Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why didnt people wait for Chavanel when he was in yellow with issues?

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is AC's comments about what happened and how he would do it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOJLuePexs
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my perspective as a road racer who raced the majority of my fifteen year career on FRICTION SHIFTERS MOUNTED TO THE DOWNTUBE- Andy needs to man up and take responsibility for blowing his jump and shift. AC was absolutely right to drill it at that point- after all, he was attacked! WTF? Wait for some idiot who blows his attack because he doesn't know his bike and can't even put his damn chain back on?

If I had a nickle for every top ten position lost in a race when someone blew a shift (friction) at the bottom of a climb or the start of a sprint I coulda invented indexed shifters myself and turned those nickles into millions. Shesh.

"Wait up guys- I suck at operating my bicycle and can't tell my chain from my chainring."

Bike racing isn't just watts/kg- It's tactics, it's pacing, it's luck and yes, knowing how to expertly operate your bicycle. If Andy is pissed at anyone, it should be at himself for throwing his chain.

The good news- now THAT'S entertainment. Can't wait for tomorrow and the final Tourmalet day.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing that is quite funny is that they were like 15 guys in the group and i think only AC and Vino was in front of As when he stopped and got off his bike. The rest just rode past him when he stands in the middle of the road and one of these guys is Lance. If there is a code, shouldn´t all of them have been waiting, especially those coming from behind that with no doubt knew he was in trouble.

Maybe Lance didn´t see him b/c he was thinking of all class acts he has done and will be doing ;-)
Last edited by: Jocke: Jul 19, 10 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw lance give him a push when he was coming back through the carnage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He wasn't shifting. He was trying to operate the gruber assist he borrowed from Fabian, but the thing vibrated (it doesn't vibrate with FC because he is heavier) and caused the chain to drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I still question when AS says, "I wouldnt have attacked like that", yet he jumped on Fabian's wheel when the stage 3 attack went and he even acknowledged it in his post race comments:

"The prologue went badly, yesterday I fell three times, but it was hard for everybody. Today we knew that we could change that. I was well placed on Fabian Cancellara's wheel. I rode flat out with him and I made good gains."

Here is Chavanel's comments:

Sylvain Chavanel was disappointed to lose the yellow jersey due to mechanical trouble. "There was that crash that made my chain come off, and then I was the victim of two punctures," he said. "As I didn't have the legs, it became very difficult [to get back on].

If they are going to race to some "code", I guess to me they should stick to the code, while not having these variables with the code.

A question for the bike mechanics/others; if it wasnt a shifting issue that everyone seems to suggest it wasnt, than would he have needed a bike exchange (ppl suggested it was a "mechanical" issue)? It seems he simply dropped his change because didnt he just get the chain back on(although a trouble time at it) and continue?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Jul 19, 10 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [ostomyathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This situation is not too unlike when Lance popped out of his pedal twice in a short sequence in a previous tour on a similar climb. IIRC, Lance stated at the end of the stage his pedal was indeed broken. No one stopped for him then. They didn't even slow down. He just got up with the fire in his belly and rode himself back into the pack. The difference is he could. Apparently AS couldn't today.

No comment on the overall AS vs. AC discussion, but you're citation is just wrong. The stage you're talking about is the SAME one where Lance went down due to the hooked bag. It was while he was trying to get back to the lead group that he popped out of his pedal a couple of times. Tyler Hamilton was at the front aggressively waving the others in the lead group down until Lance caught up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The important thing to take from all this is that I already got an e-mail from competitivecyclist.com advertising chain catchers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is the new Specialized commercial with AS/AC fighting in that email as well?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So is the new Specialized commercial with AS/AC fighting in that email as well?

2011 Specialized commerical:
Andy: I can drop you on a climb.
Alberto: I can shift without dropping a chain.
Andy: (lowers head in silence)
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The important thing to take from all this is that I already got an e-mail from competitivecyclist.com advertising chain catchers.

Ha! Yes, I got mine at 1:27pm Central time. They are quick!
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1bka0AR-o

(not that funny but someone beat you to it)

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2011 Specialized commerical:
Andy: I can drop you on a climb.
Alberto: I can shift without dropping a chain.
Andy: (lowers head in silence)

That would be funny!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not in the sport long enough to know all those unspoken codes or what not, but did i miss something? It IS a race right? I don't see race car drivers wait when somebody has a mechanical, they drive pass with a smile. Why wait for a mis-shift and drop chain? Especially when he's the one that attacked and then fall flat on his face. What's next? i don't feel good today, this stage doesn't count? Suck is up and move on. Sounds like a sour looser to me.

