Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sticky Patellar - Random Stabbing Knee Pain
Quote | Reply
Dear Dr. Slowtwitch,

Diagnose this:

Without warning, I randomly experience a sharp, stabbing, pain directly inside and below my kneecap while running. It always hits on the foot plant and is severe enough that I hop onto the other leg and yelp in pain.

In my mind, it feels like my patellar tendon sticks on my kneecap or is pinched in some way.

Then, nothing: Like it never happened. I generally shut it down and walk it off, but have found I can jog immediately afterward without pain or consequence.

Running uphill at a 1.5% grade on the treadmill consistently provides relief. Kino tape below the kneecap also helps.

Causes or cures? Speculation welcome; fire away!
Quote Reply
Re: Sticky Patellar - Random Stabbing Knee Pain [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am speculating a meniscus tear.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Sticky Patellar - Random Stabbing Knee Pain [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; reassuring to know I’m not the only one and your solution was simple.

Even better, your feedback is consistent with what I’ve found poking around online. My self-diagnosis is Plica Syndrome caused by the quad imbalances you’ve described.

“The medial plica of the knee is a well-vascularized thin, intra articular fold of the synovial tissue over the medial aspect of the knee. It originates at the genu articularis muscle (contracts to lift knee capsule out from under patella with extension of the knee), and crosses over the medial aspect of the medial femoral condyle to attach to the distomedial aspect of the intra articular synovial lining of the knee. In some patients, particularly those who may have had injuries or surgeries over the medial aspect of the knee, the medial plica can become thick and fibrotic and catch with flexion and extension of the knee.

The primary symptom caused by plica syndrome is pain. There may also be a snapping sensation along the inside of the knee as the knee is bent. This is due to the rubbing of the thickened plica over the round edge of the thighbone where it enters the joint.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sticky Patellar - Random Stabbing Knee Pain [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that a few times a year. Usually at the beginning of a run. Weird.
Quote Reply