Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spray.Bike Paint?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used this product to repaint a bike? Curious how durable it is over time. Thx.

https://us.spray.bike/
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sprayed my aluminum Trek and it has lasted a while. I used something like Rust-Oleum flat black spray paint from Home Depot. I sanded the area a little, lacquer thinner the area, tape it off, and spray.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [Towjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you used the Rustoleum flat as an undercoat and the Spray.Bike spray over it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I just used the Rust-Oleum to fix the quite a few problem areas where the paint had peeled. It's worked pretty well but not going to win any beauty contests!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not used this stuff, but the website is oddly vague as to how this miracle coating actually works and adheres ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want to paint your bike try PlastiDip - go to DipYourCar.com and check it out. I actually used it for a set of wheels a few years ago. If you dont like it or mess up peel it off. check out the guys youtube channel as well options are endless and it is super simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that. Is PlastiDip durable enough for a bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sailnfast wrote:
Has anyone used this product to repaint a bike? Curious how durable it is over time. Thx.

https://us.spray.bike/

I have some waiting to be used after a couple races. My brother has painted multiple bikes with it. I'll have him jump on here today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it on wheels on one of my cars that i used on race tracks. Held up fine on the car - no issues with a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spray.bike is awesome! i've painted 2 bikes so far and done some testing on another broken frame. it's incredibly easy and as so far been largely durable. the second bike i did was a surly and i ran into some chipping as the bike was built and have had some chipping since....but it's my gravel bike so rocks and shit are hitting, can't really stop that. i probably could have done a better job on the final seal coat to help prevent this. i'll just bullet out some things i've learned so far...

- polishing : this is hugely important! once the paint dries you just rub the whole frame down with a paper towel, which will turn the color of the paint. don't worry, it doesn't pull much off or require you to do another coat. this helps get rid of any "rough" spots and gives a nice shine.

- the site talks about doing a matte finish by NOT using the finish spray. i personally wouldn't attempt this. i think it would just lead to the paint chipping w/o the protective layer.

- do at least 2 layers of the finish spray for a good shine and to protect the paint.

- i've used it on aluminum, steel, alu/carbon blend, and carbon (i think Ritte is carbon, right?). works well on all surfaces

- if you're taping over certain areas to provide graphics there's no need to load up on tape. it'll just create a "ridge" between the two colors. one piece of tape should do the trick

- prep is key. clean the hell out of the frame. i've been using isopropyl alcohol and it works well. just make sure you wipe it all off...and shake the hell out of the can and get a couple good test sprays before hitting the frame. goo gone also works for getting off any stickers

happy to answer any other questions. im likely going to be painting my spesh transition pretty soon as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sailnfast wrote:
Saw that. Is PlastiDip durable enough for a bike?

There's youtube videos of people power washing their car that has been "dipped". That's durable enough for me.

Only issue is that with cars, it often starts to fade in a couple years. A bike, I'd assume given it doesn't "live" outdoors like a car does shouldn't have as much a fading issue.

It's still all in the prep and patience too. Good prep and patience applying it yields better results. I'd almost say consider cleaning it up yourself but taping it up and taking it to a car shop that "dips" cars and have them do it.

Also, for a bike, weight. I'd assume the coats of Plastidip to weigh more than most light factory sprays for bikes. If it's an aero bike or a bike you don't race on, who cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, appreciate your insight. So I'm looking for a matte finish...are you saying it won't be durable unless the finish spray is used (which makes it satin/gloss)? I'm leaning toward PlastiDip based on all the info so far as it seems easy to work with and worse case you can just remove it. Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impressive if it can be power washed. It's for a cheap TT bike build, so weight isn't an issue. Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm just guessing on the matte finish. they say it works. only one way to find out! i've become obsessed with this stuff and it's taking all self control not to keep buying up frames to paint. it's so easy and really brings a bike back to life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello sailnfast and All,

Easy on and easy off ...........

Paint can be so yesterday ....

https://www.metrorestyling.com/...-Shades-s/354463.htm

https://www.metrorestyling.com/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not classify vinyl as "easy on" - especially to the novice user. For anything with curve or shape to it, you've got to know how to "work" it to eliminate creases/wrinkles. Of course, this also requires a heat gun. You're also going to be looking at some seams in various places. Paint >> vinyl when it comes to an entire frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello A527G and All,

I agree with some of what you write ...

... However ... Cervélo frame warranty is void with paint .... and other brand users should check if their frame has paint warranty issues before painting.

All areas of the frame need not be vinyl covered to obtain a very nice look.

Covering just the easy areas is economical and looks good for novices.

Those wanting a more complex job can go to vinyl professionals.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
My cervelo p2 is a nightmare with the clear coat already. Only from removing race numbers the clear coat comes off. Can’t imagine it would survive an entire plastiwrap...
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [Spoili007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Spoili007 and All,

If you are trying to protect your frame warranty you might consult a professional vinyl wrap shop and contact your Cervélo dealer for advice.

The vinyl wrap is pretty serviceable and might protect your remaining clear coat.

You could experiment by getting some good quality 3M or similar vinyl wrap and do a small portion to see how it goes. The vinyl wrap has it own adhesive and sticks very well.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LilTeichMonster's bike is pretty nice looking. Follow his advice.

I seen't it.
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone still curious, this is my most recent creation using spray.bike....i love this stuff![/img][/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Fess up. You painted that fake Argon 18 in the "Help identify this frame thread" right?

That's a sweet paint job.

Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
'Fess up. You painted that fake Argon 18 in the "Help identify this frame thread" right?

That's a sweet paint job.

Negative, but Just saw the thread, that really sucks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you get the decals? Or are they cut-outs that you sprayed over and peeled off?
Quote Reply
Re: Spray.Bike Paint? [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tall_Coffee wrote:
Where did you get the decals? Or are they cut-outs that you sprayed over and peeled off?

Got them on eBay. I did the latter and painted the decals onto the bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next