Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint tri to get IM ready
Quote | Reply
Just a question here / advice on whether to do a Sprint 7 days out of an IM or don't do it at all. I feel like it would be a good last opportunity to test a few things (wetsuit, transitions, and overall get a last chance to get the legs priming) but also don't want to do anything that can negatively affect the A race.

Interested in getting your perspective and if you'd do it (or have done it) would you approach at normal Sprint effort, IM race effort, 70.3 race effort, etc.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint tri to get IM ready [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do it. Racing is fun and a 1 hr effort 7 days out isn't going to hurt you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that in 2017 as the sprint was just for fun with friends, I don't feel like it negatively affected me but I also didn't go all out as one should do in a sprint. If you are doing it for practice then yes, go for it and pace it relatively easier

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely do it!
It is actually recommended by one top coach in a book, cannot remember which one sorry!
I did one last year before a 70.3 and had a massive 70.3 PR. Was great as I stuffed up my swim in the sprint (like 13-14 mins, way slow for me), spent the week working on how to avoid some panic and some race strategy and did a nice sub 30 HIM swim. Felt great to loosen up the legs etc as well. Just obviously watch the intensity and be safe...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're lacking in race experience, personally, I probably wouldn't bother unless the start line was around the corner from my house. I'd rather sleep in the last Saturday/Sunday before my A race to bank some extra sleep (I usually have a hard time sleeping IM race week, especially if travel is involved) and just do a short/activating race sim workout at your leisure.

If you race it, just don't crash your bike. Pass with a wide berth!
Quote Reply