Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stem choice... opinions please
Quote | Reply
Have new TT bike all built up. Have a Zipp Vuka on a Argon18 116. Everything is dialed in, but haven't bought a final stem yet. Am open to anything. No Di issues to worry about as am running R2C Red build.
Votes for.... ??? What to avoid... ???

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would get a Zipp stem so it matches your aerobars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp Service Course. It matches and it's a great stem.

Honestly, I have had a lot of stems and can't tell the difference between any of them. I sometimes hear people comparing stem stiffness, but I think that's well beyond my ability to discern.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard the same about stiffness and was almost beat by one of them when I tried to order a XXX Race Lite!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig.com is coming out with a pretty neat stem with some aero features, and cable-cleaning up features, as well as built in cable stop for center pull brakes.

other than that one, just go by price and looks!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp service course has a new beyond black. Very sweet

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [Rattlesnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you say beyond black?!? An my decision is made!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes sir! It's a good looking unit. Matched the zipp bars well!

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Integra

#theracestartsatT2
#rocktheW
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [Jackass1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackass1 wrote:
http://3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Integra

that is pimp
but to be that pimp and not available in -17?
UNACCEPTABLE

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've yet to feel a performance difference between stems, but I guess I've never tried a few back to back.

I like the look of all the 3T stuff, but it is pricey. The Zipp service course line is nice looking. I have some service course sl bars that I love, and I'm sure the stems are just as nice.

I have a bontrager (XXX light aluminum i think) on my road bike. I had to wrap it in electrical tape to cover the decals, which are hideous in my opinion. It's a loaner from my LBS until my 120mm C1 stem arrives. Honestly, the C1 cannondale stems are light and look decent. My LBS has so many in stock that they've removed from new bikes that they practically give them away. I think weight is comparable to the 3T team....but they don't have a beyond black color available.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran over a Ferrel cat on my bike ride today, had the same look.

#theracestartsatT2
#rocktheW
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a dated story, but back when (94 or so) I was working for PBS and had just EP-ed a Syncros stem. I'd been warned that going from a forged alloy stem to the welded alloy Syncros I'd better be careful or I'd lever my front wheel out from underneath me.

Pshaw! It can't be *that* different!

So I rode a few times on the new stem and it felt marginally stiffer top to bottom. First sprint workout and HOLYH-LLFIRES--T! I darn near levered my front wheel out from underneath me!

So, going from a forged Specialized stem to a Syncros welded stem there IS a difference. Going from the Ritchey 12cm WCS on one bike, to the 3T 11cm stem on another, and on to the Zipp Service Course SL 11cm on the third I feel zero difference. There's still a Syncros stem on my 96 Allez, but I'm missing shifters to get it back on the road so can't compare that right now. :cry

For that matter, I don't particularly notice a whole lot of difference between the 2 Ergosum bars and the S-Works carbon bars on the third bike.

YMMV

M
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [Gummee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zipp is the bomb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried so so so many stems.
Deda 100 and zero 1,
Cinelli graphis and vai,
two fsa's,
Zipp service course and sl145,
3t arc.....

But I think my favorite stem of all time is the Pro Vibe 7s puzzle stem. This is a super stiff and very light stem. I could actually feel it getting stiffer the more pressure I put on it. It's that pretty ingenious puzzle face plate.
I've noticed over the years that a crap load of pro teams use that same stem. I thought it was just a Shimano thing, but I've noticed that the pros use it off season too. But pound for pound as well. Best stem I've ever used. One thing to consider is that it CANNOT be flipped upside down due to the puzzle.

Socks
Quote Reply
Re: Stem choice... opinions please [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's the Pro Vibe 7s stem. Notice how there are only two bolts instead of 4? Thing actually tightens up when push them. Gets stiffer! And it's not circular it's semi triangleular.
They sell it in carbon if you have some cash to blow.....

Socks
Quote Reply