Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM
Quote | Reply
i wish swimfan posted this - great article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2149867/?GT1=8592

here is the summary paragraph:

In many ways, the slow marathon is the perfect event for the American athletic sensibility. Just finishing a marathon is akin to joining a gym and then putzing around on the stationary bike. We feel good about creating the appearance of accomplishment, yet aren't willing to sacrifice for true gains. It's clear now that anyone can finish a marathon. Maybe it's time we raise our standards to see who can run one.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right!

Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to complete an IM!!!
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [TriJeffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idiot can run a marathon

problem is the lack of the actual "running" part

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. Seriously, I'm always torn by this. In one respect, anything that gets us fat Americans of the couch is a good thing. On the other hand I really resented it when someone who walk/jogs to a 6-1/2 hour finish implied that his/her or achievement was just as valid as mine back in the day when I was training 75 - 80 miles/week.

The other thing that bothers me is the load this has put on the volunteers. Some "walker friendly marathons" keep the course open for 8 hours. Is this fair to the folks who donate their time?
Last edited by: TriJeffTri: Sep 26, 06 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is ridiculous. My wife will never be a fast runner. She just doesn't have it in her. However, she's trained her ass off (alone) and she's done a lot more than "putz around the stationary bike." But, there's still no guarantee she won't have to walk a little.

You bitter idiots need to get a life and move on. If her presence doesn't negatively affect you (other than having to run around her on bike paths during training runs), then move on and shut the f up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article is hilarious! I LOVE IT.
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[b]However, she's trained her ass off[/b]

There's the difference. I have zero problems with your wife because she treated the distance with the respect it deserves. The author's point had to do with the dilletantes who do a marathon to check it off a list.

I'd be honored to run with your wife.
Last edited by: TriJeffTri: Sep 26, 06 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you and your wife didn't like this classic line:

The marathon has transformed from an elite athletic contest to something closer to sky diving or visiting the Grand Canyon.

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article still has it wrong. It's not whether you can RUN one or not, it's whether you can RACE one or not.

Anyone can finish a "marathon". Most people who do at least some training can run a "marathon". But a true marathon is a race, and very few people are running at 2-5% below LT - race pace for a marathon. That's the standard, not if you can finish without walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Today, the great majority of marathon runners set out simply to finish."

And we're supposed to take this writer seriously?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [TriJeffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that is what the author is saying. He is clearly unhappy with the fact that "the great majority of marathon runners set out simply to finish." Seriously, this guy is so bitter he implies that using tech fabrics is for poseurs:

"Running was once a purist's sport—you needed only to lace up your shoes and hop out the door. No longer. During a recent run in Central Park, I dodged groups of marathon trainees festooned with heart-rate monitors and space-age breathable fabrics that looked like they'd emerged from some NASA lab."

Trust me, if all he had implied was that those who do not train shouldn't enter, I'd be writing him a letter of support. His article was pompous and elitist, but worst of all, could discourage someone like my wife from even trying (fortunately, she's bigger than this fool).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what, people walk during part of the marathon. If completing the thing gets them in shape and helps them live a healthier lifestyle...great.

As for the 'dilletantes' who want to check it off their list.....shit, i have several achievements I want to complete in my life....some of which are IM's, marathons, etc.

Man, some people are so fucking elitist.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is going over the top being a purist. While I wear my elitist-prick badge proudly, I've run 15 more marathons than he has and the petty shit doesn't bother me.

A lot of times with stuff like this you gotta realize the guy is tossing bombs just to see what kind of reaction he'll get.

I just used this as a forum to vent about people who don't train.....unlike your wife. :-)
Last edited by: TriJeffTri: Sep 26, 06 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Man, some people are so fucking elitist."

Totally agree!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, it is nonsense to complain about people who are not running marathons fast enough. Further, I am sure that lots of the same people who complain about it have found themselves walking during a race. I say the more people willing to run marathons the better. Certainly better to slog through a slow marathon than sit on the couch. To equate what most people put into preparing for a marathon and visiting the grand canyon or joining a gym and sitting on a stationary bike is asinine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]A lot of times with stuff like this you gotta realize the guy is tossing bombs just to see what kind of reaction he'll get.[/reply]

Yeah, I know and I'm mad at myself for reacting. Clearly I had a little venting in me that needed to be done, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I agree. Also, since we are now throwing around new "words": I'd wager he sounds more like a "purist" than an "elitist" - a fine line perhaps, but he is also a writer and looking for just what we are doing right now.

I for one would prefere to see anyone out there, even the walking division (can you imagine walking 26.2 miles! No small feat in itself) than the typical overweight couch potato I see at the local amusement parks when I'm with my kids. You aren't racing them anyway and in no way dilutes the race. Yes, the average times will go up, but so what!?

Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a copy of something I posted a while ago.

"Thought this was really interesting. Looks like sub 3 hours puts you in the top 1.5% of all marathoners. Mean time for all runners is 4:45:47, 4:32:08 for Men, and 5:06:08 for Women. I was surprised that these numbers were not lower."

http://www.marathonguide.com/...005RecapOverview.cfm

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" This is ridiculous. My wife will never be a fast runner. She just doesn't have it in her."

I hear this often from people when talking about racing. They say things like "I could never run a marathon without walking." or "I could never do 8 minute miles for a 5K." because they don't have it in them. For the majority of them, it is not their physical limitations that are holding them back. If you can't imagine doing it, you won't.
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really complaining about waddlers in a marathon - they don't affect the racers much (except for watering down a great event, which is no biggie). What many object to, and I'm one of them, is people who somehow manage to move forward for 26 miles then say they've finished a "marathon". Nope. A marathon is a race. If you aren't racing, then run simple ran or walked 26 miles. It may not matter to some, but it matters to most who race this thing. Don't equate waddling with racing - it disrespects the event and the racer. It's a completely different event for those who race. Elitest? Probably, but I really don't give a shit because it's most likely the truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the entire article, and while I acknowledge many of the author's points, I strongly disagree with the conclusions drawn in the summary paragraph you quoted.

If you finish a marathon, even slowly, you HAVE accomplished something. "Creating the appearance of accomplishment" is bullshit. Upon whose authority does the author decide whose 26.2 miles is an "accomplishment" and whose isn't? Is there a cutoff time? Boston qualifying, maybe? If that's the case, then I haven't "accomplished" jack.

Also filled with crapitude is the comparison to "joining a gym and then putzing around on the stationary bike." I think that the overwhelming majority of participants in any marathon have trained, have prepared, and have achieved a higher level of fitness. Joining a gym and REGISTERING for a marathon might be comparable, but joining a gym and COMPLETING a marathon are not. Not even close. Not even for people that walk the whole thing.

And "yet [we] aren't willing to sacrifice for true gains." Oh please. Define "true" gains. For all this author's athletic "accomplishments" (six marathons that s/he cared to mention), I'm sure there are hundreds of marathoners that could smoke his/her ass. Climb down off your pedestal already, you ain't that good.

"It's clear now that anyone CAN finish a marathon" (my emphasis). Yeah, but most inhabitants of this planet still never have and never will. Don't forget that the original marathoner, Pheidippides, ran the distance - actually only 21 miles - and then dropped dead. What a wimp!

In the introduction, the author states that "this growing army of giddy marathon rookies is so irksome that I'm about ready to retire my racing shoes and pick up bridge." Please do. Go home and get fat.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She may very well run the marathon without walking. Then again she may not.

I agreee that many people let their heads get in the way of what's actually possible. However, some people are clearly not born with the "fast gene." That doesn't mean she can't go out there and kick ass (however, she measures that).
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [VM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, by that logic, I didn't "finish" IMMOO? My parents will be so bummed that they flew out from Ca to see me not finish. I'm sure they thought when I crossed the finish line that I had actually "finished." Little did they know...
Last edited by: Gator1736: Sep 26, 06 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: State of the marathon - a shot across the bow for IM [VM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really complaining about waddlers in a marathon - they don't affect the racers much (except for watering down a great event, which is no biggie). What many object to, and I'm one of them, is people who somehow manage to move forward for 26 miles then say they've finished a "marathon". Nope. A marathon is a race. If you aren't racing, then run simple ran or walked 26 miles.

Historically speaking, you're completely wrong.

Care to dig up the origin of the Marathon? Here's a hint - it wasn't a race.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article is a pretty good description of how 80% of triathletes approach the swim portion of any given triathlon so what's the issue ? ;-)

There is no degree of amateurness. We are all amateurs (99% of us are anyway). And, by definition, amateurs are really just hobbyists. Sure some are more serious than others but, if a legitimate line is going to be drawn, 99% of us are on the wrong side. If you are not cashing a check after the race, we are all in the same big boat; just doing this stuff for fun and personally enjoyment.

IMHO, anyone who signs up for an event, shows up and finishes, no matter how they do it, deserves some respect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next