Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint->Olympic-70.3->IM
Quote | Reply
I am a little behind in watching Lionel Sanders Youtube and I just watched the outline of the training phases he is looking at. It got me wondering if there are rough speed correlations similar to Vdot for running.

e.g. I know there are a lot of variables, but if I wanted to do an 11 hour IM how fast do I have to be in a sprint?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint->Olympic-70.3->IM [Toolish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is likely the closest and most thorough analysis of the type of correlations you're looking for:

Alan Couzens Benchmark post

It's formatted poorly, but at least in my case with my limited data points, the numbers are actually pretty close.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 22, 21 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprint distance isn't standardized, so that's an issue.

Plus comparing a 3 discipline sport with different ratios across different distances isn't going to involve much science.

Faster is better. Don't overthink it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing that I have noticed for the run portion of a triathlon is that it usually correlates to an open race at about double the distance. In theory, you should be able to run a 5k in a triathlon at open 10m pace, and so on up to running a 70.3 at open marathon pace. Of course, this only really works if you have recently done running races and fitness is pretty similar. I've found this idea very spot on for my personal racing. When my best open 10k was around 36:30 I ran a 5k in a tri at 18:15. 1:20 open half marathon pace led to a 10k run in a tri of a bit under 38:00.

I know this may not help in terms of overall time in a triathlon, but with the run being the last and most important it gives a decent idea of proper run pacing.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Feb 22, 21 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint->Olympic-70.3->IM [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
This is likely the closest and most thorough analysis of the type of correlations you're looking for:

It's formatted poorly, but at least in my case with my limited data points, the numbers are actually pretty close.

Do you know how he is measuring V02? I've read that it can be drastically different depending on the sport due to the amount of your body that is actively consuming oxygen (although correct me if I'm wrong on this)
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint->Olympic-70.3->IM [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Do you know how he is measuring V02? I've read that it can be drastically different depending on the sport due to the amount of your body that is actively consuming oxygen (although correct me if I'm wrong on this)
The values in that chart aren't measured. They're just estimates based on data he's collected over the years. Some of the relationships will likely be more accurate than others. For example, if I choose my row based on my best 70.3 time, the bike watts and half marathon are likely pretty accurate, but the 5k run is way fast and the swim paces are actually likely slow. I'd guess Vo2 max is one of the less "provable" data points in there, but included to give a rough idea of where someone might test at.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply