Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spin it out - high cadence 'recovery'
Quote | Reply
I've recently been on a riding program that often uses high cadence, low wattage, intra-ride 'recovery' breaks. Personally, I find spinning 110+rpm after a solid work effort to be a miserable experience. So I was wondering, is there any proven research/ science behind this 'spin it out' idea, or is any (non-static) recovery likely to be just as effective?
Quote Reply
Re: Spin it out - high cadence 'recovery' [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m naturally a pretty high cadence guy. But holy crap... 110 cadence recovery is off the carts. Most folks I know cannot hold 110. I’m no coach, but that’s crazy talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Spin it out - high cadence 'recovery' [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, 90 is spinning it out. Why 110?
Quote Reply
Re: Spin it out - high cadence 'recovery' [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks. That makes me feel a lot better about my 95 cadence efforts during the allotted interval. I'm not sure why it calls for 110+, I guess that was the question. Resistance called for is very low, like 120W, but even then maintaining that kind of cadence isnt easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Spin it out - high cadence 'recovery' [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I’m naturally a pretty high cadence guy. But holy crap... 110 cadence recovery is off the carts. Most folks I know cannot hold 110. I’m no coach, but that’s crazy talk.

I just looked out of curiosity at my power interval sets. 105rpm avg for each 3min rep. At higher power rpm in the 90's feels like a grind to me.

But, oddly I feel really uncomfortable spinning my high cadence in recovery because the pedal feel is so darn light at anything below 150w. Generally I recover around 90ish rpm. Maybe 85..

I'm guessing the idea might be to recover at low power but high cadence to keep the HR from crashing low and "flush" out from the last effort. Just a dumb guess.

In warmups sometimes I'll give it 150w and spin at 110 to 130 for 30 seconds at a time. Seems to "prime" the system for some painful work to come.
Quote Reply