Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint Race Taper?
Quote | Reply
I did a search and couldn't find any suggested tips here for a taper for a SPRINT.

Quick Background
Haven't raced in 5 years. Started one 70.3 in Sept. 5 years ago and bailed on the run. COVID hit and allowed me to go from 215 down to 178-180ish. While covid has had a terrible impact on many, I was grateful to be able to reset and get myself back together. Since late march I started doing T25 workouts, which lead to running which lead to biking and swimming (pools thankfully opened in Dec.) and then I bought a bike (another).

Here is what I have done since Saturday and what I am thinking. Correct me if I am wrong. I want to do well. Primary goal is finishing and being happy with my result. Secondary goal is to be competitive.
Thanks!

I did a hard TT of 10 miles last Saturday. Did a 5 mile warm up there, TT and 5 mile cooldown home.
Sunday: Took day off
Monday: Ran 6 (split of 3 on treadmill in AM and 3 outside in PM)
Tuesday light ride with hills worked in
Wed (Today): Goal to run 3-5 with some sprint efforts (tell me if I am wrong)
Thursday: Swim
Friday: Run
Saturday: Bike (question of how hard?) and swim
Sunday: Off?
Monday: Swim
Tuesday: Run
Wed: Ride (light and easy)
Thursday (Swim)
Friday: simple run or ride
Saturday: Swim
Sunday: RACE DAY

Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race Taper? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would taper the same way as a Oly or HIM.

Have you driven yourself into a hole so deep that it's difficult to go up 2 flights of stairs?

I do that often and need more taper time. If you aren't that deep and feel strong shorter might be better to stay sharp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're plan looks pretty similar to mine. I'm also doing a "mini-taper" for a rare sprint next weekend. I'm doing a fairly heavy load this week that I will carry through this weekend. Long ride sat and longish fartlek on sunday(~10 miles planned). As long as you aren't destroying yourself with intensity this weekend I would pretty much train through as normal.

Your race week looks good! Just stay active, take it easy, and let 'er rip on race day!.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I would do.

Saturday (1 week out): Key race simulation brick. Bike 45 mins with 3x10min at race pace, straight into a 20 min run, 10 mins race pace, 10 mins cool down.
Sunday: off/rest
Monday: Bike or swim. Include some harder intervals
Tuesday: Run easy with strides
Wednesday-Thursday: Bike with some short intervals (3x3 mins) to prep the system
Friday: Easy or rest
Saturday: Short ride to make sure bike is all good to go. Include short bursts up to race effort. Swim open water 10 mins on the course
Sunday: RACE!
Last edited by: piratetri: Apr 28, 21 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race Taper? [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Hoping for a good result!
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Race Taper? [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Here is what I would do.

Saturday (1 week out): Key race simulation brick. Bike 45 mins with 3x10min at race pace, straight into a 20 min run, 10 mins race pace, 10 mins cool down.
Sunday: off/rest
Monday: Bike or swim. Include some harder intervals
Tuesday: Run easy with strides
Wednesday-Thursday: Bike with some short intervals (3x3 mins) to prep the system
Friday: Easy or rest
Saturday: Short ride to make sure bike is all good to go. Include short bursts up to race effort. Swim open water 10 mins on the course
Sunday: RACE!

That's a lot (to me) before a race. I like the idea of the brick on Sat. Will definitely give that a shot. I"ve done 2 or 3 small bricks, but should do another. Sadly, I should practice putting on and taking off my wetsuit too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming the race is Sunday - I take Saturday off.

The rest of the week will be similar to any other week. That's worked pretty well for me for the last 10+ years. Although the last 2 were cut off from a bike crash and then Covid, but it is my plan for a race in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, don't overlook the free speed that comes from the skills of race day. Practice taking off the wetsuit, practice mounting and dismounting your bike, set up a mock T1 and T2 and go through it 5 times. It should be quick and controlled.

As for the workouts. In the 5 days before the race you want to set yourself up for success by making sure you are rested and feeling ready to go. If you normally bike for an hour then do 30-40 mins, if you normally run 5 miles, run 3 on race week. Add in a few bursts up to race pace so you aren't feeling sluggish. Take a day of complete rest a couple days before the race if that makes you feel fresh!
Quote Reply