Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair
Quote | Reply
From the IMNZ results it appears this gal DNF'd the bike even though her husband waited 40 minutes in T1 for her and then literally pushed her around the bike course. Pathetic lack of sportsmanship/fair play (not to mention preparation for an event of this nature). And no, he's not just patting her on the butt as he goes by - check his posture, and the splits.

Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [wb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my first reaction is "so what". It's not like these guys are in contention for any award. Besides, how can you assume lack of preparation - maybe she got a stomach virus at the last minute.

I'm not saying it's OK to cheat, but there are plenty of injustices in this world that bother me a lot more.

>>I guess my first reaction is "so what". It's not like these guys are in contention for any award.<<

Uh, it's cheating? And who cares if one is in contention for an award? CHEATING IS CHEATING. Not to mention, having some personal pride. (IMO)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]>>I guess my first reaction is "so what". It's not like these guys are in contention for any award.<<

Uh, it's cheating? And who cares if one is in contention for an award? CHEATING IS CHEATING. Not to mention, having some personal pride. (IMO)

clm[/reply]

I'm with you on this one Cathy

FYI This would be a DQ in a race where I was an official Him: 3 consecutive fouls [every 15 seconds, for drafting or position. Her: Outside assistance in multiple instances

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so what"

I'm completely with you on this one. What's the big deal? Doesn't affect my home life or economic situation in any way. She's obviously got some sort of a physical problem and he's there trying to encourage her. I'd suspect they DNF'd any ways. If it was my wife I'd do the same thing.

Cathy are you just ancy because you don't have a guy in your life to help you like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know it isn't the other way around... She's pulling him!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the scope of my life it has no effect on me. Against the rules, yes. Relevant enough for me to get bent out of shape, even if I was in the race? Nope.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"so what"

If it was my wife I'd do the same thing.

?[/reply]

If I tried Ruth would smack me upside the head for trying to interfere in her race or non race as it were

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a couple of obnoxious type-A's who decided a few weeks ago that they had to add "Ironman" to their list of conquests ("in spite of the fact we've never raced a triathlon before, but never mind that, we've got the money to go out and buy everything we need to look like a couple of real athletes, so what does it matter?").

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you CG. I'm not going to assume a bunch of stuff about these two based on one photo. I'm surprised no one has called them posers yet. ;)

I would do the same for my wife [or girlfriend or even friend] no matter if was due to poor conditioning, illness, late decision to race, newbie in over her head, stomach cramps from swimming, whatever. Call me a cheater. DQ me. Suspend me. Don't let me race in NZ again. I don't care what you think. I care what my wife thinks. When all the dust settles, my wife will remember that at least to me, seeing her to safety was more important than finishing the race. That likely wasn't the worst offense on the race course that day.

Desert Dude has the right idea. Cheating? Yes. Enough that it interferes with anyone else in the race? No. If it weren't for this photo would anyone but these two know what was going on? Who could possibly be trailing them? Is it worse than the mass of riders at Kona? What was it 16 guys all staggered together for how long?

-------------------------------------

Edit: If they're newbies ... no one's giving them credit for owning a road bike w/ aero clip-ons. =)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: Fireproof -- TT: Mar 10, 04 21:01
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [Fireproof -- TT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you are talking circles again.

>>I'm not going to assume a bunch of stuff about these two based on one photo.<<

>>seeing her to safety was more important than finishing the race.<<

Why would you assume he is seeing her to safety? And if she is in that much danger, then there are people out there for whom that is their job at a race like this.

>> Is it worse than the mass of riders at Kona? What was it 16 guys all staggered together for how long?<<

Well, technically those riders were legal. Right? Not IMO, but according to Charlie, THE rule guy, they were legal.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Cathy are you just ancy because you don't have a guy in your life to help you like this?<<

So you've now become an expert on my personal life? Sorry to burst your bubble, but (1) I don't need the help and (2) if I did, I've got it more than covered, thanks.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [Fireproof -- TT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm surprised no one has called them posers yet. ;) "

---------------------

Uh, I think Quadzilla basically did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my last race I had completed one lap of the run course, and was heading out on the second lap. I was fully zoned. From behind me i heard a very very "Hello?". I turned (still running) and it was my girlfriend, bottom lip trembling and almost to the point of tears. Her bike leg had been plagued by cramps and she was last back in, which was devasting for her considerig she is a gun athelete. Simply, it almost broke my heart.

(Turns out that a 14hour flight from Dubai to Australia and 1.5 hours sleep is not conducive to a good race!!)

