#07: Pete Jacobs, 0:30:00
#08: Greg Fraine, 0:31:38
#09: Stephen Farrell, 0:32:31
#10: Ken Glah, 0:32:52

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  I admire Andersson's hard push on the bike. But where was the thinking in going that hard. He could have went maybe 5 minutes slower to run at least 10 minutes faster. How can you have an 18 minute lead going into the marathon and finish 3rd? He should know his body well enough to know what pace he can maintain, and what is too hard.

Jimmy S.
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [fireluv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about the possibility that it can be more profitable for him to do that? He could ride within himself and run a bit better and would end up third anyway... with the exception that nobody would be talking about him and his sponsors would have close to zero return. So this way of racing might prove to be smarter now that he knows he can't win the race yet.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How can you have an 18 minute lead going into the marathon and finish 3rd? He should know his body well enough to know what pace he can maintain, and what is too hard.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I guess you can have an 18 minute lead and come third in this circumstance to Clas by running slower than a 3:12 marathon. Something that a lot more accomplished and experienced IM athletes have done many times. Maybe he doesn't have much more than a 3:16 marathon in him off any kind of bike ride just yet? Maybe he just felt a bit off on the run?

From everything we've heard about Bjorn it indicates that a 4:33 bike isn't necessarily going too hard?

I say AWESOME JOB and my hat goes off to Bjorn for 3rd in such a tough field. I think this should have given his confidence a huge boost and his run should only get faster, as will probably his bike leg as well which is a scary thought....
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent point.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hat goes off to Cameron,Bjorn,Gordo, Tom D, and all the other competitors in IMNZ

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There just is no pleasing you, is it? Before the race it was maybe 6th if I didn't have an "ego trip" on the bike like last year. :0)

But you're right I should be ashamed of myself. What was I thinking?

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bjorn- What are your race plans for the rest of the year? I had the privilege to see you racing towards me at the Utah 1/2 last year, and your draft wake is something I won't ever forget. Ever since then I've been a big fan and am glad to see you had a great race racing the style you wanted to race. I don't know what some of these folks are complaining about, but 3rd place in your first IM finish is damn impressive! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [Becca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bjorn,

18 minutes ahead of the field going into t2, with a third place finish. I dont know what you are thinking. But Im thinking "you the man". You said you would do your best. I say GREAT RACE.... Very Impressive :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I am not an official, or unofficial, representative of Bjorn's, nor do I know him or for that matter his racing schedule in 2004 and beyond, or where to find him at this very moment or even the next, or what seat angle he was riding at in 2004 vs. 2003, or his potential as a marathoner once he “has more miles on his legs”, or the slightest inkling into his 2004 IMNZ race strategy and why he “didn’t pull back” on the bike, and he will certainly disavow any knowledge of who I am or his non-relationship with me, he did want me to ask you to send him a picture of your breasts with a picture of him riding his bike in between.

Same goes for Clas, though, same goes for him above expect a few of the points which I will not labor here.

My groupie sensibilities have been so violated.
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bjorn, maybe you should've checked out Fireluv's tips page before you raced;-)

http://www.fireluv.com/triathlon/racetips.htm

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! I was wondering if anyone would go there.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When either of them WIN an IM...I would be more than willing to provide such a picture. Or more. How's that for motivation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bjorn/Clas, you can both thank me later.
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Mar 9, 04 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The " ;-) " didn't soften the blow?

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Baron/Clas, you can both thank me later.
You were supposed to ask for the photo WITHOUT mentioning me. And btw I don't know if Clas has a split personality but Clas and Baron are the same person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When either of them WIN an IM...I would be more than willing to provide such a picture. Or more. How's that for motivation?
I've already started training again :)

Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Bjorn, maybe you should've checked out Fireluv's tips page before you raced;-)

http://www.fireluv.com/triathlon/racetips.htm
And now you're telling me! If only I had known before the race :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw that ! Set your plan, play to your advantages and stick with it. Holding back on the bike never guarantees the best run to achieve the same deficit. As it was 18mins is damn impressive and was a real gamble for the rest of the field to let him have that much. I agree with everyone else that with more race experience I seriously doubt the field will let him get away with that too often ! Roll on Hawaii '04 !!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bjorn has a breif race report posted over at Cervelo:

http://www.cervelo.com/News/news339.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"To finish the report off I’m going to share some post-race nutrition tips that two top-5 finishers used after the race. Having eaten very strict for 2 months Gordo (4th in the race) and I decided to make up for it on our 12h drive back to ChCh. Between us we had 10 double espressos(all Gordo), 2pieces of carrot and banana cake, 4 pieces of cheese bread, 1 bag of crisps, 1 chocolate bar, 2 large burger king meals, bag of cookies, 7 hot chocolates, 2 large plates of nachos and potato wedges with sour cream and cheese, 1 (very) large family pan pizza, 2l of coca cola, 4 apples + individual breakfast. Needles to say neither of us was very hungry the next day."

Those boys were hungry!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a few of those items violate the Paleo Diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are the famed pics of the meal gordo said he had?
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he is packing for his ride across the USA...and therefore preoccupied. I will keep my spy eye on.
Quote Reply
Re: Splits going into T2 [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply