Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spy Screw -- you wear them?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have anything good to say about these cycling glasses?
Quote Reply
Re: Spy Screw -- you wear them? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a pair for about 4 - 6 weeks now. No complaints at all. I bought the "Commando Kit" which came with an extra lens. I have an irridium blue for bright days (I think Spy calls it "cobalt") and the smoke/brown for medium days (which we have a lot of here in Western Washington). I wore them last Saturday for nearly eight hours straight on one of the warmest days we've had in two years with no sore spots at the contact points and no eye strain what so ever. I've also ran with them on a recent warm day after a rain shower. The humidity was "thick" and the glasses vented well and didn't fog up. They stayed in place even through heavy sweat. The optics are great, everything is sharp and distortion free. I have been an Oakley fan for ever and still have a 12 - 13 year old pair of Oakley M Frames with Sweep lenses that I still love. I would say the Spy's are very close in overall quality. Will they last over a decade of frequent running and cycling? I guess there is only one way to find out.

Hope this helps.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicole Duke wears them...nuff said....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are a great pair of specs.

Love these things.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced Jawbones and Radars with them. Best glasses I have owned to day. Comfy as well as work great. No fogging, perfect fit, durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Spy Screw -- you wear them? [MattQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley makes the only cycling glasses that are OSHA and ANSI Z87.1 approved. Other mfgs have lower cosmetic ANSI ratings at best. The fit and finish of SPY glasses are severely lacking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had mine for a few months now. Absolutely reccomend them. They sit great while cycling, and I have had no issues while running. I don't think they have ever fogged on me. Did a HIM that rained for entire bike leg and half of run leg. Water seemed to just flow straight off of them (I dislike sunglasses resting on my run visor, so I always keep them on).

I will definitely be sticking with them for a few more pairs.

Buy them!

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Spy Screw -- you wear them? [OST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Oakley makes the only cycling glasses that are OSHA and ANSI Z87.1 approved. Other mfgs have lower cosmetic ANSI ratings at best. The fit and finish of SPY glasses are severely lacking. "

From the Spy "Screw" model page on their website:

"Our shades make you look cool and help you see cool things, certainly, but they’re also designed to keep your eyeballs protected and in your head. That’s why we made sure this pair of specs was ANSI Z87.1 certified for lens retention and high mass impact resistance. That means if something hits you in the face (or if your face hits something), the lenses will resist ejecting, they won’t shatter, and the frame won’t break. One test these badass optics endured is a 1/4-inch metal ball blasted at the them at more than 100 mph. The other is a 1.1 lb. pointed projectile dropped on them from more than 4 feet up."

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in a few different pairs of Screws for almost a year now and they are by far my favorite riding and running glasses I've ever had. Super lightweight, great fit for my large head and durable (I actually stepped on a pair in T1 in a race and they survived!).

Quote | Reply
False advertising as none of the screws on the shelf have that rating but I suppose they plan on selling certified models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the Screws specifically, but over the last few years I've owned four pairs of Spy casual sunglasses (42, Clint, MCII and Cooper XL) and have no complaints about quality. All are still going strong despite my clumsiness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding and running in them since they came on as a sponsor this season. Love 'em, but I have never been a sunglasses afficienado. I used to wear cheap Target Ironman sunglasses, so these are a big step up for me.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply