it so fatiguing that after 4 days my arms and shoulders feel totally wrecked and I need a couple of days to recover. The only comparison I can come up with is that it is as though I'm trying to do a weight workout with a weight that is too heavy - yeah I can do it, but I feel like if I cut the weight in half, it would be much more useful.

Am I just a wimp, with really weak shoulders, am I possibly missing something (a hidden adjustment), or is it possible there is something wrong with the unit (I've visually inspected it and it looks like everything is in place and moving freely)?

For comparison, my wetsuit IM time is about 1:20 and I'm doing about 5000 yards a week in the pool - 5x100 on 2:00 is a common part of my pool workouts and that doesn't kill.

Thoughts?

You might want to send a PM to the ST-er known as "lightheir". He is "Mr. Vasa" and has improved greatly from using this machine. I believe he had a similar experience to yours when he started, but he worked through it. He can give you some solid advice and commiserate with you:)

Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [pvl000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try taking the batteries out of the computer, and re-inserting. My understanding is that the calibration for zero force is done only once, when batteries are inserted. So if something got messed up in the calibration, that should reset it. I actually do this before every workout. I'm not sure, but I *THINK* that there maybe uncompensated temperature issues. My Erg is in an unheated space (temperature can range from 40F to 80F depending on time of year) and I've noticed results that sometimes seem a little off. So I've taken to just removing/re-inserting batteries with each use when I care about average speed/power.

Occasionally, the power is really low on my unit; seems like some sort of error when first starting use. So I always check, and if the numbers are really low (like half what I expect), I release the hand paddles, then turn the computer off, wait for the "beep" indicating the computer turned off, and re-start.

You could check the force readings to make sure that both sensors are actually working, and you're not just getting a reading from one side of the other. (Look at the manual; I just don' remember.)

P.S. I have a Vasa Erg; did > 6Km today on it. It is not uncommon for new users to report what you are experiencing. Not sure why, I didn't experience it. ("It" being that the Erg seems really hard compared to "real" swimming.) But after a few weeks of consistent use, everyone I've spoken with believes that the Erg reported pace correlates quite well with open water swimming speed (no kick, no wetsuit)

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
Try taking the batteries out of the computer, and re-inserting. My understanding is that the calibration for zero force is done only once, when batteries are inserted. So if something got messed up in the calibration, that should reset it. I actually do this before every workout. I'm not sure, but I *THINK* that there maybe uncompensated temperature issues. My Erg is in an unheated space (temperature can range from 40F to 80F depending on time of year) and I've noticed results that sometimes seem a little off. So I've taken to just removing/re-inserting batteries with each use when I care about average speed/power.

Occasionally, the power is really low on my unit; seems like some sort of error when first starting use. So I always check, and if the numbers are really low (like half what I expect), I release the hand paddles, then turn the computer off, wait for the "beep" indicating the computer turned off, and re-start.

You could check the force readings to make sure that both sensors are actually working, and you're not just getting a reading from one side of the other. (Look at the manual; I just don' remember.)

P.S. I have a Vasa Erg; did > 6Km today on it. It is not uncommon for new users to report what you are experiencing. Not sure why, I didn't experience it. ("It" being that the Erg seems really hard compared to "real" swimming.) But after a few weeks of consistent use, everyone I've spoken with believes that the Erg reported pace correlates quite well with open water swimming speed (no kick, no wetsuit)

Thank you!!!!

Changing the battery did the trick. Did a quick set and power up to 70 easy and time almost 40% faster - so distance was way under estimated before - that explains everything.

For some reason, I didn't think that the wattage would have any impact on the distance - was thinking stroke rate x stroke length. So I wasn't really worried about the erg side of the equipment and thus didn't think about the fact that my distance might be off, was just thinking resistance was too high. Otherwise I would have swapped the batteries out months ago. Tunnel vision.

Thank you again!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the monorail sliding bench accomplish anything?

Can you use the "space saver" option with a stationary bench as an option without any drawbacks?

Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hank rearden wrote:
Does the monorail sliding bench accomplish anything?

Can you use the "space saver" option with a stationary bench as an option without any drawbacks?

I'm sure the space saver would work fine. The monorail bench doesn't do a ton, in my opinion. In fact, once I get up to steady state speed, I'm not sliding forward/back at all on the vasa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since a new post here. Anyone out there have a breakthrough performance after using the Vasa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I was looking for... thanks. It seems like using the space saver is better because:
It is cheaper.
Fits in my "space" better.
Allows me to view an Ipad screen better (netflix, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well perhaps not so much a breakthrough....all I can say is if you don't swim and buy a Vasa and then don't use the Vasa either you definitely don't get quicker.
I've just re read Dan's piece on his Vasa as it was under the center snorkel article and thought I'd look at this thread again to try and kick my arse into gear during the off season.

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
santino314 wrote:
I picked up a Vasa in mid-January after not doing any form of swimming for 4 months. I still have yet to get in the water but for the past three months I've been swimming on the Vasa 3x/week for roughly 2500m/session. I'll pick up the training in two weeks after I take a licensing exam I've been studying for.

