Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St George - Strength of Field
Quote | Reply
Debating coming to the US to race the full in St George. Course looks beautiful and surround area great for a vacation.

Main question is how stacked will the field be? Appreciate this is very subjective question and as it's a Championship event, would definitely expect a lot of talent to be out there, but trying to gauge our chances of nabbing a slot. Course looks like it suits both my wife (35-40) and myself (40-45).

Our only previous experience of a Championship event is having done S.Africa multiple times and if we were fit and raced well we would fully expect to be in the mix for a slot there (not AG winning, but def' at the pointy ended of the pack). Our only experience of N.American races is Kona and we're def' not FOP there. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also any advise as to where to stay would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: St George - Strength of Field [tonto1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't really speak to how stacked the field will be for the full next year, but I can tell you it's been pretty stacked for the half in past years. Although it's been the pro championship so not sure that really reflects on the AG championship status of the forthcoming race.

I can tell you though that my wife and I fell in love with St. George and that's why I'm coming back do the full. It's a great area in the west US and you can hit up Las Vegas and a ton of national parks too.

You may consider staying here https://coralspringsresort.com it's not cheap but might be worth it. There are also lots of hotels in town if you want to be closer to the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impossible to say for sure but just like you, other fast people select the championship races for the extra slots. Also, the stronger athletes are attracted to the beautiful destination races with tough courses, so stg has the double whammy for potential competitiveness. The one north American champs I raced in was IMTX where I raced in m40-44. I think we had 12 slots but you had to be around 9:20 or faster to get one.

Edit: I've done the 70.3 twice and love it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 29, 19 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75 Kona slots, field will be one of the strongest of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everybody that is intent on qualifying, but has not already done so, asks this same question. I suspect the result is that it becomes even more difficult than at a normal 40 slot race to qualify.

I’d make this decision based on how well the course suits your s/b/r capabilities. If you are less than enthused, pick a better fit.

I expect a lot of fast Europeans attend this race. StG has a good rep with prominent European pros, and it has been publicized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are typically a borderline KQ athlete at races, St George will be no different.

Do the race that suits your strengths and gets you the most excited. And then let the chips fall where they fall.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping the competition is deserving of the North American Championship. It is a challenging course and the weather always makes it more so.
No participant list yet, so no idea how it will turn out.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply