Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, Contador said that he really didn't know Shleck had a mechanical, and that he was constantly checking behind to see where AS was. When he heard AS had had a mechanical, it was too late and the race was on (dixit l'Equipe).
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SCHLEK DID NOT LOSE THE YELLOW BECAUSE AC ATTACKED HIM ON THE CLIMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AC only had 13 seconds at the summit - FS would still have been in Yellow. Andy lost it because he can't descend. End of story. I wish AC would have waited and put the screws to him on the descent instead, but unless AC wins the tour by less than 13 seconds that attack won't ultimately control the outcome. The descent however, may play a major role.

You're flat out dead wrong. They finish together if they go over the top together. They put time into Schleck, b/c they had 4-5 guys pushing the pace. If Schleck is in that group, he doesn't get dropped.

No way Schlek stays with them on that descent. He lost over half a minute doing EVERYTHING he could to catch up. Contador was on the front of that downhill train for a good part of it too.

You are wrong. First, the descent wouldn't have been as fast anyway, if they were all together. Second, the benefit of following others' lines and drafting off them would be more than enough for AS to stay with the group.

Was this the first bike race you have ever watched?

Ha, you obviously haven't taken may 50mph twisty descents before. I have. Drafting, my ignorant friend, is far less important than bike handling. If you think AC got 30 seconds from drafting on a downhill like that I suggest you take your aerobars off and ride a real bike for a change.

We get it. You have huge balls.

Your irrelevent 'mad descending skillz' aside, it's still a moot point. Andy shouldn't have been put that position in the first place. I agree that he's not a great descender, but if you watched the stage today, he did well for himself and took a lot of risks. JVB was working hard to stick on him - and he's normally a much better bike handler. The top was moderately technical, but then it straightened out for quite awhile. Over 20 kilometers, drafting makes a difference on any descent, and especially today on the lower parts of the descent. Having Sammy Sanchez's line (unanimously one of the best descenders in the business) to follow on the technical portion isn't so bad either.

Quote | Reply
Contador = Punk

He attacked first and the others followed his lead. If he had class and was a leader he would have had everyone slow down and wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For what it's worth, Contador said that he really didn't know Shleck had a mechanical, and that he was constantly checking behind to see where AS was. When he heard AS had had a mechanical, it was too late and the race was on (dixit l'Equipe).

Do you believe that? I think you posted that you saw the replay. I don't buy it.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [BenLeese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure anyone is going to win the wait/no-wait debate.

Having said that Andy should not have been in that position in the first place. He seems to be the strongest, but lacks confidence. To many games. When his last domestique moved off the front, he should have gone and not looked back, kept the hammer down till the top. If he had chain problems lower down the slope, more likely all would have come back together. It's like he is marking AC till the time trial and then we all know what is going to happen then. In retrospect, this may be the best thing to happen to Andy. "Anger in the belly", how long where you going to wait to unleash the beast?
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever. Shocking however that so many of you think AC should have waited for a guy who needs 30 seconds to put a freaking chain on, and probably a chain dropped by a mis-timed shift. This is all on Schlek, and as Liggett says there is no reason to wait for anyone within the last 20K of a race. None.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Mike Lamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really know. From the replay it's hard to say...I mean, watching that comfortably in a chair, it's hard to say. But when you're the one hammering things appear different.

Moreover, why not believe him? There are a lot of folks on this forum who have believed things a lot more unbelievable than AC not noticing... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like everyone forgot AS attacked first.

AC - hey man, what happened? Your chain dropped when you attacked me?

AS - yeah man, that sucks

AC - OK, I'll wait. You want to replay it?

AS - sure, thanks man.

Geeee...it's a fucking race...Bad luck for Shleck? Yes, of course. Poor form? BS...I guess everyone on this forum did buy the Lance media machine, saying AC was a bad sport. What a load of crap.

You must really hate Lance to bring him into this discussion. Kind of like the people blaming Bush for the oil spill. Contador = Punk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come AC didn't just descend away from the Schleck brothers last year on stage 17 in the final descent into Le Grand-Bornand?

http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/28172&gvsm=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Remains to be seen if it'll make a difference but should AC have waited? I say absolutely - trying to ride away after AS had him on the ropes was poor form

Yup, just like Andy should have told Fabian to hold off on the cobbles of Stage 3 when Contador had a broken rear wheel and rode the last 30km to lose 41 seconds...?

Shit happens. Andy dropped his chain... rookie move.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [trigolt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't hate Lance. But I like seeing how some here like to label people who disagree 'haters' right away.
Most folks here started following cycling in 99 (or 2000). And know pretty much nothing about cycling, aside from the comments of Liggett and Sherwen, who happen to really lack any insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my impression he was going to wait until Menchov and Sanchez took off.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Whatever. Shocking however that so many of you think AC should have waited for a guy who needs 30 seconds to put a freaking chain on, and probably a chain dropped by a mis-timed shift. This is all on Schlek, and as Liggett says there is no reason to wait for anyone within the last 20K of a race. None.

Wait, I thought he lost the time because of the descent, not because of the mechanical. Which is it?

