Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay zero... worth the money?
Quote | Reply
Hey people! I am in need of a watts guru who could tell me if the (speedplay zero + wattshop low stack adapter) are really worth the money? In term of watts or second, what do they save? Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [Mathias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run them and think you might as well get any marginal gains. You need pedals, my preferred pedal is Speedplay so may as well get the most aero set. As for the stack adaptor for any marginal gains they give, I'm not into sending my shoes away to the UK plus cost involved and having holes drilled in them to accommodate. I like to be able to sell my old shoes.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Feb 22, 20 22:00
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [Mathias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.ero-sports.com/...lay-zero-aero-pedals

http://speedplay.com/...=home.slipperypedals

Bottom line is that they do provide significant gains (even without the one-sided aero pedal). They are both lower profile than Look/Shimano, and you can add the aero cleat covers easily.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep being pointed to this page as proof that speedplays are faster than others, yet I always find this:

"Now, what we didn’t do was test the Speedplays against other pedal systems (i.e. Shimano or Look) because it’s difficult and time consuming to accomplish."
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I keep being pointed to this page as proof that speedplays are faster than others, yet I always find this:

"Now, what we didn’t do was test the Speedplays against other pedal systems (i.e. Shimano or Look) because it’s difficult and time consuming to accomplish."

I think gains are lower than the margin of error of measuring equipment in a standard windtunnel setup so that makes sense.
They are just very nice pedals (low stack, easily adjusted etc...) so enough selling points.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

It's worth noting the two sentences after, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but no data. The bottom line is there is no available objective data to choose speedplays over other pedal systems for aeroness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Sure, but no data. The bottom line is there is no available objective data to choose speedplays over other pedal systems for aeroness.

This is my takeaway for now as well. They are more aero than standard speedplays (probably), but unknown against Look/Shimano. I'll still use my Vectors unless their is more substantiated evidence that they're costing me 5w+
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seem to have ditched the aero model. Not sure why as it seemed pretty popular in the TT scene here.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero... worth the money? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still on the website, so why do you say they ditched them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

Well there's objective anecdotal evidence (Jim@ERO tell us the data exists, and he's seen it). Objective in the sense that Jim doesn't sell Speedplay, afaik, and has no particular self-interest in promoting it.

Combined with eyeball windtunnel - the Speedplay with aero cleat is low stack and clearly shaped in something that looks pretty aero.

Combine that with it being a good pedal system just as a pedal, and it's enough for me.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 23, 20 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unknown data as the number is not disclosed. But don't forget he says the comparison is very difficult to do. I.e. choose the pedal you like best, forget the aero numbers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More data: https://quintanarootri.com/...h-performance-center

Matt Hanson saw a 4W improvement and spent his own money on Speedplays after windtunnel testing - he appears to have been on Time Espresso pedals before.
Quote Reply