Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinning
Quote | Reply
I just completed my second ever spinning workout tonight. I can't believe what a workout it is (and rush). If this doesn't make me faster, than nothing will. Does anyone else participate in spinning on a regular basis, and any feedback? (I personally like the view, as most participants are female)

Sore legs but motivated,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning [Tri-ing in TO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use spinning classes in the winter (usually do a back-to-back class so I can get in 2 hours) and find it a nice change of pace from riding in my basement. I also find that the spin bikes are pretty stable so you can crank the tension up and work on developing power and climbing that the home trainer might not be able to handle. When it is nice outside, I can't bring myslef to stay indoors to train so I haven't been on a spin bike since early April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to do a couple of spin classes back to back to get a longer ride, then follow up with a 5k run so I can practice running off the bike. I can now run almost full speed straight off a 2 hour spin class.

The quality of the instructors is a bit variable though - my favorite instructor really knows his stuff. One of the things he does is bring spare heart monitors to the class so that people can use them and understand exactly how much effort they are putting in. You need the HM to get the best from the class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a laugh, have a read of Hurricane Bob's column from xtri.com about his first spinning class:

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=820

IT still makes me crackup laughing (so be careful where you read it).

dt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my fixed gear to get some spinning in. You can do 2-3 hours on the road and get some serious work in!

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have been pretty lucky in that our local club has no less than 15 classes a week. They also break them into intensity ratings so if you want a recovery spin after a face there's one ready to go and if you want a heart-rate guided tour, just check the schedule.

We take in a class every tuesday & thursday for 1 hour before work. After work we usually follow up with a swim that night. Helps to get brick workouts in during hours of darkness too.

I totally agree that the instructor makes the class. Good technique and understanding of zone training is important. We are lucky to have a triathlete and personal fitness coach who rides competitively as our morning guide.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinning is your best training, no question. If you can spin on a Computrainer, that's better still.

I run spin classes, and the specifics of what you can do on a spin bike that you can't do on the road could make up a book. Basically, figure the time value at about 1.5X road time, because you don't have to deal with traffic or signals, then figure the intensity increase you can generate by not dealing with distraction.

Your second best training time: Big hills!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply