Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, super big congrats for her AG victory.

I won't put too much into this one but I go "chicked", by 3 min at Racine. I unraveled the previous performance at Steelehead by 11 min while riding out of the last wave over 1 hour after her start with at least a 5+ mph increase in wind speed. That is a total difference of 14 min of riding. For the record I had almost identical wattage ~230 and for the record I got passed by NO ONE on the bike, I'm sure I got a little advantage blowing by athletes in earlier waves but not enough to account for 14 mins in difference. I will also say from the large number of riders I passed that it was a relatively draft free event - Spirit of Racine could learn something by spacing out their waves.
Last edited by: sppnet: Aug 2, 09 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [chiro18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2009 Steelhead 70.3 Result:

Adrienne Saeger 4:48:41

Better luck next time!
Why are you guys this much bitter? Even I did peace with fat people!
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She cheated, she admitted it, USAT of course did nothing...as the never do, nor do the masses care. I dont mean to brag about my own threads...but the fact of the mater is USAT can just take your money and run as we have seen with the lack of posts on my thread about the USAT quoting them....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
She cheated, she admitted it, USAT of course did nothing...as the never do, nor do the masses care. I dont mean to brag about my own threads...but the fact of the mater is USAT can just take your money and run as we have seen with the lack of posts on my thread about the USAT quoting them....

Can they do anything without seeing after the race is over?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can? Why? Could? Of course.

Fact of the matter is the USAT does not NOT to abide by the rules. If and when they do, it just upsets their core...the one day folks. You and I can see their budget and their imcome online...their one day fees for the past many year matched or beat their membership numbers. When 20% + of a race entry is USAT fees the last thing they want to do is bust their one day folks - who are just there to meet friends and have a good time. I do give credit in the fact that they hold everyone to the same standard...and a very low one at that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you are just too bitter. I interact all the time with various USAT folks. Everyone of them work their tails off to try and exceed all the Type A's expectations in our sport.
Now, do you really think being in their shoes, you really really could do that much of a better job? Why not work with Kathy on insurance if you say you have one that is better.
See if they will bid for the USAT contract.

Have you ever talked to a USAT official that says they do not call what they see?

I give anyone credit who is honest enough to say sometimes we get caught in situations that may not be perfect to the rules. Bottom line, if you sign up for a race to compete,
you do what you need to do on that day to compete. If a rule is broken, you might get a penalty, just like in ANY other sport.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not bitter - but you have to admit that the cheating (drafting) is rampant. It took USAT years and years to pull the plug on one RD...and now, other USAT races in my area all seem to be off distance...not one or two....allot. When a "half iron" race has a long swim, short bike and long run...well, that is just not a Half Iron distance race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sound very bitter.

You and I and everyone else knows drafting (which I will not call cheating) is rampant. If the vast vast majority cared, they would show this caring with there money.
Since the 70.3 championships has SO many folks, (as one of many examples) my point is made that 99.9% of the folks do not care. So they probably are the ones who really understand this is not
about life or death, but about fun, exercise, etc.

I have experienced first hand various RD's who care about different stuff. At the end of the day, this is just a business!!!!! Folks spend their money where they feel they
are getting what they want. If a race does not have enough customers, they will close. After that, folks "opinions" do not matter.

One reason our sport just stays where it is at, TOO MUCH BITCHING!!!

Oh well, back to working on the FUN stuff while I am "retired" to try and bring new angles to our sport. :o)

It will change soon, very soon, and I sure hope to be a part of the fun.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some ways, I think many actually like the drafting races, as it gives them a very inflated opinion of how fast they really are. How many will list Racine, Clearwater, etc in their resume of races? Lots! Last year I know of many locals who did Racine, and then bragged about their "PR"s. Holy shit, it wasn't even close, but I think many current athletes just want to be able to say how fast they went without actually doing the race for the magic it brings. Instead of knowing what one is made of, they can brag forever about how fast they once were.....

I'm getting slower, but I'm racing legal! (might be my new Sig line).
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, let them brag. Who cares. If it gets them out exercising, more power to them. One thing I have learned is there is ALWAYS someone faster, and many slower.
I think it is great when someone is excited they met some goal of theirs. How does it "hurt" us for someone to be bragging, as some call it.

At the end of the day, we all have to look in the mirror and answer for our actions. I have seen enough TOP racers cheat, and I do not mean drafting, but like cutting a course,
big time, that I try to just ignore this stuff as much as I can. Was funny a guy came up to me at Nationals that I had beat earlier in the year, who I had seen cut the course big
time. I wish I would have remember to ask him about it, but on the other hand, who cares, we both know how he really races. But I agree with ya, I am getting slower,
but do all I can to stay 100% legal.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make good points, but I guess one point was that many are arcing for different reasons than you and I. The fastest bike split (no matter the finish time), the best PR(on a short course) or whatever, and yes, it isn't my place to judge. But I guess one thing it means than in their quest to have those bragging rights, the integrity of the sport has been sacrificed, and USAT and WTC have no interest as long as their coffers are full. By actually putting teeth into and enforcing rules, they would piss of much of their customer base, and lose cash as the posers drop from the ranks. Keep them happy with inflated egos and they will return....sad, but very reflective of our society; not just sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, you are 100% right. Again, who cares. Is there one sport, just one, that has 100% integrity? I do not think so, but again, who cares.
Best we can do in life is lead by example. By our actions, not our words.

(It was like a guy I heard on the news asking a congress person, tell him one government agency that has made money, and this means real profit money.
He kept changing the subject. )

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My solution to this problem was to skip Racine and do the Door Country Half-Iron that takes place the same day. A great event that has exact distances and deep water to swim in. You should think about doing this event next year; I'm glad I made the switch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wish we could USAT and/or WTC to get some balls and stand up and enact and enforce rules that matter. But, as I said, the money's great for them right now, and why rock the boat and possibly lose customers. I guess I was hoping that enough of us would be "mad as hell and not wanting to take it anymore" that our words would be heard. I'm seriously considering next year's schedule to include none of these entities, and would love to see a series for serious competitors that would set their own rules of 15 to 20 drafting penalties, etc, or a penalty lap. I think they would be surprised that some of us care enough. I see your words to not be bothered by those that cheat, and you are right, but I love the sport too much to let it go. Old and stubborn, call it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But Gary, they are just there to meet friends and have a good time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right Chip. How about you.....20 minutes for drafting, not that your race has an issue. Maybe you could get some good pub out of it if we spin it right. I think races like yours will be on my schedule mostly next year. Might as well support those that give a shit.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys aware that there was 131 penalties handed out at that race?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there...the whole day. Oddly, with a person from USAT who was doing his best. Part of the issue later was that ALL penalties were added to the run split I guess....

But (and again) - why does the USAT not publish a database of who got what and when...and how often! We really have the ability to cheat week after week and race after race as there are no cumulitive penalties or suspensions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about Racine? They split out the penalties and have the actual ref's report of penalties and what type on the main website.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
She would not need 240 to 260 watts, I road a 2:25 on 178 watts.

Do you want my power file?

I can put it up tomorrow evening when I get home.

It's funny that many people think that everyone has to put out 250 watts to go that fast. I'm pretty sure that I remember Adrienne out on the course and she is smaller than I am.

Adrienne, I was the small guy on the blue P2 that leap-frogged with you a few times early in the course.

jaretj

you are one slippery eel. I needed 206 watts (NP) for a 2:28. I'm 5'6" 145, Cervelo P2k, H3 front, disc cover rear.

btw, did anyone else find that the course was short 1 mile? My Power tap had 55.2 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are making my 2:23 @ 252/257 seem really pathetic. I had the course .5 miles short.
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin was the same. I had it about .5 short.

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [SBRW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My solution to this problem was to skip Racine and do the Door Country Half-Iron that takes place the same day. A great event that has exact distances and deep water to swim in. You should think about doing this event next year; I'm glad I made the switch.

Bingo!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [SBRW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
DUDE! Seriously! Shut the hell up! Don't spoil it by sending those drafting/cheating sons-a-bitches up here! ;-)

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit of Racine -- another way short swim [christian1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin had about a mile short but I didn't start it until I got to the top of the hill (oops) and didn't stop it until my bike was racked. Regardless, that's still a good piece of trail we missed on!

Anyway, next year I'm running tire pressure just a little lower... I'm NOT a fan of all those seams in the pavement!

"I learned... that it is foolish to scold. I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence." -Dale Carnegie
Quote Reply

Prev Next