I ran with her, holding her hand, for a couple minutes or so while she composed herself. Outside assistance? Mentally, without doubt. Physically, not so much. Cheating? I hope not.

Maybe this girl just just like my girl, and this guy was just like me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you assume he is seeing her to safety?

1. Someone posted he waiting 40min at T1 for her. I interpret that to mean, "they aren't racing. 2. She DNF'd the bike leg. I interpreted that to mean "they weren't racing". I figured he was helping her get to somewhere where she could stop and not have to walk the bike.

The way I was reading the other posts was that they should be DQ'd because she is receiving an unfair advantage. I didn't want to see them getting ripped for "obtaining an unfair advantage" when it's pretty obvious (at least to me) based on the info presented that they were not racing or trying to obtain a higher placing. If they weren't obtaining an unfair advantage, I assumed he was helping her get to safety (stopping point) rather than just leaving her with race officials. It makes sense to me. I would do something similar.

They're gonna get it from us anyway ... either for cheating, being posers, having bikes they don't deserve, having equipment they shouldn't have, etc, etc. I didn't see where this situation compared with the married swim duo situation [pacing for an advantage]

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who give a fling F*CK if they where cheating.
Do you always drive the speed limit? (I don't)
Did you ever cheat on a test? (heck ya)
Have you ever drafted someone in a race? (Ah ... probably)
Have you ever blocked someone? (probably)

Like it is said above, are they cheating ... obviously ... is it hurting anyone? probably not. Let them be.

Man ... I'm just full of rants today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, apparently you do need the help. Haven't you failed miserably in trying to make the bike cutoff at the two Ultramax races? And haven't you barely broken 17 hours in your other iron-races, iron-clm?
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [P Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your problem P Star? Did Cathy steal your spot in transition? You've posted 3 times, twice to childishly attack Cathy. If you have issues with her, why don't you send her a PM or an email, she's got all of her info in her profile. I notice you don't have anything there.
Quote Reply
Re: Spousal swim drafting has nothing on this pair [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who give a fling F*CK if they where cheating. It's not going to
Do you always drive the speed limit? (I don't)

Have you ever drafted someone in a race? (Ah ... probably)
Have you ever blocked someone? (probably)

Like it is said above, are they cheating ... obviously ... is it hurting anyone? probably not. Let them be.

Man ... I'm just full of rants today.

It doesn't really have an effect on me personally so it doesn't really bother me. I do think if seen by an official, they should have been DQ'd. If I choose to speed or to cheat, I know if caught I will have to pay the consequences.

There's no point in getting upset about it as we don't know their motives. Like TT said, maybe he just felt he was doing his husbandly duty, helping his struggling spouse and understood they would be DQ'd if seen.

Another thought: we know now she DNF'd, but what if while getting assistance, they passed some people on the course. I could see other women in her age group getting pissed.
Last edited by: jaylew: Mar 11, 04 1:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the things I enjoy about triathlon is that for the most part triathletes are a great bunch of people - this site is illustrates that fact - ask for advice or help and people will always take the time to post a constructive and helpful response

Everyone seems to be dumping on this couple - not sure what they have done to anyone here - they did not take someones place on the podium nor deprive them of a Kona slot.

There could be a whole host of reasons why the husband is supporting his wife -

If I had flown from South Africa to NZ (they are both listed as South African on the IMNZ site) with my wife and she was having problems - would I stick with her ? I hope so

anyway my 2c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That guy isn't helping her out - he's helping himself to some of her nutrition on the sly.

A technique I'm fond of myself.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather DNF than put myself in a position of having a picture like this making the rounds! Wouldn't want to have to live with knowing that a permanent record of my weakness and cheating was out there.

Anybody can have a bad day, but when it's my turn, I'd just as soon suffer with honor and at least a shred of personal pride. To me, a picture like this just adds fuel to the "weak women need help" fire and that's not something I want anything to do with!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got busted for drafting in a race once. It didn't matter much to the race official that I was not in contention for the race lead. I still had to sit by the side of the road for 3 minutes. To say that they were not taking anyone's Kona slot misses the point; rules are rules.

Therefore, they both should have been immediately DQ'd for this stunt, tested for performance enhancing drugs, bicycles confiscated, deported, banned from IM racing forever and there children placed in protective custody.

You can never underestimate the damage of such a pathetic lack of sportmanship.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the guy was waiting for her at T1....he obviously wasnt there to race, not sure about her intentions. My only concern is that in the future they dont take a Canada (or other sellout I-man) slot from someone who has worked hard and waited years to get in. (and wants to play by the rules) but feel free to sign up for Panama City....plenty of foul play there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next