Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

*Update: Sprint Race start temp of 48
Quote | Reply
I've got a full sleeve wetsuit and plan on using it. It will be the first time with a full suit in 11 years. The temps are a surprise to me, as start time is 48 and will only increase to 50 by end of race. Since it's my first time racing, I'm looking at completing it first and then hoping for a well executed race. I haven't raced in 7 years and am excited to be back in the game.

I did a search and only found a post on low temps for a longer race. I'm more interested in the balance between being warm enough and saving time in getting dressed for the elements (possible rain showers too).

This is for the bike only, I am not worried about the run

Here are my thoughts.
Full suit wetsuit
2 piece short and top under
Towel off
Maybe tights
Socks (to hopefully speed up putting on tights)
Long sleeve desoto skin cooler top (use his video tips for a quick put-on)
Gloves and toe covers *edited from shoe covers. I don't have them.
Beanie
Aero helmet
Maybe a vest but might just wing it and not mess with it.

Would love to do all this under 1.30 for T1 but likely 2 mins is more accurate.

Update posted in Post 25

Any suggestions from the group based on past experiences?

Rethinking as I proofread. Maybe start with top first and then work on socks and tights (rolled for a quick put on)

Thanks
Last edited by: littlefoot: May 10, 21 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Air temperature of 48? When you get out of the water you aren't going to notice. You won't be cold in T1. No need to towel off or do anything different in T1. You will get cold on the bike. Wear a windproof cycling jacket over your tri kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yes. Not sure of water temp. Will find out tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone’s thermals are different, but I’d go with:

Neoprene toe covers
Long finger gloves
A tight-fitting, windproof, long sleeve jersey; Castelli Gabba or similar (T1)
Optional: arm warmers to put on during the run

You’ll feel fine in T1; the key is not freezing on the way to T2.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If water temp is fine, just deal with it. In cold air temps, I can't grab water from stations (hands don't function) , and my toes feel like little rocks, other than that everything else acclimates quickly. Setup a drinkable BTA with straw and nutrition and wear toe covers on the bike with possible hand-warmers covers inside. Can also wear gloves on the bike.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint 2 weeks ago that was rainy & windy at around 50° air temp. I was afraid I would be cold on the bike. I didn’t notice the cold at all. I just wore a sleeved one piece tri suit. (Sleeved wetsuit in the swim.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this sounds odd but wear your leg warmers under your wetsuit. Whatever you put on after you get out of the water is going to get wet anyway and take you 5 minutes to put on. The leg warmers dry out fairly quickly and you don't have to fuss with them. They also make wetsuit removal easier.

Wear a thin cycling jacket on top. Most of the time I use a very light rain jacket. It will block all the wind.

Wear heavier gloves than you think you need.

Put toe covers on your shoes before the race.

If wearing an aerohelmet you'll probably be OK, If not wear a skull cap. 25mph breeze on you head is cold.

Have an extra pair of socks available for the run if you need to change (if you were wearing them on the bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion from someone who gets cold easily:

-You will be warm from the swim. Get a solid swim warm-up as well if possible.
-A tight fitting wind vest if you have one, then take it off after the bike.
-If your hands get cold very easily, (Raynauds, etc.), go for gloves but otherwise don't bother
-Don't mess with anything else, less to think about in a sprint is better!
-Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getting all that stuff on while wet will likely take 3 or more minutes, not 1.5. i would choose a light cycling jacket (that will still take a little longer than usual to get on) put gloves in the pocket and put them on while riding. make sure they aren't super tight fitting or that will be tough. would also go with toe covers in place prior to T1, and if you typically get cold feet, throw a set of ski chemical handwarmers between shoes and toe covers. running on numb feet feels like running as a double peg leg pirate. don't bother with the tights, beanie etc
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
getting all that stuff on while wet will likely take 3 or more minutes, not 1.5. i would choose a light cycling jacket (that will still take a little longer than usual to get on) put gloves in the pocket and put them on while riding. make sure they aren't super tight fitting or that will be tough. would also go with toe covers in place prior to T1, and if you typically get cold feet, throw a set of ski chemical handwarmers between shoes and toe covers. running on numb feet feels like running as a double peg leg pirate. don't bother with the tights, beanie etc

Love the idea of handwarmers between the covers and shoes. Didn't think of that!

So, my revised plan (thanks everyone for the input so far)
-Tights on under wetsuit
-Toe warmers on with handwarmers in place (I need to remember to break before I swim)
-Quick hand and arm towel off
-Long sleeve top
-Vest (currently have 2 options)
-Beanie
-Helmet
-gloves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I've got a full sleeve wetsuit and plan on using it. It will be the first time with a full suit in 11 years. The temps are a surprise to me, as start time is 48 and will only increase to 50 by end of race. Since it's my first time racing, I'm looking at completing it first and then hoping for a well executed race. I haven't raced in 7 years and am excited to be back in the game.

I did a search and only found a post on low temps for a longer race. I'm more interested in the balance between being warm enough and saving time in getting dressed for the elements (possible rain showers too).

Here are my thoughts.
Full suit wetsuit
2 piece short and top under
Towel off
Attempt to quickly put on lycra pants (laid out)
Socks (to hopefully speed up putting on tights)
Long sleeve desoto skin cooler top (use his video tips for a quick put-on)
Gloves and shoe covers
Beanie
Aero helmet
Maybe a vest but might just wing it and not mess with it.

Would love to do all this under 1.30 for T1 but likely 2 mins is more accurate.

Any suggestions from the group based on past experiences?

Rethinking as I proofread. Maybe start with top first and then work on socks and tights (rolled for a quick put on)

Thanks
That's not all that cold, especially for a sprint race where you'll be at or about threshold type efforts throughout. I wouldn't be worried about being cold on the run at that temperature, it's only a few degrees below ideal for fast running. I would want some protection for my toes, hands and arms on the bike, in that order. Besides thee discomfort, cold toes aren't nice for running and very cold hands aren't good for holding handlebars, braking or dealing with helmet straps and shoes in T2. I'd forget about full shoe covers and use neoprene toe covers that can be on the shoes and ready to go. I'd also ditch the idea of overtights. Calf guards throughout as jaretj suggested, are a good alternative, or live with bare legs. Gloves are a maybe for me. if you can, try getting them on under the same conditions in advance so you know they'll go onto cold slightly damp hands quickly. Beanie? Totally unnecessary IMO. It sounds like you plan two separate tops over your trisuit? I'd be far too warm, and too much faffing in transition. A tight fitting gillet and arm warmers (possibly worn on swim too like the calf guards, alternatively slipped over wrists in T1 and pulled up once under way on the bike) or a tight fitting lightweight wind/rain jacket over just the trisuit.
If you're only wearing socks to help get the tights on, ditch both. If you insist on the tights but don't need socks otherwise, stick your foot in a plastic bag and through the leg of the tights, then the same on the other leg - much better and easier solution for getting your legs in (based on experience with wetsuits where this works great. I haven't tried with lycra tights but it should be equally effective especially if damp where the socks will be slow and difficult).

Slightly too cold is better than too warm, and it's quicker in transition too. But mostly, keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What temperatures are you accustomed to, and what do you normally wear when you run in the 40s?

I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt in the 40s. Sometimes I wear a long sleeve shirt. Usually, I freeze on the bike below the low 50s.

My cold and wet sprint race 2 weeks ago was a non-event. I did not feel cold at all on the bike. Adrenaline and the effort of the race kept me warm. In my recent personal experience, wearing all the extra gear you list would have been a total waste and probably would have cost me 10 places in the overall finish if putting on, taking off, and slower aero on the bike cost me only 5 minutes. My guess is that all the stuff you list below will easily cost you 5 minutes overall, and probably more.

If performance is important, skip everything. Except gloves. I did wear gloves on the bike for better grip. And, I could not quickly take my gloves off, so I ran with them too.

For reference, my sprint was about 50° with driving rain, and 10 MPH wind with gusts in the 15 - 20 MPH range. It was cold and nasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Others have kind of hinted at it but IMHO the fact that you appear to care about your time doesn't mesh at all with the idea that you need extra clothes in 50 degree weather. I wouldn't give it a second thought to dress as you would normally UNLESS the water was extremely cold. Then it would maybe be synthetic arm warmers and calf sleeves under the wetsuit, but I'm never adding anything in transition if its that warm out

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take niacin (not time release or no flush version) on empty stomach before the swim. will warm your body up with warming sensation, lasting up to 20 min. Definitely light jacket and full finger gloves on the bike. I just did a race where I DNF'ed cause I froze on the bike and hands too numb to control brakes/shifters. The run is fine. Have some clothes at finish to warm you up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate being cold, especially on the bike. I once did an olympic that was mid 40s. Swim was no problem.... water felt great since it was so much warmer than the weather! I might have put on two caps, don't really remember. For the bike I had a cycling cap, toe covers, a tight fitting jacket, and gloves. No long pants/leg warmers. I was afraid I was going to be freezing but I was fine. Upper 40s is great running weather, so nothing extra needed there.

One tip that I found super helpful... get one of those silver emergency blankets, cut it in the shape of your chest/core, and put it under your tri suit. Didn't bother me one bit on the swim, and helped keep my core warm on the bike. I just ditched it in T2. Now anytime I am going to ride in cold (to me) weather I put one under my jersey! If you're worried it'll bother you, just try it before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think, as others have said, it really comes down to what you're used to and can handle. I've done a sprint around those temps (6*C, overcast with light drizzle) in just an ITU style suit like a regular old sprint. Only thing I wished I had done different was wear gloves on the bike (T2 was a nightmare trying to unbuckle helmet and get into shoes with frozen claws for hands).

You're redlining and it'll be over quick, the less extra crap you have to deal with the better, since transition time matters so much in sprint races.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:

-If your hands get cold very easily, (Raynauds, etc.), go for gloves but otherwise don't bother
-Good luck!

