Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinergy Rev X Axle/Bearing issue
Quote | Reply
Hi There
I’ve built up a softride and have a set of Spinergy Rev X wheels on it.
I have an issue with the front wheel when I tighten the skewer the front wheel is hard to turn.
I’m guessing an axle/bearing issue.
Does anyone know where I can source a new axle/bearing kit?
I’ve tried Spinergy but no luck.
Yes, they are old but wheels are in good condition and bike will only be ridden on Sundays to church😉
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X Axle/Bearing issue [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked the bearings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue on a HED Jet9 wheel. What happens is the clamping force pushes on the inner race, causing the bearings to bind. Reducing the clamping pressure should help. Also, adjusting the conical "washers" at each end of the axle can reduce the bearing displacement (very slight adjustments, you don't want the wheel to be wobbly).

On a side note, there is the issue with some of those wheels spontaneously failing in a fairly catastrophic manner. Not a hub issue, but something to be aware of.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what you describe you are loading the bearings because the spacing isn't correct. Replacing the bearings without proper spacing will likely give you the same issue.

You need to solve that problem even if the bearings are replaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you not terrified about the vintage spinergy failing on you? I have one, no cracks visible around the rivets, but I'm chicken to take it out on the road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think those axles have a shoulder that the inboard side of the inner bearing race rests against like many of the modern hubs with cartridge bearings. There should be no way for the bearing to bind unless somehow the shoulder(s) got pushed in which means the axle likely has other issues too. Or possiblly the bearings were replaced at some point and were not seated fully so that when you tighten the skewer the inner bearing races are pushed in until they hit the axle shoulder. Or it could be something else entirely on a 20+ year old set of wheels.

Also, I don't remember the Rev X wheels failing suddenly but I do remember a crash where Andrea Tafi's knee got sliced open by one of the Rev X spokes!

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X Axle/Bearing issue [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those wheels will most definitely fall apart catastrophically.

A friend of mine was sponsored by Spinergy and was out doing some intervals on them about a month before Kona. One fo the wheels collapsed and he broke his collar bone and messed up his shoulder. Couldn't race that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X Axle/Bearing issue [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
I think those axles have a shoulder that the inboard side of the inner bearing race rests against like many of the modern hubs with cartridge bearings. There should be no way for the bearing to bind unless somehow the shoulder(s) got pushed in which means the axle likely has other issues too. Or possiblly the bearings were replaced at some point and were not seated fully so that when you tighten the skewer the inner bearing races are pushed in until they hit the axle shoulder. Or it could be something else entirely on a 20+ year old set of wheels.

Also, I don't remember the Rev X wheels failing suddenly but I do remember a crash where Andrea Tafi's knee got sliced open by one of the Rev X spokes!

Rich

I think that happened to Michele Bartoli, not to Tafi
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X Axle/Bearing issue [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I remember, a catastrophic wheel failure happened to user AJHull here on slowtwitch.

I remember because he replied directly to my ignorant comment
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=spinergy#p157602
Last edited by: jaretj: Jan 21, 21 3:47
Quote Reply