And there's a difference between stopping (no one is arguing he should've stopped) and not attacking.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How come AC didn't just descend away from the Schleck brothers last year on stage 17 in the final descent into Le Grand-Bornand?

http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/28172&gvsm=1

My god this is really getting dumb. Who was in yellow genius? Any reason for him to take risks and ride away from people who were BEHIND him. And you jokers call me noob. Triathletes. Geesh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no pity for someone who doesn't ride with a chain watcher.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can debate this indefinitely, but the bottom line is, none of us are professional bike racers, and I think we may need to defer to their sentiments on this - which I imagine will also be divided. Ligget, as entertaining as he is, was not a professional bike racer. Interesting that Sherwin, who was, disagreed with AC's move.

I was watching Eurosport and Sean Kelly said without hesitation that it was unequivocally the wrong thing to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see comments from the current peleton on. We already saw how the French fans felt about it...

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Looks like everyone forgot AS attacked first.

AC - hey man, what happened? Your chain dropped when you attacked me?

AS - yeah man, that sucks

AC - OK, I'll wait. You want to replay it?

AS - sure, thanks man.

Geeee...it's a fucking race...Bad luck for Shleck? Yes, of course. Poor form? BS...I guess everyone on this forum did buy the Lance media machine, saying AC was a bad sport. What a load of crap.

You must really hate Lance to bring him into this discussion. Kind of like the people blaming Bush for the oil spill. Contador = Punk

You must be new here...its his agenda in all cycling related posts. For the past 9yrs or so its been the same:

1. Demean Lance.
2. Tell american's they don't know cycling (strawman argument to reinforce point 1)
3. Defend/elevate Condator (or other great non-american rider at the time or historical cycling figures) while taking snide shots at Lance.
4. Insult VS coverage and preach that real cyclists watch an international feed all the while quoting Ligget and Sherwin (also making point 1 easier).
5. Demean Lance.

I can probably write his posts for him if he wants to give me his password. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We can debate this indefinitely, but the bottom line is, none of us are professional bike racers, and I think we may need to defer to their sentiments on this - which I imagine will also be divided. Ligget, as entertaining as he is, was not a professional bike racer. Interesting that Sherwin, who was, disagreed with AC's move.

I was watching Eurosport and Sean Kelly said without hesitation that it was unequivocally the wrong thing to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see comments from the current peleton on. We already saw how the French fans felt about it...

And in my first post I also said it would have been better if he had waited. Even Contador didn't think it was the right thing to do if you listen to his comments after. He said he sat up after he found out (which is clearly an admission that sitting up was the right thing to do. But, fact remains. Andy really doesn't descend worth a shit. And he really rode like a complete pussy the last two days. He attacks with so little mountain left that even if AC counters he would have a hard time getting yellow, yet knowing all along he will only have 2 stages left to put time into AC that he needs come the final TT. Does AS really believe he can TT. He TT's as well as he puts his chain on. He's not riding to win the TDF despite what he says. He's riding to hold the yellow as long as he can. He rode like a pussy yesterday and today.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just saw the stage live and to me it looked like AS attacked AC because he was trapped in (dick move?) and Vino started chasing him. Then AC reacts and do a counter attack, AS is still on his bike and i donīt think anyone looks at the chain as you pass. Small road and lots of people. Then AC hears on the radio that AS have problem and slows down, you can see him riding and looking back all the way to the top pedaling as fast as possible to gain the most, knowing that Andy had a dropped chain. When he AC can see that AS is riding again he continues to ride. I think AC did the right thing, he could have put a lot more time on AS but did not have the power to go even faster [didn't].] You canīt expect the riders to wait for each other all the time since you only got a few stages to make a difference and i think itīs fair AS lost some time because this "mechanical" is probably his own fault.

Fixed that for you ;-)

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't hate Lance. But I like seeing how some here like to label people who disagree 'haters' right away.
Most folks here started following cycling in 99 (or 2000). And know pretty much nothing about cycling, aside from the comments of Liggett and Sherwen, who happen to really lack any insight.

Well, I can disagree with what AC did and it has nothing to do with LA. That's all I'm saying. In a sport historically full of dopers (ie, cheaters), it's interesting that they typically don't attack someone having a bio break or mechanical failure. This is one area where the group normally has class and ethics and it's an unwritten law that this type of thing is not done. In a way, you could say that what AC did was worse than doping. They all look the other way regarding doping but an act like this could stain AC forever in the eyes of his fellow riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that Voekler was putting time into the Saxo-led peloton. AC doesn't need to go. Schlek does. But he waits to within 2 miles of the summit to attack? Even if he gets away he still gets caught on the downhill. Schlek was riding not to lose the yellow, not to win the tour. He will need a lot more "anger in the belly" if he wants to win.

And do you guys really think being booed bothers AC???? He eats up the bad boy role. Look at how much it hurt him last year to be despised - he just takes out the pistols and annoys the shit out of everyone, and uses it to his advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS's post on twitter:

"I lost yellow today!shit happens but the race is not over yet!!!I be back!"

Anybody read or hear anything else from him on how he dropped his chain?

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They need to redo the Specialized ad with AC and AS....

AS: My bike drops chains.
AC: My bike drops the yellow jersey when he drops chains.

LOL!

Any comments from LA on this yet? LA should organize Radioshack to ride for Schleck now. Go Team Radioschleck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moreover, why not believe him? There are a lot of folks on this forum who have believed things a lot more unbelievable than AC not noticing... ;-)

AS says he wouldn't have attacked and you dismiss that out of hand but you believe AC?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, How was Schlecks interview in French? The English on was great, he was pissed. Said he couldn't wait to get revenge. Had he calmed down when speaking to European reporters?
Quote Reply

Prev Next