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to edit my original post. I never meant full on shoe covers. I have toe covers.

I'll go overprepared and make up my mind just before the race. I'm definitely wearing gloves and either arm warmers or long sleeve shirt. That shouldn't be too hard to get on.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely not worried about the run. Bike only. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked about the run, because that sets context for the bike. Are you cold running in mid 40s? If so, then maybe you will be cold on the bike in a sprint. Are you comfortable running in the 40s, then you will probably have no problem on the bike at 48 with a just a regular tri suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:

-Good luck!

This guy is correct. I also get cold very easily and have Raynauds which is a pain. A few years back the 70.3 NC in Wilmington had a start air temperature of 49 and I was flat panicked. I had performance in AG goals and wanted a worlds slot to NZ and wasn’t about to put on a bunch of baggy stuff that would slow me down.... so I didn’t and reconciled I’d quit if my fingers didn’t function. I had zero problems at all, until a car pulled slightly into the bike lane and I swerved hitting the sign indicating which lane was supposed to be for vehicles, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the weather.

You’ll be warm enough after the swim that you will not notice low 50s air temperature at all, especially in a sprint where the effort will be higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a sprint!!?? I've raced in 36 degrees in a speedo! You are way over thinking this.

Tri Kit + maybe toe warmers on the bike (already there and takes no time). If it makes you feel good, get dollar store gloves and you can toss if you need to. No need for socks (never in a sprint) or tights. No beanie is needed, and no need to towel off. Get into something warm after you finish.

Good luck!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race start temp of 48 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
for a sprint!!?? I've raced in 36 degrees in a speedo! You are way over thinking this.

Tri Kit + maybe toe warmers on the bike (already there and takes no time). If it makes you feel good, get dollar store gloves and you can toss if you need to. No need for socks (never in a sprint) or tights. No beanie is needed, and no need to towel off. Get into something warm after you finish.

Good luck!!

Obviously you are way more manly than I am! Haha.

Okay. Maybe I over reacted and panicked a little. The more I read from you guys who have competed in similar (or worse!) temps the less I am committing to wear.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good argument for duathlon. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short Version:
Definitely wasn't as cold as I felt it would be. Took a lot of stuff to wear just in case. Ended up wearing the following on the bike:
-long sleeve Desoto shirt
-vest
-gloves
-beanie under helmet
-calf sleeves
-socks
-toe covers with hand warmers in between shoes and covers *Probably the best advice for the race! Thank you!
I was definitely warm enough. The only area that was chilly were my quads. But I was pushing hard and didn't focus on it. If I was to do it all again, I wouldn't change anything I wore. Thanks guys.

Long version
48 Degrees isn't that bad. I panicked because the 6am projected time was 41 degrees and I figured I would freeze. The day was beautiful (obviously much nicer after the race) and I see why everyone was calm about my situation!

-My first race completed in 7 years. Pretty psyched about it. I definitely took way more than needed (2 wetsuits-long and short sleeve), 2 vests (heavy and light-wore the lighter one), tights (didn't wear), 2 gloves (wore the thicker set that had grips-grips was the reason I picked them).

The swim was my best time ever. Shocking since I couldn't breathe in the water at all-it was too cold for me to relax my breathing. I don't get why my face locks up, but I literally can't exhale at all in cold water. I swam the entire time with head above water and used hands/arms only. I did the 750 meter swim in 13.xx when I stood up and started to walk/run to T1. My crossing of the mat was 14.23. Again, really happy with the swim and figure that if I was able to swim like I trained, I would have been 12 mins. That would be far better than my 15.xx when I raced years ago.

T1
Took way longer than expected (as someone stated earlier). It was over 4 minutes. Obviously part of that is getting into T1 and getting to bike and leaving rack to get out of T1. I ended up going the wrong way at first. All in all, I think I could definitely do the same gear in 2 minutes less. It was definitely a learning experience.

Bike
I crushed it. Felt great. I have a Trek SC and Hed Jet 6/9 combo. Amazing wheels and very fast. I seriously was flying. I was holding 22-24 in sections I swear were uphill. I passed 40+ people and didn't get passed once (not bragging like a jerk-just shocked and impressed that I performed like I did after not completing a race in 7 years and having self doubt creep in). Yes, I did overbike, but it was worth it!

T2.
Pretty quick. I felt like I was forgetting something. I just needed the belt and slip on the sneakers after taking off the helmet, beanie and glasses.

Run
Both the bike and run followed the same path until the run veered off. So, all uphill with pretty steep sections in the first 3/4 mile. I paced myself appropriately getting up there and then was too conservative from .75 to 2. I could have pushed a bit more.

I am really happy with my results and am hooked again. I can't wait to do it again. Best part-the wife is proud of me and wants me to keep competing! The supportive spouse always makes things easier.

If you are looking for a top tier bike-don't worry about the disc brakes. Get the Trek SC and HED Jet black and you will have all the stopping power you need.

Thanks for reading and letting me panic over the temps!
Quote Reply