Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men
Quote | Reply
Funny, I read that slowman gets these questions every time he writes his knoa bike survey, but maybe it's because the asnwers are not that clear - which maybe impossible do to the individual differences among us.

I've read a few articles on slowtwitch site about this - if all the information is there and I just ain't found it just let me know and send me back. Slowmans claims say that steep works fro him but might not for all, but most pro's ride steep, but some of the fastest haven't etc.

Regarding the steep V's shallow debate: IS aero postitioning the only advantage of riding the steep angle?

From what I read on Cobb's old site it is not always the case and is a compromsie on power trade off - so an athlete is advised to test whether or not steep will work. If this is the case slowman seems to get mighty upset with any triathlete riding a shallow angle? Why?

Why steep?

I've read that steep is good for: Opening up hip angle, shortening top tube (effective) length. Side view pics of steep riders (as identified by others not me) seem to look as if they would have trouble getting much power to pedal

Watching Pro cyclsits who can't have seat more than 5cm within BB only a few ride a little further on the saddle which would not really put them in the steep class?

And where is the actual angle measured (apart from seat-tube anlge) as people have their seats and seat posts (and different seats at that) in all manner of places.

From Slowmans kona seat angles article:

Macca having trouble on the run? Really - I think his Kona troubles as slowman alluded to in another post are more internal/chemcial then mechanical. He doesn't seem to have much trouble running off the bike elsewhere to me.

Why is one an amatuer if they ride shallow?

Why is it considered progress if more pepple ride steep?

Please forgive if these seem naive questions I am just after some substantiation as to why steep is good and shallow is frownded upon.
Quote Reply
Re: Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men [Straight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[snip]

there are two issues w/regard to steep v shallow. the ride itself, and the run off the bike. there are a couple of articles you might want to read that specifically address these points. i think that *maybe* macca leaves his run on the bike course because of his bike position.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/seatangle.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/neuro.html

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men [Straight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"slowman seems to get mighty upset with any triathlete riding a shallow angle? Why? "

Realize that Slowman is one of the originators of the steep angle/650 bike so would be expected to have strong opinions that other bike designers, etc. may not always agree with. His arguements for his type of design are quite logical but he occassionally seems to over look that some top pros and AG'ers ride and run quite fast on shallow bikes. There are a lot of options available to triathletes. Going steep/650 can be a good one, but it really comes down to experimenting and then deciding which one works best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, that Dan is one of the originators of this type of forward fit and riding style. Therefore, it is understood that he would stand solidly behind this position( no pun itended). There is, as I seem to recall information and research to back up what he preaches. Also, there is ancedotal evidence in races such as IMH and other large triathlons, based on who is doing well to lead one to believe that steeper is better.

However, it is incumbant upon every triathlete who is concerned about their performace to find out what works best for them. The problem is that most don't. They by the bike, do some rudimentry measuring, slap on some aero bars and away they go. Even at big competitive Ironman races I still see a large number of triathletes who have what I consider horrific bike fit. I still wonder why this is with all of the great reasources that are out there

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I still wonder why this is with all of the great reasources that are out there"

It always amazes me how many people will drop big bucks on a bike (or any other item) and always assume that the sales clerk is an expert. IMO, you have to take at last some responsibility and research things of for yourself. I'm probably a bit extreme this way since I generally never trust anyone's opinion except my own once extensive research has been done. Of course this involves time and effort so for many people it's just easier to hand everything over to the person selling the item and hope they really are experts.
Quote Reply
Re: Steep V's Shallow (Slow(wo)men or Fast(wo)men [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean that all shop employees are not aero experts? BLASPHOMY!!!!!

As heard in bicycle shops across the country....

"Best bike for you sir...right here (in stock of course)...it may seem a little big but it is a PERFECT fit for you! (As it is in stock)...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply