Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Howdy all,

I know Dan's mentioned being psyched about a gravel tri, perhaps even putting one on himself. Welp, no need to wait. Buddy of mine just announced this yesterday:

https://www.withoutlimits.co/...-lake-triathlon-ju-1

And if you don't like swimming, there's SUP options as well.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty excited about the growth of gravel tri. Although Colorado is a bit too far for me from Indianapolis. I'm planning to go for the new gravel race in Mi. I've done Grand Rapids Tri that is run by the same RD. So, it should be a great event.

https://thedirtymitten.com/

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an awesome URL

I don't know how i feel about that short bike course (no turns!)

Super cool to see more of these springing up.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was planning to race the Olympic(ish) distance. So, should be a nice lap. I haven't ever done the Gravel rides up there but it's the same area as Barry Roubaix. 31 miles of gravel might actually feel more like a 70.3 bike leg than Olympic. I love the idea of not having to worry about traffic during these gravel races.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
That's an awesome URL

I don't know how i feel about that short bike course (no turns!)

Super cool to see more of these springing up.

I’m actually one of the race directors for The Dirty Mitten, happy to see that it’s starting to pop up on places like ST!

“The Shorty” was created for people who wanted to try something different and maybe see what this gravel stuff is all about. It’s purposely designed to be an easier course to make the event more accessible. If you want a challenge, “The Long One” is going to be an awesome bike course, and as TriRugby said, it will feature some of the same roads as Barry-Roubaix, which is the largest gravel race in the country (world?) and one of my all-time favorite races. In general that area is flat out awesome for gravel riding. I’m not concerned with hitting the traditional sprint/Olympic distances so we are basing the routes on what will provide the most fun. Of course the definition of fun is fairly subjective!

I don’t want to completely derail this thread so feel free to hit me up with a PM with any questions or if there’s anything I can do to entice you to come out and give us a try (no pun intended).

I’m stoked to see there are other gravel tris popping up and am going to reach out to the folks at Mile High Multisport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wish they did it closer to Denver. That's a long drive for a not so long race :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah crap! I wish I had known about this a week ago - I just signed up for SBT GRVL a few weeks later. Two trips to Steamboat in a month would be a bit much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Howdy all,

I know Dan's mentioned being psyched about a gravel tri, perhaps even putting one on himself. Welp, no need to wait. Buddy of mine just announced this yesterday:

https://www.withoutlimits.co/...-lake-triathlon-ju-1

And if you don't like swimming, there's SUP options as well.

I'm considering buying a gravel bike just because Lance announced this race

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon [JMosey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMosey wrote:
I’m actually one of the race directors for The Dirty Mitten, happy to see that it’s starting to pop up on places like ST!
for the record, I'm originally from TC :)

JMosey wrote:
I’m not concerned with hitting the traditional sprint/Olympic distances so we are basing the routes on what will provide the most fun.
i personally hate the myopia that the participating public has around distances needing to be precisely "X". Like most things, people are unable to parse nuance 🤦‍♂️

JMosey wrote:
I’m stoked to see there are other gravel tris popping up and am going to reach out to the folks at Mile High Multisport.
You mean Without Limits? :)

Quote Reply
Re: Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiiiiiit, there are a LOT of other reasons to have one anyway!!!

Sure you can hit the Roubaix course on your road bike but there's a fair amount of fun stuff up in the hills that a gravel rig makes for a dream to ride. I used to ride most of it on my S1 with 25s and it was a tricky challenge that only got HEAPS more fun when i got the gravel rig and way better wheels/tires.

Tho not sure how much training vs adventuring you might be into :)

Quote Reply
Re: Steamboat Springs Gravel Triathlon [JMosey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMosey wrote:
If you want a challenge, “The Long One” is going to be an awesome bike course, and as TriRugby said, it will feature some of the same roads as Barry-Roubaix, which is the largest gravel race in the country (world?) and one of my all-time favorite races. In general that area is flat out awesome for gravel riding.

Please tell me there is a Sager Rd. style section to add character to the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just added both the Stagecoach Gravel Tri and the Dirty Mittens to the Slowtwitch Race Calendar.
Now go have some fun!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply