Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade?
Quote | Reply
Got a $120 fluid trainer from Nashbar

approx 750 hours over the past 1.5 years

Happy with what I have

Don’t use a cyclocomputer. Or cadence

Don’t have Zwift or trainer road or anything like that. Use my phone to keep track of how much time.

Any significant reasons to upgrade.

Or if it ain’t broke don’t fix it
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 28, 19 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upgrade. Wheel off smart trainer is a game changer. If you're doing that much indoor riding it's a no brainer. Already using Zwift or Trainer Road? It makes those way more enjoyable too
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I don’t use those

Updated first post

When you say game changer

What exactly changes? Better feel?

Faster in races?

QuAlity if workouts?

I also have rollers I use approx 8 hours a month
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 28, 19 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is tons of information on here on this topic. But, I'll bite and give you 2 reasons NOT to upgrade because I will be in the extremely small minority in giving this advice. My advice assumes you have a powermeter on your bike, though. First, money. Second, at least for wheel-on smart trainers, the ride quality sucks compared to a fluid trainer (at least for the models I compared). It was so bad, I went back to dumb, fluid trainer after trying a smart trainer. To put this in perspective, I am not a highly trained or very discerning rider. So, if I'm noticing poorer ride quality, then it is VERY distinguishable. And, to get a wheel-off trainer, the cost is substantial. Now, let others convince you why you should upgrade. Heck, one of these years, I will do so myself.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 28, 19 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are happy watching black and white TV you will never know what you are missing if you buy one that's in color. If you don't mind spending more, then upgrade to a smart trainer and get a subscription to Rouvy. Be warned that you might kick yourself for not having done this sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If you are happy watching black and white TV you will never know what you are missing if you buy one that's in color. If you don't mind spending more, then upgrade to a smart trainer and get a subscription to Rouvy. Be warned that you might kick yourself for not having done this sooner.

Thank you for the insight

I’m not sure if I’m That Guy or not.

Started using an indoor turbo trainer back around 1984 for the winters up north.

Put thousands of hours in it no music, no TV bike computer etc

Never owned a watch or bike computer
Not much of. Tech guy

Worked many years doing factory line work so am able to do simple task for literally hours on end and not get bored

Fortunately cost is not a concern

I guess my question is will I be faster in races

I think it’s my form of meditation. Still get anxious and excited the day before I’m going to do an4 hour ride inside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not training to power targets, then I would not change anything.

If you have the budget and interested in leaping your indoor training effectiveness forward, I would do it. I went from a Kirt Kinetic Road Machine to a Wahoo KICKR to now a Tacx Neo 2. I am hugely glad I did. The smart trainer is not a miracle worker-- I got to pretty solid power on the dumb trainer. However, it makes your workouts far more efficient and impactful. The change is that I do not have to hyper-focus on hitting the interval targets. The trainer simply does that for me no matter how fast or slow I may pedal. When I was getting fatigued or feeling weak on the old dumb trainer, I could slack off. On my current rig, I have to force myself to comply and I do hit the numbers. The mental and physical strengths that creates are huge.

However, if you are looking for performance improvement tools, I highly recommend subscribing to one of the mainstream programs like Sufferfest, TrainerRoad, Zwift, etc. Those will drive improvement far more effectively than the type of trainer. The type of trainer is just an enhancement tool that makes executing against one of the training programs better.
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
There is tons of information on here on this topic. But, I'll bite and give you 2 reasons NOT to upgrade because I will be in the extremely small minority in giving this advice. My advice assumes you have a powermeter on your bike, though. First, money. Second, at least for wheel-on smart trainers, the ride quality sucks compared to a fluid trainer (at least for the models I compared). It was so bad, I went back to dumb, fluid trainer after trying a smart trainer. To put this in perspective, I am not a highly trained or very discerning rider. So, if I'm noticing poorer ride quality, then it is VERY distinguishable. And, to get a wheel-off trainer, the cost is substantial. Now, let others convince you why you should upgrade. Heck, one of these years, I will do so myself.

See I think I might be like you

I hear people say how they can feel the difference between two different tires

I literally have gone between two different bikes and could barely feel any difference

I’m thinking I could easily spend $1200 and be disappointed. Is it true you don’t shift on wheel off trainers?

Also that they set the difficulty according to what the workout says?

Or is that erg mode I’ve heard of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride quality from a direct drive trainer is 1,000 times better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your goals? Are you racing or trying to get stronger/faster. How do you workout on your trainer?

If you’re interested in getting stronger and faster or trying something new I recommend trying a trial on TrainerRoad. You can do virtual training where you get a cadence meter for about $50. You then use the app and type in your trainer model and they have figured out the power curves for different trainers so you can do the workouts on a “ dumb trainer” and it works really well.

Feel free to directly message me with your email and I can send you a free trial month(all members on TR accrue ability to give away free months and I’ve got 3). I used a dumb trainer for a year or so on TR and swore I would never pay for a smart trainer. But after a year on TR I did and I really like it. I got an elite direto for about $799 or so and I’ve loved it.

I’d recommend just trying virtual training first and then if you like it upgrade to a smart trainer later
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
For wheel-on smart trainers, the ride quality sucks compared to a fluid trainer (at least for the models I compared).
I totally agree. I thought that my Kurt Kinetic was the gold standard for awesome-feeling ride quality. It feels massively better than both the Wahoo KICKR and Tacx Neo 2.
MrTri123 wrote:
Is it true you don’t shift on wheel off trainers?

Also that they set the difficulty according to what the workout says?

Or is that erg mode I’ve heard of
Yes, you generally do not shift on smart trainers, but that is because you are jumping into a wholly different approach to training. This is ERG mode in which the training program sets a target power level, and the trainer dynamically changes its resistance so that you are pedaling to that power. This maintains the power level independently from your gearing and cadence.

The other variant is that you do shift gears on simulated rides, such as Zwift. In ride simulations, Zwift will change the trainer's resistance based on riding up a virtual mountain. In that case, you would respond by downshifting just like you would on a real hill. Then, when you go downhill, it will reduce resistance (and with the Tacx Neo, the trainer can actually spin the freewheel as if you were coasting down a hill).
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW-Tri, I'll see your fluid trainier, and up the ante with my dinosaur spin bike :) I took my old spin bike, and drilled some holes here and there, and was able to get its set-up identical to my tri bike. I even added some cheap clip-on aero bars, and an old Adamo split saddle. I shoe goo'ed a Garmin speed sensor to the wheel, and added a cadence sensor, so I get some usable data and something to plaster on Strava. I STILL haven't rode any of the new fangled trainers at the LBS that I would trade my old rig for. I train by feel and have never used a power meter. I have a smart TV, that keeps me endlessly entertained. I train about 90% of my mileage on it, only getting outdoors on the weekend, and for races. Since my return to tris, I've ran 8 local tris in the last 2 years, have won my age group in all of them, and won 3 overall, so I cannot deny that training on an old spin bike, works very well.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [Bigvern777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:
What are your goals? Are you racing or trying to get stronger/faster. How do you workout on your trainer?

If you’re interested in getting stronger and faster or trying something new I recommend trying a trial on TrainerRoad. You can do virtual training where you get a cadence meter for about $50. You then use the app and type in your trainer model and they have figured out the power curves for different trainers so you can do the workouts on a “ dumb trainer” and it works really well.

Feel free to directly message me with your email and I can send you a free trial month(all members on TR accrue ability to give away free months and I’ve got 3). I used a dumb trainer for a year or so on TR and swore I would never pay for a smart trainer. But after a year on TR I did and I really like it. I got an elite direto for about $799 or so and I’ve loved it.

