Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL
Quote | Reply
I was one of the SAG drivers at IMFL today. This was my first time doing anything more than passing out water at an aid station and I thought I’d share my thoughts. First, I want to tip my hat to the organizers at Ironman for pulling this together. I never really appreciated how much goes on behind the scenes and the volunteer captains were very organized and effective when it came telling volunteers where to be, what to do, and how to do it.

In total I drove about a dozen DNFs in. Of those, about six were having nutrition-related issues, one was general fatigue, and the remainders failed to make time cut offs.

Even though it wasn’t my official job, I repaired about a dozen flat tires. I brought my own pump, some tubes, and a tire lever. Of those, five were Vitoria Corsa Speeds. The very first tire I had to repair was a CS. I heard a call go out over the radio for a bike tech with that athlete’s bib number so I assume he flatted again. The roads were in pretty good shape. One of the CS flats was a tubular and I had to call a bike techs for a new front wheel. One flat was the result of the athlete’s rim tape failing. The balance of flats I saw were either pinch flats or flats that occurred for no obvious reason.

Early on in the first loop there were four separate instances of athletes having issues with their tires rubbing. In all three cases the athletes had new “wide” rims on an older frame.

From what I saw, the front of the race was well behaved in terms of drafting (I’m talking top 20). The rest of the race was a draft fiesta. There’s no other way to put it and, seeing it from the perspective of a volunteer and knowing what resources we had available... it’s impossible to police with course marshals. Either a technology solution is needed or we’ll just have to live with the status quo.

The “fast” crowd seemed to all be rocking Speed Concepts and P5s. There were a handful of IAs and Shivs and, surprisingly, at least four or five Plasmas.

I never fully appreciated the “aero bike but riding on the base bar” meme until today. Holy cow. Don’t take this the wrong way but, normally when I race, I just never see those people. We’re probably looking at 75%+ of the “aero” bikes out there being ridden the majority of the time with the rider out of aero.

That’s all I’ve got.

Edit: I want to add that there are some really bad drivers out there that need to chill out. I saw some drivers blatantly disobey law enforcement turning exactly when and where they weren't supposed to. One athlete was hit by a car leaving a busy Church. Said athlete had to be airlifted. Stay safe people.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 4, 18 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for giving back to the sport. Respect........

I agree it's really eye opening to see it from other than inside.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great writeup. I’ve often thought about volunteering for my closest full Ironman event but it’s a pretty hefty drive. I have a paddleboard so I’d like to be on the water to assist.

I’m really surprised by your comment about the number of people riding on the base bars. Was it ‘slower’ riders who tended to be out of aero, or did you notice any other trends? I don’t recall seeing that many people out of aero during events.

On a related note, I can’t believe how many riders I see with terrible bike positions, as in painful to look at.
Last edited by: dktxracer: Nov 4, 18 17:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volunteering at an IM is fun and a great way both to give back plus see the race from a different perspective. I did it a few times at IMLP when my wife was racing and worked as a wetsuit peeler (you get soaked but it's a blast) and as a finish line catcher. As you said, you come away with an even greater appreciation and respect for what it takes to pull off such an event.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for volunteering today!!!!

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Great writeup. I’ve often thought about volunteering for my closest full Ironman event but it’s a pretty hefty drive. I have a paddleboard so I’d like to be on the water to assist.

I’m really surprised by your comment about the number of people riding on the base bars. Was it ‘slower’ riders who tended to be out of aero, or did you notice any other trends? I don’t recall seeing that many people out of aero during events.

On a related note, I can’t believe how many riders I see with terrible bike positions, as in painful to look at.

I live about an hour away from the race venue. I was up at 4:45 and got home around 8:00pm. I'm pretty tired but it was totally worth it to me.

I would say 75% of the field was out of their aerobars ten miles into the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was volunteering over in medical. It really was eye-opening. Appreciate and thank the volunteers! And nail down that fluid/nutrition/electrolyte management!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering!

Such a hot day...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [skgunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skgunn wrote:
I was volunteering over in medical. It really was eye-opening. Appreciate and thank the volunteers! And nail down that fluid/nutrition/electrolyte management!

Man, you guys were BUSY based on the radio chatter. Regarding the nutrition, I just started dating a girl who's an ultra-runner and she framed long distance endurance sports for me in a way I'd never thought about it: it's an eating competition. Your muscular strength/endurance is secondary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. Note - drafting can be conquered if there is a desire to conquer it. They did it (mostly) in Roth and there are far more competitors. Of course that requires waves starts, which I understand is very emotional but works.

Thank you for your service.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP,
1) thanks for volunteering
2) this: 75%+ of the “aero” bikes out there being ridden the majority of the time with the rider out of aero. I think this is true for our sport - every race, every distance. This is why comfort is my primary driver as a fitter and this is why I eye roll at so much of "what's the most aero bar tape" type of discussions.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both volunteered as bike catchers from first off the bike (12:00ish) till about 4:00. After about the first hour of catching, there were a lot of athletes that went into the med tent for nutrition purposes. Some were falling over trying to dismount the bike and could swing their leg over or were clearly dehydrated and were walking around T2 drunk.

The weather yesterday was kind of strange, mostly overcast, but warm and humid with very little breeze. Could have been tricky for some people to navigate their nutritional needs during that kind of weather.

I will also say, I was pretty amazed that Ironman and Haines City were able to pull this off. While there were some hiccups along the way, the race seemed to operate smoothly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering! From the MOP view in the field, I observed a pretty clean race once we got past the first 28 flat miles. There were a lot of folks pushing the draft zone envelope through the day but I only saw one blatant wheel-sucker the whole day. I'm glad I did not see the trains you witnessed. The heavy rain came near 8pm when I was on my last mile. You could have ridden a kayak down the red carpet. Crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
GP,
2) this: 75%+ of the “aero” bikes out there being ridden the majority of the time with the rider out of aero. I think this is true for our sport - every race, every distance. This is why comfort is my primary driver as a fitter and this is why I eye roll at so much of "what's the most aero bar tape" type of discussions.

Ian

After watching yesterday, I get it. Again, I race mostly short course (occasional 70.3) and I'm generally at the front of the pack on the bike so I don't really "see" people out of aero. Also, when you're racing I don't think you really have the mindset to observe stuff like "hey, that guy's bottle cage is upside down". After seeing the entire field yesterday, if I were in the bike business I would push hard for high stack, comfort, and storage integration. The market for ultra-aero low and long bikes seems to be much smaller than I ever would have guessed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I never fully appreciated the “aero bike but riding on the base bar” meme until today. Holy cow. Don’t take this the wrong way but, normally when I race, I just never see those people. We’re probably looking at 75%+ of the “aero” bikes out there being ridden the majority of the time with the rider out of aero.

Any insight into this one?

Are you talking about TT bars with pads?

Like, was this where they can stay in a straight line or was it a corner or were they in traffic? Maybe folks feel "squirrelly" in them since they never practice it on the open road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for volunteering as a SAG driver! All of you guys did a GREAT job. I big shout out goes to the Haines City Police Department and the Polk County Sheriff's Department. Those guys and gals did a FANTASTIC job of keeping everyone safe. Hope to see most of you again in April at IM 70.3 Florida! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

After seeing the entire field yesterday, if I were in the bike business I would push hard for high stack, comfort, and storage integration. The market for ultra-aero low and long bikes seems to be much smaller than I ever would have guessed.

Like the old Shiv.