Right or wrong I've done a 500m test in door 1 every few weeks since getting the Vasa. I'll have to move to door 2 as I'm reaching the limits of my turnover. Here's my progression thus far.
Feb 04: 8:58 (1:48/100)
Feb 20: 8:15 (1:39/100)
Mar 10: 8:02 (1:36/100)
Mar 25: 7:45 (1:33/100)

I've got an olympic next weekend. I'll report back on how it goes.

Results are in from yesterday's race. Unfortunately it's not as cut and dry as I had hoped but I think I can draw some meaningful conclusions. By all accounts the swim was long thanks to what felt like a last minute course change. A friend who consistently swims 30 minutes in a HIM expected to swim ~23 yesterday but swam 27:20; his watch read 1760m. The male 25-44 podiums had swimmers at a 1:50 to 2:10 pace versus last year where they were 1:30 to 1:50 per 100m. The waters were calmer this year compared to last.

Those are all my excuses for why I was about 2:30 slower this year (30:35 versus 33:07). Also I swallowed a bit of seawater.

Some notes. My navigation felt about as mediocre as usual. Stroke mechanics and form felt awkward, like I had no feel for the water. Unsurprising after staying dry for 7 months. Recalculating my pace using 1760m gives me a 1:53 pace which is not too far off what I realistically expected. After my exam this Friday I'll ramp up to 4x Vasa and one OWS/pool session a week and see how that goes.

Not that anyone cares but even with that swim I managed to snag 3rd place in my AG with a 1:05 bike on chip seal and a 40:50 run.

Circling back to this.

Galveston 70.3 (April 10) - 35:54 (1:53 pace)
Prior 6 weeks - average 7k m/week (all Vasa, no pool/OWS)
I was rushed putting on a new wetsuit. Plenty of contact in the water. Not my best swim.

IM Canada (July 24) - 1:07:05 (1:46 pace)
Prior 6 weeks - average 12.5k m/week (5 pool swims total this year)
Had plenty of time to put on the wetsuit. Very little contact with the rolling swim start. Felt great.

For comparison, I did IM Texas in 2013 without a wetsuit, after swimming maybe 6-10k yards/week in training. Came out of the water in about 1:27 which felt like an eternity.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [DavidUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidUK wrote:
Well perhaps not so much a breakthrough....all I can say is if you don't swim and buy a Vasa and then don't use the Vasa either you definitely don't get quicker.

My vasa sat unused literally for years until this forum's lighheir mentioned putting a laptop under the bench when on the vasa.

It was a blinding flash of the obvious and now I use it regularly in the winter. I use a laptop, a one gallon ziploc bag to keep the sweat off of the computer, amazon prime videos and everything is fine. Have gotten much more use out of it in the past year than in the previous 7 or so that I had it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
DavidUK wrote:

My vasa sat unused literally for years until this forum's lighheir mentioned putting a laptop under the bench when on the vasa.

It was a blinding flash of the obvious and now I use it regularly in the winter. I use a laptop, a one gallon ziploc bag to keep the sweat off of the computer, amazon prime videos and everything is fine. Have gotten much more use out of it in the past year than in the previous 7 or so that I had it.

get a fan and you won't need the bag. i have headphones and an iPad--espn, hbo go, amazon, netflix.
i've basically been using a vasa only for about 2 years now and happy with the results.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
get a fan and you won't need the bag. i have headphones and an iPad--espn, hbo go, amazon, netflix.
i've basically been using a vasa only for about 2 years now and happy with the results.

I've got a box fan blowing full blast right on me. Doesn't do the trick, perhaps I generate more waste heat than you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a breakthrough performance, but have had the Vasa for three years now, and only really started using it properly a month ago due to throat infection and trying to stay out of the water! Had normal swim training on Friday night, and in the warm alone I managed a 1:22/100m, which felt pretty smooth and comfortable. A month ago I would swim 1:20 only with real effort, so I think a month on the Vasa alone that included 6 sessions a week with around 2200m in each session has paid dividend. I don't believe that the Vasa alone without actual pool time would get you through an IM or 70.3, but it defintley has helped my strength!

So now for the off season, well did not really have a season due to one illness after another this year (only one Olympic Distance this year, and had five 70.3 planned & booked), I m doing twice a week pool session as a group training, plus four times a week on the Vasa for strength and some speed work! Got my Ipad and headphones set up, so it doesn't feel like a long session, with each session being a maximum 45mins long. Perfekt for TV Shows!

It be interesting to see how this works out with next race being Dubai 70.3.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [DavidUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidUK wrote:
I've just re read Dan's piece on his Vasa as it was under the center snorkel article and thought I'd look at this thread again to try and kick my arse into gear during the off season.

odd how that works isn't it? ;)

I don't use my vasa eg nearly enough. Need to get started on it during off season though.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true! Had it sitting in my cellar for too long and just kept going to the pool as the pool was 5mins away! But with baby and having a throat infection I finally started using it! It be interesting to see how it develops over the next few months! Swam a 28:35 at my last 70.3 with a wetsuit, and next race should be Dubai 70.3 and that be with a swimskin!

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [alexne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine last week and put it together this weekend. I was motivated to do something after being destroyed in the swim at the SOS tri. I am a ~35+min HIM swimmer and had trouble doing 5min on the trainer this morning in the easiest setting. I guess I will be working my way up slowly.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Still any VASA swim erg users out there? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will. Look back ay my old post on this. It took many weeks to build up to door settings 8.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply

Prev Next