It's easy to sit here and said AC should wait, but honestly, how many of us here will wait for the one leading you in a tri with a drop chain, and then pass him again later, when you're racing for the win? You pass right by and say tough luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It always happens to me. I guess it has to do with my braking all the time, because images of tires flatting and forks snapping arrive constantly as soon as the speed reaches 50mph.

That's because you've lost your bottle, man.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Trash Talk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You go faster when drunk?
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
This situation is not too unlike when Lance popped out of his pedal twice in a short sequence in a previous tour on a similar climb. IIRC, Lance stated at the end of the stage his pedal was indeed broken. No one stopped for him then. They didn't even slow down. He just got up with the fire in his belly and rode himself back into the pack. The difference is he could. Apparently AS couldn't today.

No comment on the overall AS vs. AC discussion, but you're citation is just wrong. The stage you're talking about is the SAME one where Lance went down due to the hooked bag. It was while he was trying to get back to the lead group that he popped out of his pedal a couple of times. Tyler Hamilton was at the front aggressively waving the others in the lead group down until Lance caught up.

I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Another thing that is quite funny is that they were like 15 guys in the group and i think only AC and Vino was in front of As when he stopped and got off his bike. The rest just rode past him when he stands in the middle of the road and one of these guys is Lance. If there is a code, shouldn´t all of them have been waiting, especially those coming from behind that with no doubt knew he was in trouble.

Maybe Lance didn´t see him b/c he was thinking of all class acts he has done and will be doing ;-)

Waiting for him doesn't mean stopping and standing on the side of the road. It means not attack and riding tempo until he catches up to the group he was in before the mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is AC's comments about what happened and how he would do it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOJLuePexs

This video message is perhaps better then the post race interviews. The translation is not perfect, but he does say "... maybe I did a mistake, I am sorry".

One thing is for sure, this will not weaken but make Andy stronger. It is going to be a very interesting stage tomorrow.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the GC guys get attacked by AS, he drops his chain and the whole of the GC guys (or atleast the guys in the select group) are suppose to ride tempo til AS gets his chain back on?

Andy Schleck himself that having a dropped chain is what it is and is part of cycling (which is very similiar to what we heard from riding on the pave in terms of being allowed to attack riders on the pave).

From Cyclingnews:

Although it seemed as if Schleck had his mechanical when he switched gears, the now former yellow jersey said he didn't know what happened. "I don't know the reason, I only know that I dropped the chain," said Schleck. "I wasn't happy, of course. It is how it is. That's cycling.

Like I said, there sure seems to be holes in this "code" of attacking the yellow. Which is fine, just seems hard to justify one without taking into consideration the other. I get that you dont attack the yellow or take advantage of others due to mechanical/crashes, but if your not suppose to do that, than have it like that for clean across the board.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: bad929: Jul 19, 10 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow,it is his fault? Not a mechanical? How do you practice not dropping a chain, if it is not making sure it is mechanicly set right? So you just ride around shifting crazily to train not to drop a chain? Is it like training not to have flats.?
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, don't say that. You can like him or not but don't say that. I wouldn't wish you a car accident, even though I disagree with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So the GC guys get attacked by AS, he drops his chain and the whole of the GC guys (or atleast the guys in the select group) are suppose to ride tempo til AS gets his chain back on?

Andy Schleck himself that having a dropped chain is what it is and is part of cycling (which is very similiar to what we heard from riding on the pave in terms of being allowed to attack riders on the pave).

From Cyclingnews:

Although it seemed as if Schleck had his mechanical when he switched gears, the now former yellow jersey said he didn't know what happened. "I don't know the reason, I only know that I dropped the chain," said Schleck. "I wasn't happy, of course. It is how it is. That's cycling.

Like I said, there sure seems to be holes in this "code" of attacking the yellow. Which is fine, just seems hard to justify one without taking into consideration the other. I get that you dont attack the yellow or take advantage of others due to mechanical/crashes, but if your not suppose to do that, than have it like that for clean across the board.

In 03 when Lance caught the musette bag he was attacking the group and that group waited for him to rejoin the group. Lance caused the crash by riding too close to the spectators, but Jan et all waited. If Contador wins it will be tainted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your act, and others, in this thread is really pretty tiresome. Its possible for people to not like or agree with Contador's actions without being Lance lovers or to be brainwashed by the so-called Lance media machine. You were the first one to bring Lance up in this thread, and just keep playing that same tune. Based on the jeers of the crowd when Contador got the yellow jersey, plenty of folks in France think Contador was wrong; are they all Lance lovers / AC haters, too?

Spot

Prev Next