Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinal Stenosis
Quote | Reply
I finally had an MRI done to figure out why my left outer thigh was numb and why it would feel like someone took a blow torch to it after about 30 minutes into a run. (Spinal Stenosis)
I've been able to complete 3 Sprint Tri's so far this summer with two to go because the runs are short enough.But my goal is a half next year or the following year.With a few Oly's in between.
We started PT and also meloxicam for inflammation and gabapapentin for the nerves and are able to stretch out the run to 45 minutes, stop running, squat down for about 20 seconds and I can go on for another 20 minutes. Rinse repeat.
I don't think in the long run it will get any better, its possible a steroid shot would work although only a few can be administered.
He told me a surgeon would look at the MRI and say he could go in and open up the passage way to relieve the pressure on the nerve. Have any of you had experience with Spinal Stenosis? Treatments? Surgery? Minimal invasive surgery? Success?
I didn't see this coming, the only activity that flares it up is running. I can bike ,swim weights etc with no issues.
I'm 55 yo so I guess something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Stenosis [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same thing. Stretching, core strengthening and gradual run build has worked for me so far. Reading your other thread, it looks like this is your first season, so ramping up the running probably brought on the symptoms. Go to a good PT, they can give you the right exercise.

Biking can tighten the quads which pull on other muscles, so make sure you stretch well even though biking doesn't specifically bring on the symptoms. Also, hamstring stretches are important to keep the back loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Stenosis [Herbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree with Herbie...I've had spinal stenosis for over 20 years ( from an injury when i was a kid). I see a chiropractor regularly and am diligent with my stretching/strengthening. It does flare up pretty badly from time to time, but be patient and persistent! The research I've done makes me think surgery should be a total last option. btw it hasn't really slowed me down...I've run Boston 20x and just completed my 14th Im......don't lose hope and good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Stenosis [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got it. It's not an issue as long as your discs don't bulge and impinge nerve. This means having a healthy back which means healthy core and mobility/flexibility. I unfortunately have had two L5/S1 discetomy now each 5 years apart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just the one isolated area that is being affected at the moment (ie outer thigh of one leg)?
How long have the symptoms been going for?
In terms of options, I can only bring information from one side of the equation really. Sounds like from your history you have presented here that this is a relatively isolated nerve compression (if unilateral, sounds like just one nerve route being impinged). There are a few non surgical options you could potentially consider, including various injections to help settle down any oedema around the nerve and buy you some more time. Medication wise, meloxicam should be seen as a super short term solution, the longer term effects of NSAIDs are best avoided where possible. It may be that you limit taking them to before training sessions that you know will induce your symptoms and then avoid them on other days where possible. Obviously be careful with hydration if training hard with NSAIDs on board because of the risk of acute kidney injury. With the gabapentin, there is often a huge amount of room to work with this medication in terms of dosing, you may want to consider the newer version called pregabalin depending on cost etc where you are based. This class of medication is really only best for nerve type pain (often burning in nature), it will help quieten down any nerves which are overexcited because of injury. No great harm in taking these longer term if needed, just can make you a bit drowsy during the day so you can always adjust your dosage to take a higher amount to get you through the night etc.
As for surgery.....well always best to avoid where needed (and this is what pays my bills, so take this from someone who knows), but there are certain situations where the only viable option left is surgery.
Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Stenosis [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is just the one area. It only presents itself when I run,at least that's the only time its a problem. I can bring it on at will by putting my left hip and leg into extension.
I have had symptoms for awhile maybe two years but never the acute burn that forces me to stop running. Part of my left thigh is numb all the time.
I have been to a physical therapist and am diligently stretching a couple times a day. Along with targeting the core muscles.
Thanks for the heads up on the meloxicam he has me taking it every day 7.5mg. Right now i'm at 600 mg of gabapentin 3 times a day.
I guess for now its steady as she goes and see if it gets worse or better. If worse maybe try an injection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this procedure done for the exact same reason. Great results and no regrets.
Please email me at simon@bouldercoaching.com if you would like to chat further about it.

Simon Lessing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
Yes it is just the one area. It only presents itself when I run,at least that's the only time its a problem. I can bring it on at will by putting my left hip and leg into extension.
I have had symptoms for awhile maybe two years but never the acute burn that forces me to stop running. Part of my left thigh is numb all the time.
I have been to a physical therapist and am diligently stretching a couple times a day. Along with targeting the core muscles.
Thanks for the heads up on the meloxicam he has me taking it every day 7.5mg. Right now i'm at 600 mg of gabapentin 3 times a day.
I guess for now its steady as she goes and see if it gets worse or better. If worse maybe try an injection.

Sounds tough all round.
Can I just check, is the acute burn you get in the same area that things are numb or is that in a different distribution?
Obviously, physical therapy has its uses to help work around the issue but, and hopefully this is not too controversial, it cannot really reverse the process or alleviate the symptoms if you have actual nerve compression. Decompression may be the only option, although there are some relatively straight forward x-ray guided injections that may help depending on the exact pathology. These injections can help settle down any oedema around the area where the compression is occurring and settle down any nerve fibres that are firing too much.
If you have had an MRI or CT scan done feel free to PM me the report.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Stenosis [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes its the same area as the numbness. The numbness is just on the skin layer. not the muscle.
Would this be a written report? Or the MRI scan,pictures etc?
I never received a report but I never asked for one either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a neurosurgeon, and treat this routinely.

Happy to chat offline if you like.

Shoot me a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have meralgia paresthetica.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply