Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Staying in Kona
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I am looking for some accommodation tips/questions answered for my first time qualifying for Kona this year and would really appreciate the opinions from people that have been there before:

Is it worth spending a lot more money on accomodations to be closer to the race site (seems like everything is centered around the Courtyard by Marriott resort)? I have been looking at Airbnbs, and it seems like I can get a really good deal (200 to 300 dollars less per night) on places closer to the Kona airport - will this just ruin my experience of being at Kona? And logistically is it feasible to be able to drive in for events/check-in/race-day/etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: Staying in Kona [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Hi everyone, I am looking for some accommodation tips/questions answered for my first time qualifying for Kona this year and would really appreciate the opinions from people that have been there before:

Is it worth spending a lot more money on accomodations to be closer to the race site (seems like everything is centered around the Courtyard by Marriott resort)? I have been looking at Airbnbs, and it seems like I can get a really good deal (200 to 300 dollars less per night) on places closer to the Kona airport - will this just ruin my experience of being at Kona? And logistically is it feasible to be able to drive in for events/check-in/race-day/etc.?

Drop me a PM, I have 4 condos (1-bedroom) on hold and will have at least 1 that I will not book. It is less than 1/2 mile from the pier on Ali'i Dr.. If interested I can transfer them over to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be worth e-mailing or calling Uncle Billy's. Online they said there wasn't any availability, but by e-mailing I got a place about two weeks ago. Pretty reasonable ($200ish a night) and close to the pier.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to experience Kona week there is a ton going on. Staying in town is well worth it unless your are the type that wants to avoid the activity and just show up on race day.

I had trouble finding something vrbo or airbnb. Everybody seemed to be unofficially reserving their units for people that return every year. I contact about about 10 places without any luck. I finally contacted a rental broker (konavacations.com) and they were able to find me something close to town for a reasonable rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d recommend somewhere relatively close in, we stayed 3 miles out along Ali’i Drive and it was perfect, a short ride to the pier and not too expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we stayed at kona reef..2bed/2bath condo. maybe a little over a mile from the pier...we loved it and thought that the distance was just right for me and my family. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a dump, but I like to stay at Uncle Billy's because it is close to everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Staying in Kona [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still available?
Quote Reply
Re: Staying in Kona [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM the guy above! There are so few options right now.

Is this a family affair, solo?

We are staying right at the finish, if you have family you really want to stay close, driving is really not an option on race day.

Get there early and enjoy the moment!

PS swim everyday and get use to the warm salty water
Quote Reply