Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles?
Quote | Reply
I use Squirt on all my bikes and like it for many reasons (easy to apply, low friction, no smell, biodegradeable, etc). However, I have noticed that after riding on the trainer I end up with a ton of small black particles under the rear wheel, and I think it’s the dried Squirt. I can sweep or vacuum them up, but if I step on them they turn into a greasy smudge.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there an alternative that would be cleaner for riding inside while retaining some of the above qualities of Squirt?

Thanks!
Last edited by: brando: Oct 23, 18 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I experienced exactly this. It’s why I don’t use squirt on bikes that I use indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [rowancbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for confirming, what are you using instead?
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to to use Squirt as well. However, got tired of all the wax build up. Saw the same indoors. Stopped using it alltogether. Actually, wasn't really impressed by its "tough-conditions-capabilities". I race a lot Ultra-MTB.

These days I use Rock'n Roll Gold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem with Squirt lube. I’m going to switch back to Rock n Roll lube or something else because the wax build up is messy.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a change is in order for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I might give that a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, and I have stopped using Squirt a long time ago after the first week of indoor trainer sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the same nasty crud from Squirt Lube. I too switched back to Rock n' Roll Gold on everything ridden indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [DanN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DanN wrote:
I get the same nasty crud from Squirt Lube. I too switched back to Rock n' Roll Gold on everything ridden indoors.

For pure indoor riding, Rock n Roll Absolute Dry would be a better choice since it doesn't leave a sticky residue when dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't noticed this to be a problem. Are you all wiping down the exterior of the chain when you apply Squirt? I hit every link then work it in by spinning the cranks in both directions for 20-30sec, then finish by running the chanin through a rag. That removes an excess on the outside of the chain but still leaves a thin film. The only time I get any noticible particles is the first couple rides after a full re-wax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a dry wax lube, meaning it's completely compatible with a waxed chain?

RichardL wrote:

For pure indoor riding, Rock n Roll Absolute Dry would be a better choice since it doesn't leave a sticky residue when dry.
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's say it's more compatible with a waxed chain than RnR Gold or Extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Let's say it's more compatible with a waxed chain than RnR Gold or Extreme.

I’d prefer to use the gold/extreme instead of the red.

For those who have switched from wax+squirt back to RnR did you clean the squirt off?

Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Squirt lube on trainer: messy particles? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I haven't noticed this to be a problem. Are you all wiping down the exterior of the chain when you apply Squirt? I hit every link then work it in by spinning the cranks in both directions for 20-30sec, then finish by running the chanin through a rag. That removes an excess on the outside of the chain but still leaves a thin film. The only time I get any noticible particles is the first couple rides after a full re-wax.

I do the same, but I give it a couple of hours after applying before wiping the chain down. The jockey wheels tend to get crudied up with the goop, so it’s not just the outside of the chain causing it.
Quote Reply