Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Starting Knowing You Will DNF
Quote | Reply
So I've been training for my third triathlon and unfortunately I've run into some Achilles issues. It all started when the elevator @ work broke and I had to walk down 30 flights of stairs. The pain and tenderness didn't even come from training/running - annoying to say the least.

I have an olympic distance tri coming up in 10 days and my achilles is still a bit sore and tender. I haven't been running on it, just biking and swimming. I saw a doctor and he said if I feel good I should do the complete race. That being said I know how sensitive achilles issues can be and I'm thinking since I can't get a refund (only 50% off next year's race) that worst case I will just do the swim and the bike. This sounds easy, but I feel like it may be soul crushing to be out there and not actually finish the race. I'm more of a newb, so wanted to see what everyone's experience was with an injury leading up to a race. Should I just cancel or is it worth it to start the race knowing you won't be able to finish the third leg?

Would love any thoughts / suggestions. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
So I've been training for my third triathlon and unfortunately I've run into some Achilles issues. It all started when the elevator @ work broke and I had to walk down 30 flights of stairs. The pain and tenderness didn't even come from training/running - annoying to say the least.

I have an olympic distance tri coming up in 10 days and my achilles is still a bit sore and tender. I haven't been running on it, just biking and swimming. I saw a doctor and he said if I feel good I should do the complete race. That being said I know how sensitive achilles issues can be and I'm thinking since I can't get a refund (only 50% off next year's race) that worst case I will just do the swim and the bike. This sounds easy, but I feel like it may be soul crushing to be out there and not actually finish the race. I'm more of a newb, so wanted to see what everyone's experience was with an injury leading up to a race. Should I just cancel or is it worth it to start the race knowing you won't be able to finish the third leg?

Do it. At worst it's recon for next year. It won't be soul-crushing, it's a hobby. Don't eat the 50%. I once switched to aqua-bike for a similar issue because (a) no refund and (b) I really wanted to do the bike course. Practice is never a bad thing, rock what you can, and move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it your A race? Can you afford to be more in pain post race without blowing up anything?
If yes then do the Tri but first mile on the run you have to be ruthless about being honest to yourself and if the pains remains a 3/10 then keep pushing...

The exact same thing happened to me at Steelhead 2w ago. Coach told me to run “only if I felt fantastic” off the bike. I wasn’t but the pain was a 2/10 and I finished the race at 4/5 out of ten. Now I’m working big time on physio 2x a week to recover ASAP until my next race in September.

Otherwise just pull out and register for another race with the refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just manage your expectations and get the best out of the day.

Swim like you're being chased by a shark.

Bike like you're in a 40k TT and you don't even have to run afterwards :)

Then go cheer everyone on at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this about 15 years ago when I signed up for a one-and-done sprint triathlon to encourage a good friend of mine. Right after we signed up, I broke my foot and was in a boot for like 6 weeks. All I could do was swim. I got the boot off 2 days before the race. I went anyway, and had a good swim. Bike was mediocre. I pulled out of the run after about 100 yards because my foot did not feel perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Is it your A race? Can you afford to be more in pain post race without blowing up anything?
If yes then do the Tri but first mile on the run you have to be ruthless about being honest to yourself and if the pains remains a 3/10 then keep pushing...

The exact same thing happened to me at Steelhead 2w ago. Coach told me to run “only if I felt fantastic” off the bike. I wasn’t but the pain was a 2/10 and I finished the race at 4/5 out of ten. Now I’m working big time on physio 2x a week to recover ASAP until my next race in September.

Yeah this is my main race of the year. I may do one in mid-Sept which should give me time to recover. Mostly worried about really messing up my achilles / rupture given all the crazy stuff I've read on this forum haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
tamiii wrote:

Yeah this is my main race of the year. I may do one in mid-Sept which should give me time to recover. Mostly worried about really messing up my achilles / rupture given all the crazy stuff I've read on this forum haha.

I vote for the aforementioned aquathlon but then walk the run, smile have fun and cheer like hell. It’s only 6 miles and you won’t feel the defeat of quitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with rhe other folks who say go smash the swim and bike. All still good experience.
Depending on how good or bad your achilles, is either leave the run shoes at home so you don't go and break yourself. Or just put them on and enjoy a nice walk to the finish.

I know plenty of folks who have taken both these routes. Needs must, live for another day etc.
I'd feel better doing 2/3 or a walk than a DNS.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People do this all the time. A fast local guy just swim and bike in 70.3 earlier this year due to foot injury. He crushed a local race last month although he's not at 100%. I noticed he's been swimming way more than before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's no big deal to DNF. Yes I realize there is a whole crowd on ST that is death before DNF which imo is ridiculous.

I've had to do this before, DNF. It's no big deal. Last year at Tempe 70.3 I did the S/B & ran out of T2 just to cross the timing mat and let everyone know I was in the top 8 or so overall, then pulled the plug bc that was as far as I could run.

Like others have said just go S/B it and go home. You can try to lay down a monster bike split if you want really go and see if you can hold it or blow up. If you do that I would ride the first half a touch harder, ~ 5w higher then crush the back half of the bike.

Hope you heal up quickly!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it. The race experience is still worthwhile unless the S/B will create a more permanent injury. I broke my foot 3 weeks before Kona last year and hobbled to the finish line in a 5+ hour marathon. I went in with the expectation that I would 50/50 DNF. Just tried my best to crush the swim and bike (which I didn't succeed at, anyway). Still glad I started.

