Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got it and agree to a point. AC has the lead by 8 seconds. I bet his bike handling versus AS was worth double that today. Did you watch AS's aero "tuck". Horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny to watch triathletes argue over this one. Did we see the lead women all pull over and wait for Chrissie in Kona when she flatted a few years back. How about for Normann when he couldn't get the tire off his wheel, maybe the entire men's pro field should have pulled over and helped him out. How many of you have stopped while a competitor who was leading the bike flatted or dropped his chain? It was bad timing, but ultimately it is our own responsibility to have our bike in good working order. In this case, the team mechanic. Maybe it was a bad adjustment, maybe it was just bad luck, who knows. Easy for us to call foul from the sidelines, but we don't know what was happening, especially in the heat of battle after 12miles of climbing. It's a race, it happens!

Daryl
http://www.advantagemultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quotes from Robbie Hunter on Twitter: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quotes from Robbie Hunter on Twitter:
Quote:

"Not so sure that was the best thing to do by Contador,keep going.. I know Andy started the attack but his chain fell off twice would have been better if Contador waited.. "

"From a person who rides in the peleton..Contador should have waited,had he waited everybody would have waited..my opinion this was not cool!"

"If Contador had of waited he would have won the heart of the world like this he got a yellow jersey on his back.but its always gonna be a ?"

"If ppl say he never knew,I doubt it.He's got a radio and his Team mate Vino was on the wheel and saw it clearly..any ways just my opinion!"

"Last thoughts..if he never knew,he could have show remorse on the podium by not putting his hand in the air and celebrating..."

"STG3 Contador never had yellow.ppl it was totally different story..in the peleton if yellow has a problem u wait specially if its a person who can win the tour.. That's how we race!!!"
Last edited by: Gamecock Tri: Jul 19, 10 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, I got it and agree to a point. AC has the lead by 8 seconds. I bet his bike handling versus AS was worth double that today. Did you watch AS's aero "tuck". Horrible.

AC also had Sammy Sanchez to follow. Don't underestimate the value of following the line of an excellent descender...

Your aero tuck would be "horrible" too if you were all arms and legs like AS.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's what Barry Petchesky at deadspin.com had to say about today's stage:

http://deadspin.com/...manship-expectations

I haven't seen today's stage and was trying to avoid any seeing any results until I saw this headline screaming at me when made my once-every-two-months visit over to deadspin. So I read what Barry said then read through most of this post. I have no problem with AC dropping the hammer. The biggest bike race of the year is on the line. When it's time to go, you go.

He lost me at "I pay attention to cycling precisely once a year..."

Fail.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not saying that what AC did was unfair, just that AC must have known about the chain drop. Anyhow, a chain drop isn't really a mechanical...it's the rider's fault...

Yet AC admitted AS had a "mechanical" (quoted because that was exactly what he said) on his interview on Versus.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Bham Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny to watch triathletes argue over this one. Did we see the lead women all pull over and wait for Chrissie in Kona when she flatted a few years back. How about for Normann when he couldn't get the tire off his wheel, maybe the entire men's pro field should have pulled over and helped him out. How many of you have stopped while a competitor who was leading the bike flatted or dropped his chain? It was bad timing, but ultimately it is our own responsibility to have our bike in good working order. In this case, the team mechanic. Maybe it was a bad adjustment, maybe it was just bad luck, who knows. Easy for us to call foul from the sidelines, but we don't know what was happening, especially in the heat of battle after 12miles of climbing. It's a race, it happens!

You do realize you are talking about a different sport right? You might as well make a comparison to football.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you Francois.

I would also like to point out that the majority of the time gained was on the decent. 18 seconds at the top of the climb isn't indicative of Contador setting the pace on fire. It probably took 18 seconds for AS to get his chain back on. I think some people feel AC should have stopped alongside Schleck today.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Bham Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

In soccer you stop play if a player on the other team is injured by putting the ball out of bounds. Should a triathlete stop for another to get treatment for an injury?

You see how stupid that sounds comparing two different sports with different histories and traditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Doitagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contador would've clearly seen the chain drop if he would've utilized Hawk-Eye like tennis players do.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not the point because they were not in yellow at the time. You are not suppose to attack if the yellow jersey is down.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all of this said, I will admit that in practice it is pretty much impossible not to take advantage of these types of situations in bike racing.

A few months ago, I was in a two man break in a crit. The guy I was with dug a pedal and almost went down. I was on the front, heard the commotion, and I attacked, held him off and went on to solo in for the win. I felt a little bad about it, but at the same time "that's bike racing".

The irony is that if he just crashed, then he could have gotten back in behind me on the next lap; "that's bike racing" too.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Just saw the stage live and to me it looked like AS attacked AC because he was trapped in (dick move?) and Vino started chasing him. Then AC reacts and do a counter attack, AS is still on his bike and i donīt think anyone looks at the chain as you pass. Small road and lots of people. Then AC hears on the radio that AS have problem and slows down, you can see him riding and looking back all the way to the top pedaling as fast as possible to gain the most, knowing that Andy had a dropped chain. When he AC can see that AS is riding again he continues to ride. I think AC did the right thing, he could have put a lot more time on AS but did not have the power to go even faster [didn't].] You canīt expect the riders to wait for each other all the time since you only got a few stages to make a difference and i think itīs fair AS lost some time because this "mechanical" is probably his own fault.

Fixed that for you ;-)

Sergio

Thanks, but it was already perfect ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [JustinD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's different when the yellow jersey goes down because the yellow jersey is attacking and the yellow jersey makes a mistake withing 2k of the final climb. To sit up means you basically call off the stage for the leaders. Even the yellow jersey does not garner that much deference.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I would also like to point out that the majority of the time gained was on the decent. 18 seconds at the top of the climb isn't indicative of Contador setting the pace on fire. It probably took 18 seconds for AS to get his chain back on. I think some people feel AC should have stopped alongside Schleck today.

According to Velo News, A. Schleck was only 13 seconds behind at the top.

It looked like it might have taken more than 18 seconds for him to get the chain back on. (He needed two tries.)

It didn't appear that Contador, Menchov, and Sanchez (especially Contador) were going as hard as possible until they went over the crest of the climb. (They did drill it on the descent.) How long were they supposed to wait?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Contador would've clearly seen the chain drop if he would've utilized Hawk-Eye like tennis players do.

Obviously this was just a case of the Saxo Bank Bike Motor mis-firing! Imagine if the motor properly engaged the drivetrain. Schleck would have put 3 minutes into Contador!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The swedish commentators said that he (AS) lost 40 sek b/c he lost his chain. If AC had 18 sek on the top it means he slowed down so AS got 22 sek back...
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

According to Velo News, A. Schleck was only 13 seconds behind at the top.

It looked like it might have taken more than 18 seconds for him to get the chain back on. (He needed two tries.)

It didn't appear that Contador, Menchov, and Sanchez (especially Contador) were going as hard as possible until they went over the crest of the climb. (They did drill it on the descent.) How long were they supposed to wait?

Based on recent history, until he was back in the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually blame Cancellara for this whole thing. If he had made the selection, he could've just neutralized the stage after Schleck had a mechanical.

I heard Cancellara was already maneuvering to neutralize the final TT for Schleck as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's different when the yellow jersey goes down because the yellow jersey is attacking and the yellow jersey makes a mistake withing 2k of the final climb. To sit up means you basically call off the stage for the leaders. Even the yellow jersey does not garner that much deference.

Tell me how Andy made a mistake? Take a look at the stage and you will notice that Andy wasn't shifting when the chain came off. Something very strange happened and it was not the fault of Andy.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Just saw the stage live and to me it looked like AS attacked AC because he was trapped in (dick move?) and Vino started chasing him. Then AC reacts and do a counter attack, AS is still on his bike and i donīt think anyone looks at the chain as you pass. Small road and lots of people. Then AC hears on the radio that AS have problem and slows down, you can see him riding and looking back all the way to the top. When he AC can see that AS is riding again he continues to ride. I think AC did the right thing, he could have put a lot more time on AS but didnīt. You canīt expect the riders to wait for each other all the time since you only got a few stages to make a difference and i think itīs fair AS lost some time because this "mechanical" is probably his own fault.

EXACTLY. Well observed.

Attacking your rival because he isn't in proper position is a dick move. You can't be serious.

Watch the replay there is no shifting when the mechanical happens. This was not Andy's fault. Andy was almost to a complete stop when Alberto passed him, so there is no way that Alberto didn't know that there wasn't a problem. Alberto should have waited for Andy to return to the group and not return to riding. That was a classless move by Alberto and the rest of the riders in his group.

I wrote that as a JOKE since on ST, everything AC does is a dick move and everything everybody else does is great tactics :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Precisely. Contador didn't 'attack', he just didn't stop. Any time a man on a bike stops and everyone keeps going there will be time loss. Not sure why people don't get this. Like I said, apparently people think Contador should have stopped and waited. Had Contador 'attacked' he would have had a minute and a half by the top of climb, especially if it took 40 seconds for Schleck to get his chain on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From LA's interview:

"It is better to wait but this is different now because it was the last climb of the race and the race is on. I don’t want to make a hard judgment without having seen the images,” he concluded.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [JustinD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's not the point because they were not in yellow at the time. You are not suppose to attack if the yellow jersey is down.

Assuming you are referring to Stage 3, was it OK for Saxo Bank (Cancellara with A. Schleck) to attack Chavanel who was in the yellow jersey when Chavanel had his three flat tires?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh no....

FWIW, (and as you say, not much around here), I agree with you and Carl.
Quote Reply

Prev Next