Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. George and 1X?
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m looking to do this race next year, and hoping to get some good feedback.

I went to 1X this year and Iā€™m really happy with it...BUT...I live and ride in Texas šŸ˜Š.

Iā€™m using a 50/32 combo...could I get through that bike course with that setup? Or is that going to be too tough?

Also...I have spent a week training in boulder...and ridden peak to peak there...would that be similar?

Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTP? Race weight? Preferred cadence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While in Boulder, did you by chance ride LeftHand canyon to Old Stage? Because the climb at St George is VERY similar to that.
Starts mellow, then kicks up at the end.

Itā€™s doable, if you donā€™t mind a lower cadence.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???
210/165/not sure...Iā€™m not a high cadence guy,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
???

I used 32 at Wildflower a few years back with 162.5mm. I didn't have a problem but I have no idea what it feels like to climb at 210. I was a 150-155 at the time. If you are grinder I think you would be fine.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be running a 50/28.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
zooropa wrote:
???

I used 32 at Wildflower a few years back with 162.5mm. I didn't have a problem but I have no idea what it feels like to climb at 210. I was a 150-155 at the time. If you are grinder I think you would be fine.

The post I was replying to asked for ā€œftp/race weight/cadenceā€...so I donā€™t weigh 210 šŸ˜Š. I race around 162-165...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2, 160 and had pretty decent shape headed into St. George, but snow park canyon is legit. I was spinning pretty low for most of the climb, but near the top that last mile or so will most likely require you to burn some matches out of the saddle to get to the descent.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that...we are pretty close in size/weight...do that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding a 50 up front, if you're on the 32 in back it's pretty much equivalent to riding right between 34/21 and 34/23 on a compact crank. You should be fine. If you're overly concerned you can jump to SRAM's 11-36, which riding in the 50/36 is near identical to riding 34/25, the typical bailout gear of a tri bike with a compact crank.

I've got the 11-36 on my 1x IA with a 50 up front. No shame here, I'm a spinner when it comes to going up.

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0, 160+/-2lbs. I just looked at the last .8 miles of snow canyon and I pushed 220W with a 36x28 to go just under 7mph. Cadence was 68 RPM. Hope those numbers help since we are similar size. I may also have been a few lbs heavier at that race.

There were definitely quite a few people walking (or stopped) as well.
Last edited by: bearlyfinish: Aug 10, 18 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info...thanks...I do have the medium cage...so I can go to 36...forgot about that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can handle the uphill fairly easily - it's the downhill where you might wish you had bigger gears. There are a few long / gradual descents (in addition to the big one after Snow) and it's nice to be able to push a 53/11 for the few extra mph's you lost going uphill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Great info...thanks...I do have the medium cage...so I can go to 36...forgot about that

I thought I would come back and share, this morning was the first time I put the 36 to the test. My route had short steep climbs, we gained 2000 feet in 20 miles and max grade (did repeats) was 13%. Went totally fine in the 50-36. On my 4th time hitting that 13% I got out of my saddle, my average power and NP was high but I think thatā€™s just victim of this route. Feeling MUCH better now having put it to the test. Iā€™d say go climb some hills, in particular find a very hilly route, you might be surprised!

For reference Iā€™m 6ā€™6, 180lbs, 240 FTP.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 11, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I ask why would you run a 1x setup? Why not just use a double chainring setup. Weight on tri bikes is not the issue. Aerodynamics is your key when racing. If you want to drop about 484 grams because you want to go 1x, I would suggest using a double chainring ring setup and have a better cadence and hopefully the result that you want. If you feel 1x is a better setup, then go that route. Your gears will be limited though.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George and 1X? [Violet13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Violet13 wrote:
Can I ask why would you run a 1x setup? Why not just use a double chainring setup. Weight on tri bikes is not the issue. Aerodynamics is your key when racing. If you want to drop about 484 grams because you want to go 1x, I would suggest using a double chainring ring setup and have a better cadence and hopefully the result that you want. If you feel 1x is a better setup, then go that route. Your gears will be limited though.

Sure, let me preface this by saying that I personally have not jumped on a wagon of one being better than the other, I think it has to do with the rider and personal preference. So while I will share why I like and prefer it *on my tri bike only, I won't argue your opinion or others about it.

My own experience, I like the simplicity. I have found in my own riding style, that I do not need a lot of the middle gears between the jumps, I have always ran with a wide range of cadence, usually averaging 80rpm in a middle / long distance race, and the minor cadence adjustment required on the 11-36 for the missing gears between jumps from 13 on seems to come natural to me (11, 12, 13 exist on this cassette like a normal 11-25). Also keep in mind running a standard 11-25 cassette, there is no cadence adjustment for me on a course that doesn't have any large climbs, my cassette is the same as most others and I'm likely gearing the exact same as you on a course where you don't leave your 50 tooth, so nothing lost. I also don't climb mountains on my tri bike, and the hilliest race I have in store is Louisville so 5000 gain give or take on rollers? It's a non issue to me.

I haven't dropped a chain once since I went 1x, this was a big problem for me on my previous compact. I've broken a front derailleur spring mid race before, and in Louisville 2016 my front der locked on me after dropping my chain for the 4th or 5th time on the day and I finished up the last 30 in my 50 tooth. Admittedly this is not typical, it's unfortunate equipment malfunction at the worst of times. But that did happen to me, so this is also not hypothetical worry. I always keep my train very clean, lubed, and cared for. I've had zero issues since the switch, just a minor rear adjustment required when switching cassette sizes or moving from my 808 to my disc otherwise it has performed flawlessly. I'm mechanical obviously, but for sake of conversation no dead batteries or electronic malfunctions possible on this setup. One shifter, 11 gears, X-sync lock on the chain.

In summary, it's comfort. It's refreshing to not drop a chain, I like how simple it is, and it has not affected my performance. I didn't drop it for aerodynamics or weight loss though arguably there is a smidge of that in removing a part of the bike, and now that I've shed the front der, the compact crank and 3 feet of cable, I'm soaking up that quarter of a second I just dropped off my 112 mile ride.

But anyone looking to shed weight for is usually better off having a glass of water instead of another beer, and taking 1lbs off the gut in oppose to shelling out $XXX bucks to move to 1x :)

For reference I still rock a compact on my road bike and plan to keep it that way. The n+1 gravel coming in this winter, that will be 1x.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 13, 18 8:30
Quote Reply