I’d recommend just trying virtual training first and then if you like it upgrade to a smart trainer later

Message sent

Thank you
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
What happens if you can't keep up with the power setting in erg mode? Does the trainer stop?
You go into a death spiral-- it is really pretty awful. In general, if you have a good training program and did a good FTP test, the workouts will be well-indexed to what you are capable of. But, there are those times when you just aren't feeling it. So, when you cannot maintain power, you will naturally slow your cadence, when this happens, the trainer will dynamically jack up the resistance as your cadence slows. It reaches a point where you cannot turn the pedals and stop. All the programs and trainers will relax the resistance when you stop so that you can restart.

That has happened to me a few times, and I simply lower the overall % intensity of the training program to complete the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just like you. I spin, watch Netflix and love it! I wouldn't change anything. I strictly go by "if it ain’t broke don’t fix it ", and it's been working just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really is a personal preference thing. You can get faster on your existing trainer. It's how you make use of your time on the trainer that counts. Some sort of structured training helps. Others have mentioned trainerroad, zwift, rouvy, etc. All can help. But you can also follow a written out plan where you can do intervals based on HR or RPE. It's just that using a smart trainer with some of the structured programs like TR and Zwift force you in to holding power for the intervals. Another reply mentioned using TR with virtual power (speed and cadence sensors and your existing trainer). That's an inexpensive option and it might be something you're more than happy with.
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [Bigvern777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:

I wholeheartedly concur. I started that way, then took it one more level by buying a used power meter; a Powertap G2 wheelset, $200, which I've gotten two good years of indoor and outdoor use out of. I'm still getting all I want out of a dumb fluid trainer and TrainerRoad, not seeing the need to upgrade trainers or add a Zwift subscription.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Start with a dumb trainer but “smart” training platform like tr. A smart trainer makes it easier in some respects- no need to check tire pressure or contact with the rear wheel. And you can compare you power numbers with others more accurately. But a smart trainer isn’t necessary. The most budget way would be to continue with dumb trainer and then get a power meter in your bike like a pedal based power meter. Then you can use it on the road too.

It’s all about your goals and budget. After a year I got a smart trainer but it’s not necessary. And you don’t have to spend $1200. They are coming down in price. My elite direto is awesome and I think retails at $799. I think I got on sale for about $700 and been using for 1.5 years and no issues and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the biggest difference I see

Riding the trainer is training for an outdoor sport

But with a smart trainer and Zwift or other application

Riding the trainer becomes its own sport

You can compare your times on uphill segments

You can participate in races

And with the smart trainer you feel different crank loads

Such as grinding a steep hill or spinning fast on the flats

So if you would enjoy those things it would be worth it

But if you just want to get in the work, you don't need it
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it is training for an outdoor sport. What I primarily love is being outside and riding my bike and running and swimming.

But I have 2 young boys and a full time
Job. So after work and the boys are asleep I go to my garage and work out on the trainer. And I look forward to my planned mountain bike trips with buddies a couple times a year and some races.

But structured training with a platform like TR is different than sitting on a trainer.

To each his own but if you haven’t tried it you should...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bite the bullet and get a direct drive smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Just bite the bullet and get a direct drive smart trainer.

^This, but the bullet might not be that scary with how much time you may spend on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stay with dumb trainer or upgrade? [Blackbeard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an old wheel on dumb trainer for some time and couldn't get into it. Bought a spin bike- same problem. When I got the Kickr in January and started using TrainerRoad it was truly a game changer. I realized I wasn't optimizing my workouts at all. I've gone from an FTP of 190 to 232 last month... and watched my resting heart rate go down about 8 points. It's the only time I've ever been able to commit to regular work inside and stay consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a $99 XMAS sale trainer from Performance. Just a mag trainer. I refuse to ride much indoors unless it is unusually harsh outside (which it was last winter). I think I hit an all time high last winter with close to 20 rides inside all winter. I'll bundle up with everything I have to ride in 30 F weather--just to avoid the trainer. It works (although narrow/unstable), never use the handle bar gear-tension adjuster (it lays on the floor). My shifters do all the tension I need. Save the $$ and buy some good winter cycling clothes instead. Thermal bibs & jacks, base layers, good gloves--it'll save you $$ too. Although, some folks enjoy sitting watching a TV screen. Enjoy your indoor riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next