Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. Croix Experience
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience at St. Croix. I am registered and am trying to set some goals. I looked at last year's times and they are waaaaay slower than the times at other races I am familiar with (i.e., Eagleman, Duke 1/2 IM).

I've heard that the bike has a killer hill, but is the rest of the course really hilly (slow) as well? The run times are significantly slower as well. Is that hilly too? And last, but not least, the swim times are slower, which I can understand considering the lack of wetsuits. All of this considered, it sounds like a killer course.

Sorry for the ramble. My specific question is how much slower is the course? Compared to what? Are the slower times at all reflective of the fact that it is early in the season?

Any experience, war stories, guidence on this would be greatly appreciated.

-- joe
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doin it, but I know nothing about it except I think I got the sweet hotel hook-up at the Buccaneer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone told me prior to my race last year that St. Croix was similar to racing a 3/4 IM. That was good advice.

Last year during the swim the current and swells were against us going out and didn't seem to help much coming back. And the course may have been marked long.

The beast is only part of the story. And yes it's everything you have heard and then some! After the beast you have a nice recovery decent and then you will have about a 20 mile ride into the trade winds with big rolling hills. The hills weren't too bad but the wind was nasty. Top this off with tropical heat and a couple of showers along the way. Eagleman bike course is a cake walk when compared to St. Croix.

Run course is rolling with some step short climbs but very HOT particularly the loop around the Resort.
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Danimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Jihad in the Caribbean. I am so there. The only easy day was yesterday.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'll be there too and am also at the Buccaneer. I was hoping to get a qualifying slot to Hawaii but maybe I better reset my expectations as I won't see a training day over 50 degrees prior to the race. I can always pull off the run course at the Buccaneer for a Margarita.
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I'm just goin' for the SDF (same day finish).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be nice too.
Quote Reply
Re: St. Croix Experience [Danimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. BTW, I'll be at the buccaneer as well. Arriving late Wednesday evening, which should be me plenty of time to check out the course, and to spend a little qt with the wife as I finish off my taper.

See ya there!
Quote Reply