4 years ago, I developed a tibial stress fracture and still did the Swim & Bike in Austria 70.3 WC. I tried to jog/walk the half marathon but couldn't continue after 4 miles so had to DNF. Still one of the coolest courses I have ever done and no regrets at all.

newtryguy101 wrote:

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do exercises for achilles tendon, those ones on the stairs.
When the achilles warms up (during biking, or after some running) the pain often fades. While that isn't a good recovery strategy, there's a reasonable chance you can race well on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of people start knowing they will DNF, as an official I've seen it regularly (I'm more shocked at a race if nobody does it, rather than when people do it). If you can, Swim Bike Walk, is an option, but SB DNF is fine if you can't switch to an auqabike, and would rather not just write off the whole event...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer two questions honestly for yourself:
  1. Does it really not hurt when you swim and/or bike?
  2. Can you really trust yourself to stop after the bike?

My thoughts.
  1. If you have any pain at all when you swim and bike, that's your body telling you to shut it down. Rest, come back healthy next year, and eat the 50%. Otherwise, you risk years of achilles woes.
  2. If you can really trust yourself to tap out after the bike and there's no pain, then do it and DNF. As the others have said, go out and crush it into all the way into T2. I did this twice nursing some calf soreness during an IM block. Once, I just did the swim in an Olympic. The second time, I did the swim and looped the bike course in a Sprint until they closed it. However, I knew me and I knew to not even put running shoes in T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I have the unpopular opinion here but if you have no intention to finish the race, why get in the way of others who have goals for the day whether that is to PR, qualify for something or simply cross the finish line?
I tore my Achilles 2 weeks before IM Boulder last year. Like many here have suggested I was planning to swim and bike. In the days that followed, it was apparent that biking was out at the risk of a complete tear. Then I considered doing the swim right up to the day before the race when I finally realized how selfish that would be of me to potentially hinder another athlete that was planning to cross that finish line. With a lot more financially on the line with $0 refund or deferment, I got a nice $800 Ironman Backpack out of it and wristband that allowed me full access on race day to cheer on one of my teammates. I get it, it's a tough pill to swallow given the amount of hours we train just to test for a few hours on race day but at the same time, so has everyone else toeing the line with the intention to finish. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
I guess I have the unpopular opinion here but if you have no intention to finish the race, why get in the way of others who have goals for the day whether that is to PR, qualify for something or simply cross the finish line?
I tore my Achilles 2 weeks before IM Boulder last year. Like many here have suggested I was planning to swim and bike. In the days that followed, it was apparent that biking was out at the risk of a complete tear. Then I considered doing the swim right up to the day before the race when I finally realized how selfish that would be of me to potentially hinder another athlete that was planning to cross that finish line. With a lot more financially on the line with $0 refund or deferment, I got a nice $800 Ironman Backpack out of it and wristband that allowed me full access on race day to cheer on one of my teammates. I get it, it's a tough pill to swallow given the amount of hours we train just to test for a few hours on race day but at the same time, so has everyone else toeing the line with the intention to finish. YMMV

You probably got in the way of someone when you used your $800 wristband to get into the transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with others. Swim, bike, cross timing mat to run start, DNF, and then cheer everyone on at the finish line. This is supposed to be fun. Make it fun and enjoy the experience! You'll know more about the course next year. I haven't DNF'd at a tri before but have a few times at a local running race that runs by my sisters house at mile 9 for both the half and full marathon. I think at least twice and maybe 3 times (over 10+ years!) I've showed up underprepared for the distance I signed up for and just turned the race into a 9 mile fun run that ends in a coffee stop at sisters house. I don't feel bad for doing so at all and even just joke with friends that I won my age group in the 9 mile race,...then watch them rack their brains wondering if they missed a 9 mile option!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
switch to aquabike. Achilles injuries take forever. That's what I had to do 2 years ago at a local sprint.

PSA: doctors and PT did nothing for my achilles for 6 months. I started foam rolling the shit out of it and it was fixed in 2 weeks flat, 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
You probably got in the way of someone when you used your $800 wristband to get into the transition area.

Perhaps.

How long can I go before cutting off said wristband?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go right ahead.
Its not a bad thing. Blame the race for not having an aquabike division.

Come marathon season in NYC, there are all these long "races" that are supported loops of central park. Id be stunned if 50% of the field finished. DNF means you don't get a medal... thats it. Starting a race with plans to DNF is totally fine. I'd say you owe an explanation to exactly no one.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - you guys are all awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
switch to aquabike. Achilles injuries take forever. That's what I had to do 2 years ago at a local sprint.

PSA: doctors and PT did nothing for my achilles for 6 months. I started foam rolling the shit out of it and it was fixed in 2 weeks flat, 100%.

You foam rolled your actual achilles ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquabike it. Resist the temptation in T2 to "see how the run goes" (don't bring your running shoes to transition).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Knowing You Will DNF [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every race should have an aquabike division...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some KT Tape on it. You can buy the tape usually at a local drugstore. Or get an equivalent tape. You can YouTube how to apply it. It's worked really well for me in the past with my Achilles issues. Doesn't actually fix the Achilles but it allows me to train and race on it without pain when I'm taped up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next