Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wasn't me, but rather the woman who crossed the finish line 2nd. We're both from the same area and have trained together on occasion. She's a great biker and I have no doubt she rode clean too.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [aditri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you did draft(cheat), just kept it within your ability to justify. Cool, thanks for coming clean.

Dave Luscan
www.endorphinfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [Aunt Em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry 'bout that - I thought I had the top 5 or so ladies figured out until I saw the results. Well done out there, nonetheless!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [aditri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for the bike course... there was NO WAY that you couldn't draft a little, and maybe a lot in some cases. However, if it happened it wasn't intentional. You seriously couldn't go anywhere. I was getting fired up because I felt amazing and there were people holding me back. That doesn't work for me. The roads were what, maybe 12 feet across and at times there were 5 bikes across. I screamed at packs several times to move over or pass. I passed an entire pack of MEN at least twice on the left going into the other lane of traffic to prove my point.

So you both cheated and broke the yellow line rule? I'm impressed.

The only way you couldn't not draft is if the rules meant nothing to you. Apparently, they don't.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my second tri and first 1/2 ironman.

Acording to my GPS, I swam .99 miles, which was from starting area on the beach, to just past the yellow exit bouy (and no, I can't swim straight, so most people probably swam less).

I held back a bit on the first half of the bike, then started to push it. Got passed by the pack maybe around mile 35 - 40. I was able to pass everyone back on a couple of the small rollers out there, but then got swallowed back up as the pack went coasting by on the flats. Finally I just gave up and decided to try to save my legs for the run. I guess I will just have to train harder so I can stay out in front of everyone next time. In addition to the performance implications, there are also safty concerns. I saw a guy get a flat, get off his bike (in the middle of the lane) only to be clipped by someone's handlebar as they went by, and almost took out the whole group.

I saw the draft marshal finally catch up to the group on Main street and hang with them for awhile, but I don't know if they gave out any penalities. The posted results online don't break out penalities, which is unfortunate. I was really expecting to see more marshals out on the course based on a previous post here on ST, but I think I only saw maybe 2 different marshals a couple of times each. My suggestion would be to focus on the second half of the race, and focus around the the riders looking to finish between 2:20 and 2:30, as that seems to be were a large concentration of people were.

My GPS/watch time was 4:49:XX and my posted result time was 4:48:59, so I guess I didn't have any of the timing issues other people were talking about.

I don't know if I'll be back. On the one hand, I have lots of family in Racine, so I got a place to stay, and they come out and cheer me on. On the other hand, the wife enjoys the shopping in door county a lot more ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [Reklats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about focus on EVERYONE?

I mean, if these people were playing softball would they go from second to home (skipping third) as it is easier?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
oh and I forgot - DRAFTING.

I didn't see much at my end of the race, but when I was out on the run course around mile two I saw a HUGE pack come in. Side by side about 15-20 people deep.

Something needs to be done - USAT handed out 100+ penalties, but that was worthless. Break the field up into smaller waves, or limit the size of the field. It was totally redicoulous today.

Also - I'm not planing to leave my complaints on ST - working on a "nice" email right now...

Four people were DQ'd for multiple penalties (all the officials sheet says).

I counted 168 penalties which (if my math is right) is 10% of the field.

"Normal" according to the official Dave is 5%. This does not count several people getting two penalties. Racine is a pretty competative race, so I kind of expect people to not give up their ground and space myself out accordingly.

4 + 8 2nd violation = 12 mins of penalties. I wish Ironman races would follow the same format only with bigger time penalties.

I heard two people protesting their penalties when I was there. 1) a female racer who lost a water bottle and didn't pick it up was complaining about her 4:00 and told the ref she would prefer the $500 Racine Co. fine for littering. 2) a guy who I saw drafting, blocking, riding on the left the entire frickin' race was complaining about his penalty... he was 27th in our age group and a big jack ass doing IM Wisconsin.

I thanked one of the Sherriff officers out there and he said he was pretty pissed at how much litter there was on the course. He said he was about to start writing tickets.

Ultimately, aren't we responsible for keeping the right distance? If you ride left or draft then don't complain.

Based on what I saw here... I hope the marshals are ready to write at IM Lou and IM Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Based on what I saw here... I hope the marshals are ready to write at IM Lou and IM Wisconsin.
But....those are not USAT races......

Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure they are. IMWI showed up on my USAT AG ranking last year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was SOOOOOO last year.

I asked the guy that was at the dismount line if he was going to be at IMLP next weekend. His comment was "The USAT decided to not sanction the Ironman brand races".....this was right from the red shirt official. I tried to google it and cant find info, nor is there any USAT info on IMLP, IMKY or IMooo sites.

Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [IN Elite racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get chicked too? I know Adrienne, saw her race yesterday and she raced clean and fair. Its not like she hasn't beat pros before, because she has.

And yes this can race that speed on the bike, I've seen her do a lactate threshold test with power number that confirm what she is capable off.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
But....those are not USAT races......
The point was about the officials and drafting. I am very aware that they are different.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I know....but still, these people are there "to make friends and have a good time" - we are the few here on ST - the masses could first off not give a shit what we think, or what the rules are.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True true.

I think all racers (as part of their license) should have to volunteer, run a race or marshal in order to race once every so many years. It would change many people's behavior.

WTC races are USAT sanctioned but not officiated. They have their own rules and methods (yellow/red cards). The issue with their method - penalties are too short and they don't compound.

IE:
IM WI - 1st drafting penalty = 4 min, 2nd = 4 min for a total of 8:00 penalty. I would like to see 6:00 then 12 min (a la USAT ultra rules) for a total of 18 minutes. Bigger time loss.

Yellow cards get you a stop and go... no real effect other than pulling you out of the group on the road (Blocking is what I saw a lot racing @ IM Moo.)
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get chicked. Did you not read her post? She basically admits to drafting and says that IF it happened, it wasn't her fault. She also admits to breaking the center line rule! Sure, she might be "capable" of that speed. But drafting sure makes it easier!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM races ARE USAT races! They apply for rules changes from USAT and use penalty tents. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [IN Elite racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy solution to all of this. Door County!

And they had plenty of size mediums... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [wavedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am certain that none of these same issues will be a factor when Door county has another 1500 or so folks show up :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Touche. :)

At least the hills will help spread people out!
Last edited by: wavedog: Jul 20, 09 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you take advantage of the draft, sure it would make it easier, she did not. But when a pack(cheaters) swallows you up and you have to fight again and again to pass and race your own pace avoid even legal distance drafting you burn more advantage than you might have received when you got unavoidable trapped in a pack of 30 bikers.

If Adrienne made any mistakes Sunday it was not racing as a elite so there would be no questions or vindictive people jumping on her back and harassing her sucess.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll have to check back after steelhead, Kona, Clearwater and Chicago.

I hope to be proved wrong, and see comprable performances at those races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If Adrienne made any mistakes Sunday it was not racing as a elite

I agree with that part at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd expect a similar performance at Clearwater.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they contract Randy Fulton as the race director for this event?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know who that is, but here's a pic of some drafters, I mean racers heading out. Must have been ridiculously crowded out on the course.

Last edited by: IN Elite racing: Jul 20, 09 9:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next