I'm on ST every day, but constantly chuckle at the constant reference to it being a "slow" bike, too tall, blah blah blah.
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Thank you for volunteering as a SAG driver! All of you guys did a GREAT job. I big shout out goes to the Haines City Police Department and the Polk County Sheriff's Department. Those guys and gals did a FANTASTIC job of keeping everyone safe. Hope to see most of you again in April at IM 70.3 Florida! Z

Agreed on this part. Those guys really had to "work" to keep the athletes safe. Dealing with drivers that are in a hurry to get from point A to point B is not easy and having to do it in the afternoon sun doesn't make it any easier. There was one incident near the "bottom" of the bike course where you have 3-4 Churches close to each other. A car pulled out and hit a cyclist. Cyclist had to be airlifted. I don't know their status but hopefully they are ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Any insight into this one?

Are you talking about TT bars with pads?

Like, was this where they can stay in a straight line or was it a corner or were they in traffic? Maybe folks feel "squirrelly" in them since they never practice it on the open road.

I'm talking about people on TT bikes riding with their hands on the base bar before they even get to the first aid station. That bike course was far from technical. There were tons and tons and tons of long, straight, flat sections that were ideal to just get into aero and churn the pedals. Yet people were on their base bar. It's an old meme around here but I always assumed it was a back of pack phenomenon. Nope. It's more like a "nearly all of the pack" phenomenon!
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 5, 18 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I was out there at mile 24 after you made the left hand turn onto Timberlane and around mile 44 along the rolling hills part. It's interesting to see who pays attention to their gear and set up and others who aren't that concerned. Nearly the entire FOP bike was rocking deep front, disc, GP4S, BTA/ BHS bottles and aeroheads. Saw some really solid fits and some fits that just looked painfull to hold for 56 miles let alone 112 miles.

Drafting didn't seem as bad except along the back part along rte17 where it looked like athletes were pushing the draft zone. And some looked like they were suffering bad on the rolling hills Also noticed athletes loaded their bikes with bottles and bento bags stuffed and overflowing with gels. Do some forget there is special needs? Why carry everything except the kitchen sink.

I left the bike and headed over to run out to get my own version of shoe count. Nike dominated the first 20-30 athletes then tricked down to Hoka, Adidas and Sketchers.

From what i saw, there were so many volunteers in and around transition. Not sure how stacked the aid stations were with volunteers though.

I was impressed Ironman was able to pull it off on such short notice. It appeared the town of HC welcomed the full distance, but it just didnt have the Ironman vibe. It felt more like a local independent race. Could just be me or that i'm used to it being in Panama City. Hopefully PCB can rebuild and it returns next year. Which i predict will be a huge celebration it is does
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

After seeing the entire field yesterday, if I were in the bike business I would push hard for high stack, comfort, and storage integration. The market for ultra-aero low and long bikes seems to be much smaller than I ever would have guessed.

Like the old Shiv.

I'm on ST every day, but constantly chuckle at the constant reference to it being a "slow" bike, too tall, blah blah blah.

The old Shiv tri was/is a great bike. I have one. It's a perfect 70.3 bike for me. I carry a big bottle between my arms, fill the bladder, keep one bottle behind my saddle as a backup, and I don't have to stop at any of the aid stations as a result. Its high-stack nature gets a lot of flack around here and, truth be told, I can just barely hit my fit on it by slamming everything. That said, for 95% of the field, it probably has ideal geometry. Just give it bosses for a proper bento box, swap it to direct mount brakes, and incorporate some comfort into the bike however you can (suspension stem and seat post?) and you're golden.
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We WILL BE BACK in PCB next May for the IM 70.3 Gulf Coast Triathlon and in November for the 21st IM Florida! Registration opens today for athletes that were entered in yesterday's event and also for volunteers who help out this weekend! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I noticed that about the Aerohead too. Probably 3/4 people in the top 30 were rocking that helmet. That was also the Speed Concept and P5 crowd. I don't think anyone in those first 30 were using anything other than a rear disc. Not much low-hanging fruit on any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Spending Time on the “Other Side”: Observations from Volunteering at IMFL [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian, fits can be both comfortable and aerodynamic, in fact proper aero fits actually *are* the most comfortable

ianpeace wrote:
GP,

Ian

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next