Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Steel tri bike (Serotta)?
Quote | Reply
I am looking to purchase a custom tri-bike for next season (I am a genetic freak and no mass produced tri frame would fit properly).

Just raced Timberman this past Sunday, and spoke to the Serotta guys at the Expo--I never considered this brand before, thinking that it was way out of my price range, and not realizing they built tri-specific models. It turns out, they do, and the price ranges from $3,500-$4,500 (about as much as I am willing to spend)--and they are made of steel--the CXII model--there's also CXII SL (with carbon seattube-but that isn't an option since they start at a size too big for me).

I haven't really seen any steel tri-bikes before, so it seemed like an unusual choice of material (but I am not an expert by any means! Serotta has stellar reputation so they must know what they are doing). What's your take on it? Admittedly, I really like the look of steel (thin tubes, kind of more of a classic look), and I live in NYC, so I can enlist the services of Paul Levine, who, it seems like, is considered the top Serotta bike fitter.

Until this weekend, the frontrunner was a custom Yaqui--alu/carbon combo. Now I am completely torn between the two.

Any thoughts on either one of these bikes (or both)? Advantages/disadvantages? Which one would you consider a better deal ($4,000 or so is a LOT of money for me, so I am definitely looking for a good value. I know that the bike will get a lot of use though, so it will be worth it)?

FYI: I currently ride a pretty cheap aluminum road bike.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [NYC05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I haven't really seen any steel tri-bikes before,"

The original QR's were steel and some of the bike times from that era are still faster than on the gollygeewhiz carbo/aero bikes of today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serotta has a very good reputation and there a couple of folks on this site that have them and speak of them highly.

I have a steel bike and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The ride is very smooth and due to advances in technology and materials and materials processing, it is a very light ride. It seems that I am on the other end of the size spectrum from you and my bike, made from Reynolds 853, weighs in at less than 20 lbs "naked" at a 61cm frame. "Naked" is what I call the minimalist functioning bike: bike without doo-dads, but including computer, pedals, and seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike would you want if it actually fit you?

ABG (Litespeed, QR) does a ton of custom work. I think Guru does also.

Call around to different manufacturers and see what they offer. For $4k, you have a lot of options.

Custom doesn't have to be small builder, round tube, steel, bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat the Serotta brand. I ride a Ottrott ST tri-geometry frame. I love it. I feel like 100% of the power I output goes to moving the bike forward. Any of their models can be built in tri/TT geometry. You could even get a CIII in trigeometry if you didn't want the "aero" downtube. I'd talk to Paul Levine to see if that might be a better deal, since they have a little bit more control over tubing when using the round tube.

I was also considering a Yaqui, but ended up with my Serotta and couldn't be happier. Steel requires a little bit of extra care (framesaver about once a year and remember to dry it a bit more carefully if you ride in the wet). But the ride compared to aluminum is night and day. I think you would be very happy.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serotta's are amazing bikes of outstanding quality. Serotta sells it's cxii as a tri bike but if you look at all of the models you can get anyone of them in a tri geo and config. I ride a Nove as my road/tri bike and I love it super comfortable and handles like a dream.

Give Paul a call and just talk bikes for a while. www.signaturecycles.com

pm if you need more info.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [super clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean Bicycles (www.deanbikes.com) used to dabble in steel and other strange tubesets (metammic?). They are almost exclusively Ti and Ti/Carbon now and do a substantial amount of custom work. I've got a custom Ti frame from them, built to fit and with a steeper 76 degrees seat angle. Fits like a charm, I have never been more comfortable on a bike. No aero tubes though, so it doesn't have that faster than schnell look. A bit of a heads up, all custom bikes take a long time to build up - from order to delivery you can count on 6 months from most small builders (unless you fluke out).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, what about you is the freak of nature part? Tall? Short? Oddly proportioned?
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [mike_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serotta delivers in 6-8 weeks. 6 months if for little one man shows like Richard Sachs...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try again. I spoke with Sachs a couple months ago. He has a three year wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true. I should have said >6months is for builders like Sachs. It's worth the wait, from what I hear... Are you on the list?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet this bike will be VERY fast, steel is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short (with longer torso vs. legs)
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [jmg1848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. So far most votes are for Serotta. Just curioius, how come no love for the Yaquis?

As for QR/Litespeed, etc-my thinking was, a smaller builder (whose business is primarily custom) would be more likely to really customize everything based on YOU and your riding style (for instance, Serotta uses different tubes depending on how much a rider weighs, etc). While a mass manufacturer who has a custom division would just take a standard frame and make it smaller to fit my proportions. I could be wrong though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my CXII for two seasons now and am very happy with it. I haven't ridden the CS model. Serotta claims that "[c]omfort is enhanced even further in the CXII CS with the addition of our carbon fiber seat stay". Could be, but I don't have any complaints about the ride of my CXII.

I don't have any experience with Yaquis but have only heard good things about them. Bottom line, $3.5K to $4.5K should get you a very nice bike. Good luck and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a vast amount of love for Yaqui on this forum. Just run a search for "Ves" "Mandaric" or Yaqui". I suspect the subject line of your post brough the Serotta fans out of the woodwork. Write a post on Yaqui and see what you get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not be happier w/my new CXII CS. Custom is definitely the way to go. The steel they use is also very light w/ a very plush ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Herbert will chime in here, but...

ABG can and will do custom, they have been doing it for a very long time, even for some triathlete turned pro road racer who's initials are LA. ;-) They probably build more custom bikes in a year than most of the other manufacturers (frame builders) combined. They may start with stock tubes, but they also have a plethora of tubes to choose from. I think IronZ06 has a custom blade made with the down tube of a Vortex as his top tube or something like that. They have the experience, skill, tools, resources, etc. to do anything you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan recently made a comment that some of the steel framed tri-bikes he made with QR would beat a lot of the aero frames made today.

Remember, Rex, Steelman and Curtlo will make custom frames for a lot less than your price range. Even a Waterford would be less, I think.

Lastly, I would bet that a beam bike would fit even you. Email Titanflex and SoftRide. I love my Rocket TT7.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't you guys mean Serotto?

;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get a Sachs. I gladly wait 6 months; try 40+ right now!

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing. Serotta is a great frame/bike builder. They make great bikes. They know a lot about building custom bikes. BUT, their expertise is primarily, if not exclusively, in building road bikes. They can build your bike to any geometry you ask for, but you need to know what to ask for. Companies like ABG, Guru, Yaqui have been much more focused on the triathlon market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. No complaints about the bike itself. It has done 5 IM's and several halfs in the last two years well, with a few AG podiums.

But...that bike is waay overpriced for what you get.

Custom? I have yet to see any serotta or other "custom" bike that is dramatically different in dimensions than a "stock" bike. I have measured 4 different CXII's, from 4 fairly different body shapes, and each one of them has a 76.5 degree seat tube angle. The dimensions of my bike are about the same as a stick frame. They just make up the "custom" part by seat post height and stem length. Think about it (or read slowman's articles on tri bike geometry), they can't change basic ratios without throwing the handling off. So what you get with a "custom" bike is really a builder who has a few more frame sizes, than getting a bike frame that is unique to you.

net-net: spend some time researching and you will get a better deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serotta makes beautiful bikes, and is well known for their craftsmanship. But, as pointed out earlier in this thread, the bulk of their expertise is in building road bikes. Ves was the original welder when Dan founded QR. More than any other builder, he knows Ves geometry.

When I approached Ves to build my Yaqui, I asked for a lugged 853 frame with DE geometry. He told me that he couldn't manipulate the lugs to those angles, but that he'd gladly TIG weld me a steel tri bike. OR, I could go Scandium. I'd never been a big alu fan before, but Ves convinced me that the Scandium tubeset had all the best properties that I loved about steel, and more, and at a lighter weight. After going back and forth a lot, I finally put my faith in the builder and went with his recommendations - Scandium with a carbon rear. I wanted round tubes over aero anyway, which just so happenned to be his preference (stiffer, lighter).

I really don't think that you would be unhappy if you went with the Serotta - but I do believe that you'll be truly ecstatic if you go with a Yaqui.

On a non-materials note, you know that thread about tri bikes being twitchy? Ves doesn't make twitchy bikes.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tri bike (Serotta)? [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shredder,

I ride a Serotta CXIIcs as my time trial bike. It is two years old now. I purchased my first Serotta in 1999. It was a csi road bike.

I was surprised how light the CXIIcs is. It is a solid and comfortable ride, but exceedingly fast. I recommend you stay away from this brand and model (you could be serious competition on one).

Besides, you'd fall in love with it on the first ride.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Aug 28, 05 11:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next