Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stationary bikes <= ADVICE needed
Quote | Reply
For years, I had a stationary bike that I bought used from a bankrupt local gym. It wasn't fancy, and it wasn't pretty, but it worked for my purposes -- which was mostly to provide a way of doing base training without having to lug my road or tri-bike upstairs to our home gym. I used it to train for two iron distance events, and it worked well for me.

I replaced that bike in June 2019 with a "commercial" quality home-use exercise bike from a well-known manufacturer. After ten months, I had to replace the flywheel (under warranty) because of a manufacturing defect. After six more months, the bearings failed (sadly, not under warranty). I had a friend -- who's been fabricating custom road and mountain bike frames for 25 years -- evaluate the bike, and his take was "wow, there's way too much slop for these bearings to ever NOT fail." He also commented that the bearings were very poor quality parts to begin with.

So, I'm now in the market for a replacement. I've read reviews of "smart bikes", and I think they're overkill for my purposes. I just want something that: (i) can be adjusted to roughly approximate the riding position of my tri-bike; (ii) has a belt drive (so it's quiet and doesn't require maintenance); (iii) can accommodate clip-on aero bars; (iv) can be used with road/tri bike pedals and saddles; and (v) is built with quality components that can withstand the heat that builds up from long workouts and will last for years.

I don't need (and don't think I want): connectivity to mobile phone or tablet-based applications; to collect performance or fitness data from my workouts; to ride with others in a virtual environment; USB ports; or fancy electronics or anything else. I just want to be able to control the resistance in relatively fine increments and ride. I'm hoping that some of you can share your experience with stationary bikes and offer up some insights for what I ought to buy.

Thanks,
Christopher from Oregon
Last edited by: Oyster7: Jan 11, 21 19:13
Quote Reply